PDA

View Full Version : Right/Left Tilt Tenoning Jig Head Scratcher

Matt Kestenbaum
12-21-2011, 9:28 PM
So, after I spent the morning de-cosmolining a new tenoning jig I sat down with the owner's manual to see what it had to say about dialing it in and setting up to the saw. All the adjustments to make it square, true and snug to the miter slot made reasoning sense. But, then I noticed that the box had listed its range of motion and specifically that it was shipped set up for a right tilt saw-- additional assembly required for left tilt saws. Since my saw is left tilt I went back to the manual and could find little to no language about this additional assembly. Only that on some saw models it may necessary to mount the miter bar on closer (more inward) set of tapped holes in the jet base. I suppose I was expecting the entire jig to ride in the right miter slot...so that the blade or jig's side plate would be capable of beveling parallel to the blade.

Maybe weak thinking on my part???

Next I called the support number of the manufacturer...the rep was (at first) confused about the slot it was designed to ride in. Then, when that was cleared up he went looking through the manual himself only to find the same note that I already had found that the miter bar can be mounted closer or farther from the blade. When I pointed out that the ability to safely use the jig for a beveled cut seemed questionable with the blade or jig tilted in this way.

Then the rep said well we sell a lot of them and I am not sure I see you question? I pointed out that as advertised the jig was compatible with right or left tilt saws and it seems to have limited capability for the latter configuration. He said he still didn't understand. So I asked if he had ever used a tenoning jig. "NO, I AM NOT A WOODWORKER." Great the tech support guy has no experience with this jig nor table saws?? He said he'd have somebody else give me a call.

Am I missing something??? Does it make any difference as long as the blade and the jig clear each other?? I don't know why but I am thinking that cutting of chair rail/aprons might be a use for angled tenons?

Help?!

glenn bradley
12-21-2011, 9:58 PM
My "Rockler" jig came with Jet/Powermatic instructions and they too were lacking on info for left tilt saws. The miter bar moves to the other slot. The other shortcoming was the set screw used as a stop to prevent the face from moving far enough to get hit by the blade, was too short. A trip to the BORG took care of that and all has been well for years.

Chris Rosenberger
12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I have one setup for a left tilt saw & another setup for a right tilt saw. The only difference in there setup is the location of the miter bar. The jigs are designed to be used in the left miter slot. The distance between the blade & the left miter slot is larger on a left tilt saw. So the miter bar is mounted farther away from the wood clamping surface. The use of the jig is the same on a left or right tilt saw.

Mike Cutler
12-22-2011, 9:23 AM
Matt

I don't know which tenon jig you have, but they are all pretty much based on the Delta 180 series tenoning jigs.
I have an "older" Delta jig, maybe 15 years old, and the instructions for mine were pretty clear for swapping the miter bar. I also have both a right tilt, Jet, tablesaw, and a left tilt, General table saw,and my tenon jig works in both saws. It's currently set up for the left tilt General.

If I remember correctly I installed a sacrificial 3/4" piece of MDF to the face as one of the configurations put the metal face too close to the blade for my comfort. I have done angled tenons and I think that was more the reason for the MDF face, and the clearance issue. I also think you will find that if the the jig is set up for the right miter slot, on a left tilt saw, you will lack adequate reach from the right slot.
I'll take a pic of mine tonite if you'd like and post it. I know I'm too lazy too have changed it over to the left miter slot, if I could have used it in the right slot.