PDA

View Full Version : So I finally pulled the trigger

Tom Hardy
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
After seeing all the new Monster set ups & the fantastic Hollow Forms on here. I finally ordered a Monster for my self. The pain killers from my surgery probably influenced me to, there should be a warning label on the pill bottle. :) So while i'am recovering for the next few weeks I thought i'd order the items needed to build me a steady rest. Similar to the Nicol rest but instead using a companion flange I will be using 1" black iron pipe to make the hoop. Any suggestions on the wheels. I want to make sure I get some that will hold up and not mark up the wood.

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Gratz on the purchase Tom...you're gonna love it:D!! I did the same thing with my Mutabo ROS...my wife wipes out all internet connections after a hospital visit now:o

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Tom - congrats on ordering the Monster hollowing system - you will love it! About the only suggestion on the wheels for your steady is to get some that are clear or non-colored. I have some clear roller blade wheels that are firm - not super soft or real hard - and they work great! Looking forward to seeing the photos! Hope you heal quickly and get back to turning soon!

Tom Hardy
12-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Gratz on the purchase Tom...you're gonna love it:D!! I did the same thing with my Mutabo ROS...my wife wipes out all internet connections after a hospital visit now:o

That's to funny me Wife said something similar.

Sparky Paessler
12-22-2011, 2:40 PM
I'm in the process of making a Nicol type rest myself. I am using the flange for mine though. I would second what Steve said about the clear firm wheels.

John Keeton
12-22-2011, 3:50 PM
Tom, a big congrats on the Monster rig!!! Life will be better going forward - for sure. No help on the steady - but, I do love my Nicol steady!

Rich Aldrich
12-22-2011, 6:34 PM
Since you are on drugs already (easy to justify your actions with your better half) and are in the ordering mood, order a Jeff Nichols steady reset. I just bought one last month and it works great. Now I just need a monster.

Tom Hardy
12-22-2011, 8:31 PM
Tom - congrats on ordering the Monster hollowing system - you will love it! About the only suggestion on the wheels for your steady is to get some that are clear or non-colored. I have some clear roller blade wheels that are firm - not super soft or real hard - and they work great! Looking forward to seeing the photos! Hope you heal quickly and get back to turning soon!

Thanks Steve, after the holiday I will go to the local skate shop and see if they can set me up with some clear firm wheels.

Roland Martin
12-22-2011, 9:18 PM
Congratulations Tom, another one bites the dust:D. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 9:26 PM
Congrats Tom. You are going to love it as it does make life easier. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Allen stagg
12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Acadamy has a wide choice and imagine a better price if you have an Acadamy close by.

Joe Watson
12-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Steve, after the holiday I will go to the local skate shop and see if they can set me up with some clear firm wheels.
Some time last year i did the same and was shocked by the price... i dont rember what it was but it was alot - way more then i planed on spending.
Did alittle searching around and picked up a few '99mm ABEC 5 Urethane Wheel' from rockler (clearence $2 apiece). Never got around to using them (yet), but the reviews said that they did not mark the wood.