PDA

View Full Version : Diameter for a cane

Kathy Marshall
12-22-2011, 9:19 PM
I'm out in the shop, roughing a cylinder for a cane for one of the girls at the office. She wants to give it as a gift for Christmas. Sooo... what would be a good diameter for a cane and would you do a straight cylinder or would it be better tapered from the center slightly out to each end? It's going to be 33 1/2" and all one piece, and it has to be finished tonight :eek:
I'll be checking back periodically while I'm roughing.
THANKS!

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 9:25 PM
Just looked online to see what tips are available and 1" is the common size

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 9:34 PM
look at this link it gives more info under the middle tab http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1677&filter=cane

David E Keller
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm assuming mesquite? I would think somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8 would be about right although I've never turned one. As for the shape, I think a gentle taper from thick top to slightly thinner bottom would be pleasing.

If you're friend is planning to add a cap to the end, that may determine the necessary size at the tip.

Kathy Marshall
12-23-2011, 3:37 AM
Thanks guys!
Got it finished up at about 1:00am :eek:. All I can say is she dang better well like it! lol
It's a gift for her son who just bought an antique coat rack thing for his new house, and it has a cane holder. I didn't have any stock long enough or dry enough for such a long spindle, so when she asked if I could turn her a cane, I told her if she bought the wood and the kit, I would turn it.
I sent her to Woodworkers Source to see if they had something that she liked, and she liked Zebra wood. The salesman was nice enough to rip a 5' strip off of a 12/4 plank and we were in business. I think she told me the spindle cost around $65.

Even with the steady, there was quite a bit of flex and chatter, but the 80 grit gouge cleaned up the unintentional texturing. It's 33 1/2" and I needed a quick finish, so after sanding to 800 I applied some BLO then burnished it in with the lathe running. Then I applied some shellac (sp?) and while still wet, burnished that in with the lathe running. Last was some Ren wax. I'm pretty happy with the finish, especially as it was so quick.
The pic isn't great, but at 1:00am it's the best you're gonna get :eek: :D.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Michelle Rich
12-23-2011, 6:27 AM
Doesn't appear you needed us up & awake last night. the cane looks great. Good taper from top to bottom & I like the metal. I have always liked that unit, as it gives one a lot of room for a creative handle. Do you have rubber on the bottom? If not go to local hardware & look in furniture rubber bottoms..you should find something that will fit. Good job!

Nate Davey
12-23-2011, 7:55 AM
Nicely done Kathy. Nice uniform taper and the finish is great. Did you use a skew for the work or gouges?

Sid Matheny
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Nice job Kathy I like the looks of the taper. I made one a few months ago using that handle kit but made mine in 3 sections. Didn't want to try the long spindle.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/Sidro59/Cain2.jpg

Sid

Craig Matheny
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Kathy looks great nice job

Allan Ferguson
12-23-2011, 2:07 PM
Drugs stores carry the cane tips. If it is just for look then don't bother with it. Good wood.

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2011, 3:11 AM
Nicely done Kathy. Nice uniform taper and the finish is great. Did you use a skew for the work or gouges?
Nate, I used my roughing gouge for the whole piece except for cleaning up the ends and the tenon for the handle. I rarely use a skew (really need to start practicing and get comfortable with one).

Nice job Kathy I like the looks of the taper. I made one a few months ago using that handle kit but made mine in 3 sections. Didn't want to try the long spindle.

Sid
Doing it in sections would definitely be easier. Even with the steady rest there was some flex and chatter, might have been better with a different type of wood too.

Here's a little better pic taken at my office. She really liked it and one of the guys that actually needs a can (crushed his hip a couple years ago) saw it and wants me to make one for him. I think I'l try to steer him towards a nice piece of walnut for his.

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 7:58 AM
Kathy, if you get into the cane making thing, I would encourage you to use riven wood. For someone that is actually going to bear weight on the cane (vs. display) I would be afraid of any shaft that had less than perfectly straight grain. If it were to split out, and someone fell on the shaft, the result could be severe.

Greg Just
12-24-2011, 9:16 AM
Very nice cane Kathy - something I have never tried. I second what John said (and I'm not a lawyer). I would worry about it breaking during use and the liability one might face. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas - looks like you got all your projects done.

Hayes Rutherford
12-24-2011, 9:37 AM
Nice looking cane and it looks like you got the thickness right.