PDA

View Full Version : Comment please on "newfangled" AKA "pipeclamp" workbench

Gene Davis
12-22-2011, 4:09 PM
This is the workbench shown in an article in FW a few years ago, done by the mag's shop manager, and he has done a video on it and its use that can be seen online. Pipe clamps are used for the end vise, the front vise, and for a bottom-edge board support at the bench's front.

It is made with dimensional framing lumber, but one would want good KD straight stuff, preferably something like VG doug fir. Lumber like that plus some really perfect KD western spruce, is available to us locally.

Am trying to talk my neighbor, upper 60s and not really a woodworker yet, into building it. He owns a few power tools and little to no hand tools. I sort of jumpstarted his interest in doing woodworking, something he has wanted to do but just has not had the energy to start, by having him work with me on a pair of Christmas gift tool tote boxes. Plans were in a mag he gets that came to my mailbox by mistake. We built them with hand-cut dovetailed joints, used antique heart pine for the carcases, bought a choice piece of curly maple for the curved handles, etc. Nice results. We used the bandsaw, tablesaw, router table, tenoning jig, routers, a whole lot of clamps, and a lot of my hand tools. Sharpened all on the waterstones, yadda, yadda, yadda.

All this for his benefit, to see what it takes to make something nice. He has been reading FW for years and subscribing to two or three other woodworking monthlies. You know the type. Wants to, reads all about it, but just cannot seem to get started.

We did all the hand work at my bench, a heavy affair with a Jorgensen front vice and an end vice arrangement made with a wood handscrew. He appreciated the ability to clamp any workpiece in whatever position needed, onto a really solid base.

I am telling him that a bench is essential, that one cannot really do anything at all joinery-wise, without a bench and its clamps. The pipeclamp thing, as seen in the FW video, seems pretty good to me, and should work well for his limited needs. Best of all, making it is easy, and the material costs should be under $250. That is for every last thing in it.

What do you know about working with this bench or making it? I see on YouTube that someone else has made a version of it, but IMHO, put too many gimmicks into it. Another version of it with a heavier base and top is shown in Google's 3D Warehouse for Sketchup. I'm a power-user of SU.

Hoping for some replies and discussion. Happy holidays!

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 5:31 PM
If I had the room, I'd build a version of that bench just for gluing up panels. Other than that, I've looked but not seriously considered. I have visions of hand cut wooden vise screws and Scandinavian shoulder vises dancing in my head.

Thom Porterfield
12-22-2011, 7:24 PM
I asked Santa for a Benchcrafted wagon vice.

Unfortunately, Santa's income won't support the asking price.

And I don't have the skills or (ambition to learn them) to make a wooden left-hand thread screw.

So yeah, the newfangled workbench has its allure. I have LOTS of Jorgie pipe clamps.

Carl Babel
12-22-2011, 7:51 PM
Gene, the same author (John White) went on to make another workbench that he titled "The Wired Workbench". While it doesn't have as many ways to hold things as his "newfangled" bench, when you consider what it does have along with all of the great support for hand held power tools and dust collection, it seems perfect for beginners. Just do an internet search for "Wired Workbench". You might have to set up a free account on Fine Woodworking to see the details.

Greg Hines, MD
12-22-2011, 8:53 PM
If cost is the major element, Christopher Schwartz 24-hour workbench has done everything I have needed for years now, and it cost considerably south of $250, even when you include a front vise, and bench dogs/wonder dogs in lieu of a tail vise.

Doc

fRED mCnEILL
12-22-2011, 9:11 PM
I have that workbench that I built about 10 years ago and it does the job quite nicely. I seldom udse the clamps that run lenghtwise but its a good palce to store 7 foot long clamps. I used straight grained douglas fir Can't remeber all the details of construction but it has served me well. I built it so it can also double as an It has served me well. outfeed table fot the cabinet saw.

Jim Matthews
12-23-2011, 8:32 AM
There are two variants worth considering, Ron Paulk's Ultimate Workbench (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJoGTf6KL8s&feature=related) (plans available from the designer) and Blum Tools company's torsion box variant (http://www.blumtool.com/pages/fullsizeworkbenches.html).

The Blum Tool version was the inspiration for my Cheapo Pipeclamp Moxxon vise - which proved the concept viable.216992
If it was my time, I would buy the Blum tool Co. version of the top that best fit my space.
I don't have the hours available to build something like this.

glenn bradley
12-23-2011, 8:38 AM
I liked the article and find the bench clever. Lots of good ideas whether you make the entire bench or not.

Dustin Keys
12-23-2011, 9:41 AM
You're describing me (with the exception of age). I finally decided to dive in several months ago and just start building. After over-analyzing dozens of workbench designs, I settled on Tom's Torsion Box Workbench (google that and you'll find plenty of info on it along with thorough step-by-step building plans). The New Fangled Workbench was probably the runner-up for me, and one I gave a lot of consideration to building. I ultimately decided not to build that one as I was unsure whether or not I would like the moving pipe clamp system. I thought that I needed a more traditional design at least for a few years so that I could see what kind of work I enjoy doing and what my bench dreams really are.

Now that I've built the torsion box bench, I'm very happy I chose that design. The face and end vise designs are really easy and fast to work with, and at least for now I'm glad I don't have to mess with moving those pipe clamps or mdf panels around everytime I want to clamp something in place. I'm sure the New Fangled bench is easy to operate once you get used to it, but I'm happy with less to worry about for the time being.

Either bench would work great I think, but I'm happy with the choice I made and would do it again.

D

Gene Davis
12-23-2011, 9:54 AM
Hey, Dustin!

My bench is the Tom's Torsion Box, and I made it from a plan in a magazine, Woodwork is the name (I think), and it was from a number of years back. Mine has the horizontal shelves across the front spandrel box that is just right for all my handplanes. Just like shown in the original article. I believe it was called "weekend workbench."

I used Weyerhaeuser composite 2x lumber for mine, instead of sawn lumber. It is ridiculously heavy. My neighbor enjoyed working at it. Thanks for telling me about this name for it. I found all the sites where it is discussed.

James Carmichael
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
That is a slick bench. I have often thought about what all could be done with pipe clamps on a bench. It looks simple to make a Federal style vise with them (that's what the "front vise" is in the video). A $20 veneer press screws will work for a wagon vise, too.

There was a reader tip in FWW a couple years back where a guy had threaded 3/4" dog holes in the top and aprons of his maple top for 1/2" ID steel pipe, allowing him to use pipe clamps as holdfasts all sorts of other possibilities.

Thom,

If you're talking about a Shaker-style end vise, that can be made with a regular vise screw. Same for the wagon vise. The Benchcrafted stuff looks awesome, but I can't justify the expense, either.