PDA

View Full Version : New Table Saw Gloat and Question

John Grabowski
12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I just bought a new cabinet saw for my shop….whoopie!! It wouldnt be a gloat without a few photos. Taken with cell phone camera.

The problem is, the saw is 2 1/8 inch lower than my old saw. The out feed table and workbench is now 2 1/8 inches higher than the table of the saw. What to do?
Cut the outfeed table down? Major Hassle!! Or do I build a riser for the saw? This would be easy. I am just wondering if it is going to be steady enough. It is the Sawstop 3 hp PCS.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/sawstop1.jpg

I know that the riser is going to be the easiest solution but I don’t know if it is going to jeopardize the safety and performance of the machine. Also, I am 6’4” and the lower saw is bothersome.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/Sawstop3.jpg

I need your advice. I am getting ready to run electric and I don't want to place the box twice if necessary.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/sawstop4.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Grub

Ray Newman
12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
"' Or do I build a riser for the saw? This would be easy. I am just wondering if it is going to be steady enough."
--John Grabowski

Build a riser. As you said far easier. Mill the stock to the required thickness and assemble via half laps or butt joints. Bolt it to the floor if you don't plan on moving the saw. Fabricate the base a bit wider than the base of the saw, then add a lip to all four sides to hold the saw in place. Or, are the holes in the cabinet to bolt the saw to the floor? If so, use them to bolt the saw to the riser.

I think it would be stable and the wood would absorb some of the virbation. If the floor is prone to excessive dampness, fabricate the base from pressure treated wood.

mreza Salav
12-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Congratulations on the new saw!
I have mine (a ICS version) on a shop-fox mobile base, although I almost never move it. It has never caused any problem and
I cannot think of why putting yours on such a base could cause any problem (safety or not).

Todd Burch
12-22-2011, 2:14 AM
Riser. Any old scrap will do.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-22-2011, 6:41 AM
Congrats on the saw! I have that same one. You should be pleased.

I'm 6' and the table is about right......so yeah, if you're 6'4 then I say don't cut down anything and go for the riser. Ray's tips on that are all good.

Peter Quinn
12-22-2011, 6:54 AM
Congrats on the saw, and build a riser. We have 10,000 pound machines at work on dunnage blocks to rise them up. Not a problem. Build it solid, maybe little PL to the floor if you are really concerned? Work safe. I'm 5'7", I would have to wok n high heels in your shop!

John Grabowski
12-22-2011, 9:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies...I bet you guess that I was leaning towards the riser from my post...it really is to low. I have all my tools and benches high to be at my working level so it would only make sense to raise this one up also.

I don't plan on moving the saw in the future so putting it on a platform is going to work out just fine.

I will post some more photos once I achieve the optimum height.

glenn bradley
12-22-2011, 9:50 AM
Interesting, I never noticed that the SawStop is shorter than any other saw I have ever had(?). Not a bad thing, just different. At your height I would definitely build a platform. Stability should be no problem, just build it like a small section of floor.

Neil Brooks
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Congrats on the new saw !

Whichever way you go -- shrinking or growing part of your world -- please DO post pics, and a review, once you get 'er up and running !

Troy Turner
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Let's get this out of the way...YOU SUCK!!!

Definatley sounds like you need/want the riser vs. other options. Good news is, looks like you have the scrap to build it in the form of the pallet if came in on :)

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Interesting, I never noticed that the SawStop is shorter than any other saw I have ever had(?).

SS table is 34". A quick check, and the PM2000 is at 34 1/2", the new Uni is 35".

John G - what was your previous saw?

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Think I'd build a mobile base (maybe one that can lower to make full contact) and design the base so it was the right height when at rest (maybe with some way to dial in the exact height). I'm about the same height and I enjoy using my saw much more since I jacked it up to be taller.

John Grabowski
12-22-2011, 4:17 PM
My previous saw was a ridged contractors saw...not a bad saw just underpowered and no brake...worried about my boy using it in the future.

Yeah, this thing comes with a very robust pallet that I may use to build the riser...we shall see. A mobile base is not important as I don't plan on moving it ever. It is in a 30x40 ft shop. The only way I will move it is if I hit the lottery and can add bigger and better toys.

The hard part is going to be raising it up now that it's assembled...looks like I am going to have a sore back :)

I will post a review when I get to test it out.

Thanks again,

JG

Van Huskey
12-22-2011, 4:39 PM
The hard part is going to be raising it up now that it's assembled...looks like I am going to have a sore back :)

JG

Nothing like a cheap floor jack when dealing with machines.

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 5:19 PM
Look for a good HF coupon and/or catch a good sale on their folding shop crane. Handiest thing in my shop when I need to lift stationary tools!

John Grabowski
12-22-2011, 5:54 PM
Nothing like a cheap floor jack when dealing with machines.

That's what I am going to do...it will be fine...I was just being a drama queen about the process...poor me right?

I would love to buy one of the hf engine lifts but that would cut into my tool budget and I would actually have to get a gym membership If I wasn't constantly lifting 500 lb tools. : )

Thanks again,

JG

Terry Beadle
12-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I would incorporate lockable wheels in the riser. You will never know what the future holds and sheet stock or other big material situations always require some table saw movement you don't expect. Just my opinion, freely given...and probably worth it...hoot!

David Hostetler
12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
build the riser. I have seen those saws at I think it was Woodcraft... Nice machine, but too short for me. Even if it weren't for the outfeed table, I would still find a way to pick that saw up to a more comfortable working height...

FWIW, I am 6' 0". One of my favorite things about my Ryobi BT3100 is the 38" working height...

John Grabowski
12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions...I ended up using jacks to lift it off the ground and then shoved the new riser in there.

Here are a few pics of the progress...I used my domino to make a very tight fitting riser. Also made solid with red oak.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/BASE1.jpg

Left it recessed a bit to create a lip.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/Base2.jpg

Sprayed it black so it wouldnt stand out.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/Base3.jpg

Tada!! ALL DONE!! This thing is roaring like a tiger now. Its about 1/8 higher than the outfeed table.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x389/Grub32/SAW.jpg

Old friends that need new home: 1 Ridgid Contractors saw and 1 Porter Cable Biscuit Joiner. Domino and sawstop said move over old, time for the new.

Off to Craigslist they go.

Thanks for all the help,

John G