PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - Table Saw Tenoning Jigs

George Bokros
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
In your opinion which one is the best buy for the money and has the best features for the money?

The current Delta model, Grizzly, Woodriver, others??

Thanks

Mike Wilkins
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM
From the looks of the offerings, there is not much difference in the models listed or their function. That said, I plan to make my own out of scrap plywood that will ride over the rip fence like a saddle. Most of the woodworking books have an example listed. I had the Delta model but sold it after getting a sliding table saw. Now I need one but will forego the expense and make my own.

glenn bradley
12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
More or less the same in the $70 to $130 range it seems. I bought what was on sale (Rockler/Jet/Powermatic) and it has done everything it is supposed to for years without issue. Woodriver seems to be on sale right now.

Jim Rimmer
12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
From the looks of the offerings, there is not much difference in the models listed or their function. That said, I plan to make my own out of scrap plywood that will ride over the rip fence like a saddle. Most of the woodworking books have an example listed. I had the Delta model but sold it after getting a sliding table saw. Now I need one but will forego the expense and make my own.

+1 on making your own. I've seen several posts here by owners that indicate to me that the bought jigs don't fit well, are hard to set up and (at least to me) are expensive.

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 11:33 AM
I've got the Delta and it works fine and install was smooth other than I had to add a spacer to get it to line up right on my saw. I'd take a hard look around for one of the old Delta models. Those things look like they are in a whole 'nother class.

George Bokros
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I've got the Delta and it works fine and install was smooth other than I had to add a spacer to get it to line up right on my saw. I'd take a hard look around for one of the old Delta models. Those things look like they are in a whole 'nother class.

That is what I have heard also. Anyone know what the model number is for the old one? I had it at one time (the model number) but do not remember it.

Thanks for the reply's.

Dave Aronson
12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I just use my bandsaw for it.

Cary Falk
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
That is what I have heard also. Anyone know what the model number is for the old one? I had it at one time (the model number) but do not remember it.

Thanks for the reply's.

They go for about $250 on the bay.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I like my Delta - don't use it a whole lot, but when I do it's just fine. It was a toss-up between that one and all the others out there - they are all basically the same. I thought the Woodriver had pretty poor fit/finish but that was just from the floor model I had seen. I was considering making one but when the local Lowes dropped the price to around $60 I figured I should grab it.

Mike Monroe
12-22-2011, 1:22 PM
I've been using loose tenons. Makes a table saw tenoning jig moot.

Bill White
12-22-2011, 2:40 PM
Made a saddle jig for my fence out of off cuts. Cost? Nothing. Works? You betcha.
Bill

Myk Rian
12-22-2011, 3:01 PM
I have a Delta. Bought it because it seemed heavier duty than the others. Works very well.
The old iron Deltas are a bit limited in abilities, not to mention 2-3 times the cost.

Bruce Wrenn
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
There two different recent Delta models out there. I have both, and wouldn't walk across the room to get one over the other. Of course I mainly use mine for cutting bevels on the ends of flooring transition strips.

Dave Cav
12-23-2011, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the reply's.

Delta 1172. And yes, they are highly sought after and quite spendy when you can find one. I inherited mine from my dad.

I also have a Grizzly which I used more; as far as I can tell it's identical to the current Delta model I have at school. Most recently I have been cutting tenons on my shaper using a coping sled, but hope to start using my Millbury tenoner as soon as the new bearings arrive.

Peter Quinn
12-23-2011, 6:56 AM
I have a green one from Woodcraft, cost around $50 on sale. It works reasonably well. I've seen others, they all look pretty similar to me. Similar enough that I suspect they may all be made in the same factory now.

I use one of those cherished old delta's at work......to say I'm under impressed would be an under statement. It is a handsome looking unit, and it is heavy, which comes in handy for really tall or large work, like the bottom rail on a 5' carriage house door. But the miter bar has no slop adjustment, the left to right adjustment is coarse bordering on crude. IME its a big cranky dinosaur that works better on a shelf than on a saw. I actually prefer my $50 woodcraft jig and find it to be more accurate, adjustable and repeatable than the old delta I've used.