PDA

View Full Version : Coughing up a lung today (ok a little extreme)

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 2:22 PM
Ok turned some pens yesterday wood and acrylic and last night just coughed all night deep lung irritation and before anyone can say "I told you so" my wife beat you to it. Due to this my turning privileges have been revoked:( until I get some form of respirator or something to help with not breathing in the cr*p, So I need a simple, affordable but yet effective way of protection.

Robert McGowen
12-22-2011, 2:32 PM
I need a simple, affordable but yet effective way of protection.

Amazon - $22.11 with free shipping. Use it all the time. Very comfortable.

3M 7500 Series Reusable Half-Facepiece; Model 7502; Size: Medium

Dan Forman
12-22-2011, 2:52 PM
I agree on the 3M 7500, though I use a small - have a narrow nose bridge. You can get both dust and organic vapor cartridges, so can be protected from fumes when finishing.

Dan

Roger Wilson
12-22-2011, 2:56 PM
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/1272/dust-collection

Resp-o-rator...$50....two Hepa filters. Easy to use, no beard issues. Can be used with faceshield and eye protection and hearing protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9BAB8k9dI

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 3:10 PM
First Craig..do you smoke and how much? Trend is fine...the lack of a hard impact rating is what knock's it down. It's not rated for VOC so plan ahead. Think about it for a second...if you have to put on several things to turn a pen or saw a log, how often are you going to actually be compliant with that effort...mostly not! Trust me...my wife who is also a Respiratory Therapist will bust my butt and maybe a few bones in my face if I don't where my stuff. Suck it up and take care of business. I have no ties to Trend...just love the product and use it daily.

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 3:13 PM
First Craig..do you smoke and how much? . Smoked over 30 years ago nothing now.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-22-2011, 3:36 PM
I need something like that, will definitely ask santa! Oh, posted the video to facebook too!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 3:40 PM
I agree with the Trend Pro. I had the trend but sold it to purchase a Airstream AS 400. Not only lung protection but after that post this morning by Jerry the hard hat might come in handy. Expensive but like my doctor told me after three bronchial infections, "yes wood dust can cause emphysema." That got my attention quickly. I figured if the local grain elevators use them they must be good.

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 4:07 PM
Ok here it is I need to satisfy the boss so to do this in a fast effective manner I will most likely get the 3M 7500 Series Reusable Half-Face Mask for the short term and then put one of the other units on the must buy list. Life is to short to not be safe.
Thanks all for the input.

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 4:33 PM
Craig, I was turning a basting brush the other day...little sucker flew right off and smacked me on the right side of the face, face shield as it were, my choice of protection, due to a combination of a new lathe and excitement . There is a cool little nick in there that I look at with pride...would have been a few stitches in an already messed up face. Thank you for quitting smoking...I won't have to take care of you later! Stuff like the 3M and the Trend are just amazing!! Some are a bit out of reach price-wise and some not.
I treated a gal in ER last week...forever smoker with a trach. All she wanted was a cigarette...on 60% O2...a walking explosion. Look at guys like Wally (sorry sir...I didn't ask first!) He is in his 80-90's? and still turning like most of us want to be now!!! You don't get to be that age with out being careful...although we all have screw ups...65 stitches and three surgery's in my left hand with a bone graft after a tablesaw stupid...for our families sake...step it up and be safe.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2011, 4:35 PM
Sounds like a smart move!

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 4:37 PM
No smart would have been asking ahead of time :D

Bill Wyko
12-22-2011, 4:45 PM
I think what you have here is the opportunity to put a Trent pro shield at the top of the Christmas list:D:D:D:D

Craig Matheny
12-22-2011, 4:47 PM
I got the Lathe already :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2011, 4:50 PM
Somethings you just have to learn on your own... Hopefully, you find some kind of filter system that will work for you!