PDA

View Full Version : This may be gloat worthy

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 9:10 PM
Saw this on Craigslist

Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press - $450 (Fultondale)

Dated 12/7/2011. Figured that a) it was too good to be true and b) I saw it much too late. But I sent an email not expecting a reply. Got one saying to call. To make a long story short, not only is this thing brand new, it was unopened! Turns out the guy works for a "how-to" magazine based in the area and he wound up with two of these drill presses. He threw in a delta drum sander kit and a free issue of their magazine. Since no pics = didn't happen, here you go. I ran out of steam after fighting traffic to get north of Birmingham to pick this beasty up, fight traffic again to get back to Trussville, unload it into the shop and open the box far enough to get the manual. I'm on vacation until after New Years, so I should have time to get it unpacked and assembled. I'll post more pics then! I'm excited. I've had my eye on this since I started seeing reviews in the magazines and seeing you guys post about them. Getting $900 together to order one new was taking some effort, but getting one at half price I couldn't pass up. Helps that my wife swears every time she has to use the Shopsmith to drill pen blanks. She was ready for one of these just to get the 6" of quill travel.

Bruce Page
12-21-2011, 9:28 PM
Excellent deal. Congrats!

Thomas Hotchkin
12-21-2011, 9:39 PM
Jerome
It's a GLOAT alright. Enjoy, oh and by the was you SUCK. Tom

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 10:45 PM
May be gloat worthy... humble much? YOU SUCK!

Joe Adams
12-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Congrats! You rock!

Victor Robinson
12-22-2011, 1:14 AM
I wish I sucked as much as you! Great deal!

Richard Wagner
12-22-2011, 6:36 AM
I will be anxiously waiting to hear how your wife feels about the new drill press. The Shopsmith is uniquely qualified for doing pen blanks; therefore, I doubt that the new drill press is going to improve matters for her.

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 8:16 AM
I will be anxiously waiting to hear how your wife feels about the new drill press. The Shopsmith is uniquely qualified for doing pen blanks; therefore, I doubt that the new drill press is going to improve matters for her.

Well I'm glad you didn't talk to her before she said to grab this one <g>

Actually I think her major gripe was table flex, and I think that one is on me, looks like here is a screw missing.... But, shhhhhh, don't tell

Ron Bontz
12-22-2011, 10:50 AM
And to think I paid almost $800.00 for mine. You really suck! But congrats.

Jerome Hanby
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought it might be a marginal gloat. I think the free magazine put it over the top <eg>.

May be gloat worthy... humble much? YOU SUCK!

Brent Ring
12-22-2011, 3:17 PM
Adding my obligatory YOU SUCK! I need a new drill press and thats a sweet deal

Terry Beadle
12-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Traffic fight....?.... in Trussville AL....surly you jest!

Worth all the effort though and add my 'You Suck' bird to the flock!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays !

Jerome Hanby
12-23-2011, 5:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all of you too. I just got finished assembling the Drill Press and dialling in the lasers. This thing is a beast!

Paul McGaha
12-23-2011, 5:47 PM
Congratulations Jerome.

You suck.

PHM

gary Zimmel
12-23-2011, 6:37 PM
Sweet deal.... and oh ya, you suck......

Mark Smith, too
12-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Great price.

Before you set it up do as the book says and cut a plywood base to attach it to (unless you plan to bolt it to the floor). It is Top Heavy! Great drill press.

Jerome Hanby
12-24-2011, 11:08 AM
After hauling this thing out of my truck and into the shop I was too pooped to assembly it, so that left me with reading the manual. I actually followed the directions, cut, and installed the plywood base. I made it 30" square. Seems very stable. But, I think whomever wrote the manual didn't have a firm grasp on the metric system. Those 125 mm bolts specified (about 5" standard) are waaaaay too long <g>. Think I'm going to work them over with the hacksaw, having then sticking up that far make me nervous (and picking this thing up to swap out to shorter bolts seems like way too much work)..

Don Morris
12-25-2011, 6:58 AM
You read the manual? Wimp! Good eye to see the deal. And great deal too. Absolutely a GLOAT!!! Pics a must.

Mike Cruz
12-25-2011, 9:31 AM
Man, I'd have pounced on that, too! And I already have a drill press...

richard poitras
12-25-2011, 9:45 AM
I just finished setting mine up I got two days ago. It seems like a great machine. So far with what I can tell I really like it. Jerome I have one question on your quill stop with the quick release nut when you set it for the stop when coming down does it slip when it hits the stop?

Happy Holidays
Thanks Richard

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Great find! Make sure you have one or two other strong arms for mounting the motor on the pedestal. This is not a one person job, believe me. I almost dropped my motor head putting my 975 DP together. Not worth the chance, get 2 extra guys to help. Jim.