PDA

View Full Version : RIP Cat

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-22-2011, 2:45 PM
My daughter's boss had a very old cat that she put to rest last week. She asked me for an urn. I had a couple roughed out hollow forms around and chose one that I thought the cat might like. This one is cherry and is 7" in diameter. I made a collar from ebony and a cherry finial. I never made a finial before so I chose a simple shape. She will have to epoxy it in after the ashes are inside since threading is not in my skill set. I sprayed it with two coats of high gloss Chemcraft precat. This is the first I used that particular lacquer and I must say it was a pleasure. The gloss doesn't show in the photo. Some of you camera guys may know why. Possibly the light filtered through the photo tent reduces the direct light enough to make the finish appear flat. Anyway, thanks for looking.
faust

Roger Chandler
12-22-2011, 2:56 PM
Nice work Faust!

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 3:00 PM
That is a great urn Faust! The finial is exceptional! Well done on the effort to ease the loss of a friend.

John Keeton
12-22-2011, 4:05 PM
Nice "flame" appearance with the finial! The cherry is beautiful and the ebony collar is a nice contrast - just enough.

David E Keller
12-22-2011, 4:09 PM
Lovely work! Not being a 'cat person', it seems a bit over the top to put a cat in an urn... Nevertheless, it's a very nice looking urn!

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2011, 4:26 PM
That's nice work Faust! I really like your finial! I guess you could call it your signature style, seeing as how all your finials have this form!;)

Jeff Fagen
12-22-2011, 4:34 PM
I would like to turn pet urns but don't understand the math for size or how to set up for threads.If you have too much ash for the size can you hide the remander in the BBQ grill?:cool:

Pete Jordan
12-22-2011, 4:40 PM
Excellent job, Faust!

I am sure it will be greatly appreciated!

Mike Meredith
12-22-2011, 5:12 PM
A very rough estimate is 11 cubic inches/pound of carcass (more for dogs less for cats). The fireplace is a reasonable alternative but this figure will get you pretty close.

As to the threads, threading a separate challenge. Hand chasing is easy to learn and the Alan Batty and John Berkley dvds make the process doable. if you are going into the process with no desire to master thread chasing, i suggest the Baxter Thread Master. Not cheap but it will produce quality threads the first (probably second ) time you use it. See http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/bathma.html

Ken Glass
12-22-2011, 5:14 PM
Faust,
A very fitting shape on the Finial and it could be used for any ashes. Well Done.

Nate Davey
12-22-2011, 6:48 PM
Faust,

Very nice form and I like the finial. Very well done. I'm sure the recipient will treasure it, not only as the container for her cats remains, but as a work or art.

Tim Rinehart
12-22-2011, 6:59 PM
that is a nice form and gesture...well done.

Sid Matheny
12-22-2011, 7:08 PM
Looks great! Too good for a cat.:o

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 9:44 PM
Excellent Faust. Really nice wood combo's and do like the finial.

Steve Vaughan
12-22-2011, 9:48 PM
I agree with the others, it's beautiful as is, but as an urn, that finial really tops it off just right! They're gonna love it!

Baxter Smith
12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Very nice combination of woods and the form and finial are just as good. Elegantly simple and simply elegant Faust!

Michelle Rich
12-23-2011, 6:37 AM
I'd like to have an urn that nice for myself!! :-) super piece.