PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Bottom Finder

Peter Blair
12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I have hesitated to post this jig to this forum mainly because it seems to me all Creekers are far too advanced turners to need anything like this but just in case there are others out there who are still learning, I finally decided to give it a shot.

The reason I made this jig was because I really wanted to control the bottom thickness of my work. I usually finish bowls with a vacuum chuck and frequently, especially with NE bowls and others with strange rims.

I made it with 'stuff' I had laying around my shop so it didn't cost me anything and sure gives me a lot of confidence when finishing the bottoms of my bowls.

If you are interested check it out here http://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com/

Steve Busey
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice jig, Peter, but I can't help but think you're taking unneeded steps with measurements. Seems you could just align the arm with the end of your vacuum chuck, then mount the bowl/platter/etc and off you go!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Wow nice write-up. Thanks. You do know that finding the bottom of a bowl is not only a problem with a vacuum chuck. Any chuck hides the bottom of the bowl...

Peter Blair
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Hey Steve. That would work IF the bottom of my bowls were flat, not usually the case.

Steve Busey
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
would work IF the bottom of my bowls were flat, not usually the case. Ah, good point. I like the simplicity of the idea - good luck!

Jack Gaskins
12-22-2011, 7:30 PM
Its just easier to cover the funnel hole with duct tape.........works like a charm!

Peter Blair
12-22-2011, 7:33 PM
That's really good Jack, do you have a preference for the colour of the Duct tape?

Steve Vaughan
12-22-2011, 8:26 PM
@Peter, use camo...then you wouldn't even see it.:D

Peter Blair
12-22-2011, 9:37 PM
Not only are Creekers good turners but funny too!!