PDA

View Full Version : Are you on the list?

Steve Clarkson
12-22-2011, 9:00 PM
So a customer e-mails me a copy of a letter that he got from our local county office. He had an alarm installed at his house (ADT) and he was required to get a permit from a division of the county sheriff's office (because in NYS there is a fee for EVERYTHING). Local law requires that anyone with an alarm have a 4"x6" (red rowmark) plaque with their permit number displayed on their house.

So the letter from the county provided the names and telephone numbers of local engravers that could make this plaque "for approximately $10". Of course I wasn't one of the six local engravers listed, but a quick phone call fixed that.

In the week since I got my name added to the list, I have made three plaques for local homeowners. And the set up is easy and I only had to change one or two numbers on each plaque since the county is nice enough to issue the permit numbers in sequential order.

So my point is, you should find out if your county issues alarm permits and if they require plaques......and then find out if they also send out a letter with engravers names/numbers and then make sure you are one of them.

Oh......and no, I do NOT sell the plaques for $10!

Bill Cunningham
12-22-2011, 9:27 PM
Ooooo I thought you meant the 'other' list.. I 'try' to be Nice, but sometimes I'm Naughty..Perhaps, hopefully, he 'really' doesn't check it twice.. :D

Martin Boekers
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Ooooo I thought you meant the 'other' list.. I 'try' to be Nice, but sometimes I'm Naughty..Perhaps, hopefully, he 'really' doesn't check it twice.. :D

Nice or Naughty? Hmmmmm I decided on Nice & Naughty! :D

Martin Boekers
12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Steve, It sounds like there is a big market there for "aftermarket plate" Ones you put up to make it look like
you have an alarm system! :D

Brian Kent
12-23-2011, 1:14 PM
I have four alarms. A german shepherd, a miniature pincher, a border collie, and a rhodesian ridgeback. Could I get an alarm sign with their photos?

Terry Swift
12-24-2011, 8:06 AM
Steve,

Here in Texas, we don't permit everyone to death - although sometimes it seems so. Signage can be a big business; but here in Arlington - sign makers are like 7-11's. Doing Rowmark type of signage is different. I'm trying to connect with a local builder to get in on the ground floor for doing office signage and other things in buildings they are building / renovating. I haven't found the right agency here in Texas; but when I ran a computer business out in Nevada, you could search all the new businesses opening up and then send out a letter / promo materials. Usually by that time, for my business, it was already after they had made their choices.

I am finally breaking down some of the barriers in some of the local governments to do awards, plaques, lapel pins, signage, etc. Some big orders are starting to flow in, but governments here work on the Net30 option - tying up valuable cash flow. :(