PDA

View Full Version : Best lathe for under 4k

Bill Wyko
12-21-2011, 6:22 PM
I've got someone wanting to possibly buy my quad. I wish I could use all the proceeds to go to a new lathe but I'll have to limit myself to 4k. I'd consider a used one as well if there's something out there. I figure I'll ask the pro's (you guys) It needs to have a sliding head and have at least 22" swing. Whaddya think every one?

David E Keller
12-21-2011, 6:29 PM
Not sure about all the options, but I'd think a PM 3520 with the bed extension(to allow for turning off the end) would be around that price. Seems like the 4224 doesn't slide. The big Oneway is higher than that I think. I don't think you can get new Robust for under 4K. I don't know much about Vicmarc, but I wouldn't think you could get 22" swing for under that price if at all.

Jamie Donaldson
12-21-2011, 6:30 PM
The only lathe I would even consider under $4K would be the "Mustard Monster" Powermatic 3520. I don't own one, but have spent many hours turning and teaching on them, and they are a "lifetime" lathe for most turners. Many optional accessories will facilitate turning outboard or off the sliding headstock, and they are known to be reliable and readily available new, but I doubt you'll have much luck finding one used.

Bill Wyko
12-21-2011, 6:34 PM
The 3520 was probably first on my list but I wanted to see if there's anything I may have overlooked.

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 6:53 PM
Since a Jet vs Oneway thread showed up in the last few weeks...Oneway seems to be the only true lathe. Even if it's out of your budget, I'd think about selling one of my kids or putting a few more Humi's out there. If I get rich and famous...I'd go Oneway. On the other hand, Steve may ship his Beauty to you for a trial period?!

curtis rosche
12-21-2011, 7:06 PM
you could always have a custom one made for much less than that, then buy tools.

Bill Wyko
12-21-2011, 7:22 PM
I don't think the oneway has a sliding head stock. Anyone wanna buy a 4k humidor so I can get the American beauty?

Brian McInturff
12-21-2011, 7:26 PM
If you can up you cash to $5000 then there are a couple of used Stubby's for sale. Well worth the money.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-21-2011, 8:09 PM
Don't worry about the OneWay not having a sliding head stock. You merely add an 18" extension on the motor end of the lathe and turn inside the bowls on the outboard end with the motor running in reverse. However, you can't touch the 24" model for 4K. I'm not sure about the 16" machine. I own a PM3520 and will be the rest of my life trying to be a good enough turner to match what it is capable of. You can buy one and have some change.
Great decision to have to make. Good luck.
faust

Roy Turbett
12-21-2011, 8:20 PM
Go the Powermatic website and they have a link to an article from Fine Woodworking that comparied various lathes with the 3420B coming out on top of course. I don't think that Oneway was one of the lathes compared though.

Jamie Donaldson
12-21-2011, 8:43 PM
That Fine Woodworking comparison is a joke, because the parameters of the comparison were for lathes smaller than the Powermatic, and the selection of the Mustard Monster was a foregone conclusion to anyone familiar with "real" lathes.

allen thunem
12-21-2011, 8:45 PM
here is an option. buy the vicmarc bench mount lathe and if you know how to weld make your own stand. buy the motor and controls
someone in here did a brief tutorial on their experience with building one. if memory serves.not sure if that keeps it under the 4k you have budgeted but you will get one hellofa lathe

Mike Cruz
12-21-2011, 9:39 PM
See, now, Bill... I was going to say MY lathe... But I only gave it an 18" swing. Puts her out of the running, I suppose. Honestly, if you took a PM90 and souped 'er up, like I did, but replaced the cabinet for cast iron legs (like on a new PM), I think you'd have a hell of a lathe. But then again, you could probably find a deal on a used PM with a 24" swing for about $4K...

Scott Hackler
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill, for $4K, I would seriously be considering that Black Onyx PM 3520. If the "special" is still going on, you get a floor mat and an 18" bed extension for free. Plus is a cool black color instead of mustard! :)

Myself.. I would have to save the $4000 until I had another $3500 and get the Robust and call the race for a new lathe OVER!

Roy Turbett
12-21-2011, 10:55 PM
What, Fine Woodworking isn't Consumer's Report? You're right that comparison wasn't fair, but the article did focus on lathes under $4k and I don't how lathes comparable to the 3520B would stack up on price.

curtis rosche
12-21-2011, 11:15 PM
the larger lathe from general machinery is pretty good, i think it has either a 22 or 24 inch swing. you can use the rest of your budget to get heavy material to weigh it down some more

Reed Gray
12-22-2011, 2:10 AM
For a 22 inch throw, that rules out the PM unless you turn off the end. Any others, Oneway, Robust, Vega, Serious, VB36 are over your limit. For sliding headstocks, PM, Jet, and Robust. Nova does pivot, but I prefer the slider myself.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
12-22-2011, 3:30 AM
I went with a PM3520B and have never looked back. 38" of swing off the end of the bed ;) The only lathe that I would consider an "upgrade" is the American Beauty with SS ways, but we all have different tastes :)

joel nucifore
12-22-2011, 5:41 AM
I had a 3520 b loved it at the time. But still had dreams of MAYO white. I think on the aww site there is a oneway 3hp for sale.
Just bought a 2436 came in last week no power to it yet but sure looks pretty.

Jack Mincey
12-22-2011, 8:44 AM
I wouldn't set a limit on price. Make it hurt bad one time and get the lathe you want and there will never be any regret later thinking what if. PM 3520B's are very good lathes, but the upper end lathes like Robust, Stubby, OneWay, Vicmarc are built to a higher quality IMHO. Pick a lathe that fits you needs and is built to last a life time you won't regret it.
Jack