PDA

View Full Version : Walnut log

Cam.Hedrick
04-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Next week I am picking up walnut log that has a nice curling in the middle of the log. Does anyone want this log? I live near Boone, NC. Perhaps it will be at a sawmill if no one wants it.
Let me know! It's free!:)

Philip Duffy
04-25-2003, 4:47 AM
Hi, Cam, How big is the log? Length and diameter, please. I have a small trailer, with sides so I wonder if it could fit. Williamsburg, VA vicinity. Phil

Keith Outten
04-25-2003, 8:03 AM
Phil,

I live in Gloucester County, about 20 minutes from Williamsburg. My neighbor has a Woodmiser sawmill and could saw the log. We both have Ebac dehumidification kilns as well.

I used to buy lumber from a mill not too far from you called Richardson's Mill, long gone out of business now but a great place in it's day. I was lucky and bought some walnut from Richardson's that came from the historic area of Williamsburg, the tree was planted about 1776 according to the ring count. The lumber I purchased from this particular tree has been used to make wooden nuts and bolts, truly a made in Virginia product.

Cam...I hope that you were able to save the tree roots. Around here walnut roots are supposedly more valuable than the lumber. I believe the roots are used for handles (guns and knifes). Very old walnut trees are normally pulled over by a wrecker to bring up the roots.