PDA

View Full Version : Cherry burl & NE red oak

Roland Martin
12-22-2011, 7:31 PM
Here's a couple of forms I turned a couple of months ago. The NE red oak bowl is 3" tall x 5 1/4 x 4 1/2 x 1/8" thick and finished with AO. The NE cherry burl bowl is 3" tall x 5" x 3/32" thick and finished with AO. I have'nt been posting much, I guess it's time to catch up. Thanks for looking and CCs are always welcome.

Ken Hill
12-22-2011, 8:05 PM
Both are very nicely done. Me like!!

Nate Davey
12-22-2011, 8:38 PM
Great job, Roland. The finish on the cherry burl is perfect.

David E Keller
12-22-2011, 8:40 PM
Nicely done on both pieces, but I prefer the oak form for the same reason that I mentioned in the other post... The curve you created makes the piece appear as those it's floating on the table which I find very appealing.

Fred Belknap
12-22-2011, 8:49 PM
I like both but the oak is my favorite. I normally like the bottom centered but this one I like. Like Keller said seems to float.

John Keeton
12-22-2011, 9:21 PM
Roland, the NE piece is great! I like the cherry burl, and the form is good. But, for an open NE piece, I would prefer a different form. The form you have seems to want a lid/finial, etc. Perhaps that is just what I am used to seeing!!:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 9:24 PM
Really nicely done on both pieces. I do like that cherry burl NE.

Baxter Smith
12-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Pretty work and woods Roland. Did you turn these to finish or twice turn them?

Richard Jones
12-23-2011, 5:39 AM
I will ditto what Mr. Keller said and add that I like the piece being unbalanced. I think we get too hung up on convention at times.

Plus, red oak can be a bear to turn, much less a NE. I salute your bravery, sir.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Rich

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 5:45 AM
Hey whats wrong with Red Oak:p Other then dealing with the tannin, its my most turned wood haha

Michelle Rich
12-23-2011, 6:23 AM
First piece is my favorite..great shape

Roland Martin
12-23-2011, 7:02 AM
Thanks everybody. Both pieces were once turned and both behaved pretty well. I have'nt had the opportunity to work with burls much (yet):), and this burl was rather small and offered very little design variations without losing what little eyes were present. Like I said though, not much experience with burls and some of you with that experience, I'm sure, could have foreseen a more viable form. That's why I keep coming to the SMC Academy:D.