PDA

View Full Version : Oh oh update with blood

Jerry Marcantel
12-21-2011, 8:27 PM
Hi folks, I'm ok. I just have a head ache. CT scan showed nothing broken but my pride and a beautiful piece of wood. Here are some pictures.
216794It's almost 11" od and 4 1/2 " deep plus 1/2" tenon
. 216795 The inside. Notice the small rock at 6 o'clock. The piece was loaded with them. I would have to sharpen my gouge every pass. I would also stop to dig out rock with a screw driver. It's weird to see sparks coming off a piece of wood. Notice the line going up from 6 oclock, taking a right turn, then going back up toward the center, and stopping just above the center.... That's the culprit that gave way at the worst possible time... This piece of wood is the lower half of a root ball.
216796 Here are three peices that I found. I think the one on the right is the one that got me. I was only about 2" deep when it exploded. The pieces I gathered up looked like it should have held, but who knows?
216797For those who crave blood, regretably, it's not a lot. Sorry..... hehehe Probably lost about 2 tablespoons, but went to ER anyway to make sure nothing got damaged but pride....
216798 I kept 2 rulers on the headstock by a magnet, and after one piece of wood hit them, I've got bent rulers....

Ok, while I was turning this 216799, the piece on the left, I kept thinking that if someone would pay postage on a large flat rate box, I would send them the piece on the right. It's a lot cleaner than the one I was turning as it's the upper trunk part of the stump. If no one is interested, I'll attempt to turn it later on........ Thanks for your concern.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

George Morris
12-21-2011, 8:40 PM
Sorry for your accident. They are never good, Please stay safe and have a great holiday.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-21-2011, 9:11 PM
Jerry,
If they had to shave any hair, don't worry. With a healthy crop of hair like you have you coiffure will be back in no time. I'm happy the damage was not worse because it could have been. Merry Christmas. Somebody was looking out for you.
faust

Ken Hill
12-21-2011, 9:15 PM
Thats just a scratch, come on!!!:p

Seriously, hows the wood doing?:eek:

Glad you will be ok, happy to see you posting the update!

Mike Cruz
12-21-2011, 9:27 PM
Man, had a cedar blank blow apart on me, but hit me in the chest. Guess I got lucky! Glad to hear it wasn't more serious. Kudos to the photographer...captured it all... :)

Mike Cruz
12-21-2011, 9:30 PM
Sorry, wouldn't let me edit...

Looks like that was going to be a pretty bowl, too!

Steve Vaughan
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Glad you're gonna be ok!

Scott Hackler
12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Dang Jerry! Hope it heals fast. I do have to ask, do you and were you wearing a face shield?

Joe Adams
12-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Looks like he needed a hard hat.

I'm glad Jerry is okay.

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Heal well bud! +1 on Scott's query. Merry Christmas and don't knock your mellon on anything else for a while!

Alan Trout
12-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Man at least it was just your head or it could have really hurt. :) I am glad you are doing ok. Stay out the line of fire.

Alan

Baxter Smith
12-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Glad you are back to posting Jerry and glad it wasn't worse!

Kathy Marshall
12-22-2011, 1:59 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't any worse Jerry!

Rick Markham
12-22-2011, 3:34 AM
Glad your ok Jerry! I hope your noggin doesn't smart too long, and your pride heals quickly

Russell Eaton
12-22-2011, 7:02 AM
Glad to hear that you are OK. Hope the head ache goes away quick. Merry Christmas.

Jerry Marcantel
12-22-2011, 8:19 AM
Dang Jerry! Hope it heals fast. I do have to ask, do you and were you wearing a face shield?

No Scott, I was not wearing a face sheild. There really is no excuse worthwhile for not wearing it, but I'm gonna make a feeble attempt at it. I don't have a walled in shop to work in. I live in Tucson, Arizona, which has about 325+ days of sunshine. Therefore, I don't really need an enclosed shop.. The last week has been some of those 40 days of no sun, and it has been well under 50° up until about noon. My lathe is set up on the west side of my house, and is in the shade until late afternoon.
Well, it has been pretty cold in the mornings, and the face sheild fogs up pretty bad, so, NO, I will not wear it under those conditions.. `I believe it's more unsafe if you can't see through it.
Lately I've been trying to develope my own style of salt and pepper mills, and decided to do a couple green wood turnings to offset the drudgery of the mills.
I'm getting more serious about looking into the Trend airshield than before for 2 reasons. Since 1976, I've been working wood and never used a dust mask. Now my lungs are telling me that they can't take it anymore..... After yesterday's mishap, my head is telling me it can't take too much more abuse either.....
I can't believe no one wants that other piece of wood..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jack Mincey
12-22-2011, 8:33 AM
Jerry glad that every thing is going to be OK except for the bowl. There is always more wood, but we only have one head. Do you happen to know how many RPM's it was turning when it let go?
Turn Safe,
Jack

Russell Neyman
12-22-2011, 9:42 AM
I suppose a CT scan of my head would show nothing, too.

For the future, when turning these "irregulars" it isn't a bad idea to place nylon wire-tie straps around them until you can get some glue into the cracks and joints. You'll have to work around them on the outside but it allows you to get below the surface on the inside of the bowl enough so you can analyze the features for weak spots. Glad you're okay.

Dan Hintz
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
If you can afford it, I recommend the Trend Airshield. The only complaint I have is it's difficult to hear soft talkers through the soft whoosh of the fans, but it's not a problematic sound unless you're undergoing instruction while it's running. Protects not only the face, but the top of the head, as well.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Glad you are ok Jerry. You took a pretty good hit.

Lori Kleinberg
12-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Glad it wasn't more serious Jerry. Definitely look into the Trend, I use one in my shop (unheated, uncooled garage) in Tucson.

Ken Hill
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
God moves in mysterious ways.....good to see you looking into some protection!

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Wake up Jerry!! Fogging? Really? A Trend costs 1/10th of that ER visit. Someone needs to get a clue.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Jerry - I'm relieved that nothing even more serious happened! This was bad enough and in many ways, you were lucky! I hope you heal quickly and your headache goes away soon!

Roger Wilson
12-22-2011, 3:05 PM
Good job :)

I cracked my head on a jointer, doing a little bit of scalping. My GP was not impressed. He said if you don't bleed at least a cup of blood from a head wound nothing has really happened.

Needless to say if it had been your eye there would be no joking.

Merry Christmas and fast healing.

Sid Matheny
12-22-2011, 7:41 PM
You are lucky, it could have been a lot worse. The CT scan probably did you more harm than the wood.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/05/us-patients-underestimate-ct-scan-radiat-idUSTRE7044RO20110105 (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/05/us-patients-underestimate-ct-scan-radiat-idUSTRE7044RO20110105)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-12-15-radiation15_st_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-12-15-radiation15_st_N.htm)

Sid