PDA

View Full Version : Owwm

John Powers
12-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Anyone know how to wire the on /off switch on a mid 80's delta bandsaw? Thanks

Kevin Presutti
12-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Get the S/N off the bandsaw, go to OWWM, go to the manual page, look up Delta Bandsaw, and see if you can find the manual for your style BS, I have a Delta DP I was looking for a manual there for it and found it, it was made in '47 or '48 but no schematic. If you find an owners manual for your BS and it has a schematic, good for you, if not go to ereplacmentparts.com look up a switch for it they usually have schematics and or diagrams. Good luck!

Bob Wingard
12-22-2011, 12:14 AM
If it's 120, normally you just break the hot. If it's a double pole switch (meant to break two hots), you can break both the hot and the neutral, but it's not required.

John Powers
12-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Old motor had 7 black wires, new has 7 yellow wires. I nutted the black and white from the power cord into the appropriate yellow bundles, grounded green plugged in and the motor worked fine. The switch cord has black, white, red and orange. I nutted it's black and white and red and orange where I thought they belonged. Either tripped breaker or no response from switch. I do see a short piece of wire that may have been a jumper from one nut to another. Wearing myself out climbing the stairs to reset. I know next to nothing about electricity. It's my final frontier. Thanks

Brian Myers
12-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Are you running this on 220v or 110v ?

John Powers
12-22-2011, 9:20 AM
It's wired 110

Don Jarvie
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Push button isn't it. Check one of the Grizzly manual that has a similar looking saw.

What you can do is swap out the switch to a wall type switch double pole (2 screws on each side) rated for 20 amps. Get some SWOO cord, 14g for under 15amps or 12g for under 20 amps and a plug. Black and white on 1 side, black and white out the other and ground tied off on the base.

It will work fine. I swaped out the switch for my Relient BS since I added a 1.5 hp motor and just used a light switch.

John Powers
12-22-2011, 1:54 PM
So, I have no switch wired into the motor? I have just the power cord that runs into and out of the wall switch box that would mount where the present switch is?

Myk Rian
12-22-2011, 2:38 PM
Well of course you will be switching a motor lead or 2.
Got a neighbor that knows something about electricity? Ask him/her over.
Better than burning something up.

John Powers
12-22-2011, 2:45 PM
Myk, that's no help at all. One neighbor asks me to plunge his toilet and the other can't start a lawnmower. Contribute or stand back.

Myk Rian
12-22-2011, 2:50 PM
If you can't wire something as simple as a switch, it's time to stand back.
Just trying to protect you, and your house.

John Powers
12-22-2011, 3:49 PM
Myk, the wall switch is a no brainer. The oem switch is more complicated. No one here and 64 viewers on woodnet and no one you included knows how to do it. Now. 7 yellow wires. Power cord has black, white and green. Switch cord has black, white, red and orange. Black and white from one side of switch, red and orange from the other. Contribute.

John Powers
12-22-2011, 4:07 PM
Myk, the wall switch is a no brainer. If you know how to wire the oem switch let's have it. 7 yellow from motor. Power is b,w and green. Switch cord is b,w,red and orange. B and w on one side, red and orange on the other. Simple, have at it. I'll worry about my house burning down. I'm 64' third house none burned down. O...got to run and change the spot in the high hat I installed attached to the dimmer I installed, right over the water heater I installed inside the house I painted. If I don't have to drive up to Brooklyn for the birth of another grand child. If I sound annoyed I am. I'm tired of asking technical advice and getting life advice. So, neighbor, help me wire that switch.

Myk Rian
12-23-2011, 9:33 AM
I suppose that if you provided more info on WHAT motor it is, you may get the help you need.
Got a model/frame number? Horsepower? Pictures?
Are the wires numbered?
We need more to go on.

I do see a short piece of wire that may have been a jumper from one nut to another.
Maybe this is a clue.

Don Jarvie
12-23-2011, 3:43 PM
I'm assuming the switch cord has black and white on 1 end and red and orange on the other end. This is a theory not seeing the saw, etc is that the orange and red where to go to specific leads from the motor. Example, tie 1,3,5 and connect to the red lead. Tie 2,4,6 to the orange and cap 7. Since its on 110 where the red and orange go is more important than if you wired this for 220 which doesn't matter which lead goes where since both legs are hot.

Look at the switch and see if there are any mark to indicate black white etc. Some of these switchs need the B&W from the cord to connect to the top screws and the connections out the botton . So the 2 black leads are on 1 side and the 2 white are on the other.

As I stated above, if it was me I would replace the switch to a double pole 20 amp light switch and replace the switch cord out.

Hopefully this may help. If not you need to post a few pictures. Try to google Delta (insert model #) owners manual and try to find it. It should have info on how to wire it up.

Good luck

Jim Matthews
12-23-2011, 8:12 PM
There's a diagram of basic wiring (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Delta-Parts/Saw-Parts/Model-BS100/1667/0744100/P0308179/00001) for a single-phase 220V motor running a Delta 9" bandsaw from the Sears page.
The differences would be the plug type and starter capacitor value (if you have a cap on your motor).
As you can see if you expand the diagram, the hot line (typically black in color) is broken by the switch.

The neutral line (typically white) is not switched. If you're also replacing the the power plug, "White goes to bright".

It is likely that your motor will have windings to allow either 110v or 220v operation - there should be a cover screwed onto the motor that will have a wiring diagram.
It tells you which wires to twist together to energize the motor by either voltage.

So with the new power cord, Black goes to "Hot" and should be switched.
White goes to Neutral. It should not be switched.
Either of the remaining colors should go to your ground pin on the plug.

If you want further assistance here, you'll need to take some photos.

One last word, the tripping breaker is an indication that what you are doing is dangerous.
Those of us expressing concern have been shocked enough to know.

Worst case, what's your local electrician's minimum charge?