PDA

View Full Version : Contact cement in a spray can????

Larry Browning
12-21-2011, 6:16 PM
I was at my lumber/plywood supplier today buying a sheet of 1/2" baltic birch. They are also a counter top supply house. Anyway, I asked them about getting some contact cement for my router build. The guy suggested a spray can of contact cement for such a small job. He said that the contractors really liked it for small jobs. Has anyone here used this stuff? If so were you happy with the result? What he sold me was Wilsonart Locweld Spray Adhesive 740A. I am planning on using it unless you guys say it's not good.

Larry Edgerton
12-21-2011, 6:29 PM
Great stuff.

I have a large spray system for laminate with LP size tanks and I still keep that airosol stuff around for small jobs.

Spraying is the only way to go. I have had less problems since I went cold turkey on the roller.

Larry

johnny means
12-21-2011, 7:16 PM
I keep canned adhesive around the shop just for such occasions. Little sticky when you need it, no set up, no clean up. I really like the stuff. Of course, the downside is that cost wise, it's probably a thousand times more expensive than adhesive in a bucket. Cool for little things though.

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 7:19 PM
Perfect for your use but as others point out expensive on an ounce by ounce basis.

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2011, 8:31 PM
I use 3M Super 77 spray for cloth items to wood, but I'll only use the standard Dap Weldwood original for laminate. I'd try a scrap piece of laminate on a scrap piece of MDF and see how it holds. If not to your liking, put it up for times you need something less than permanent, and go get a quart of Weldwood Original. Jim.

Dan Hintz
12-22-2011, 6:37 AM
I used the 3M, as well, when I redid my S2000's convertible top (I added in some extra cloth/vunyl pieces to prevent the mechanism from pinching the top and cutting holes in it... again). To used a coined phrase... the stuff sticks like glue!

James Carmichael
12-22-2011, 9:01 AM
Sounds great for small jobs, instead of wasting most of a can of DAP.

How is it for VOCs? If it's like roll-on adhesives, I imagine a respirator and mega-ventilation are required.

Larry Browning
12-22-2011, 9:25 AM

How is it for VOCs? If it's like roll-on adhesives, I imagine a respirator and mega-ventilation are required.

The tech data says VOC content <55%

Is that high or low??? I don't know much about VOC.

glenn bradley
12-22-2011, 9:59 AM
I've read several good reviews from surprised old-timers on other forums. No personal experience but, next time I need it, that's what I'll use.

glenn bradley
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
The tech data says VOC content <55%

Is that high or low??? I don't know much about VOC.

Their spec sheet claims:

High-strength, high-speed multi-purpose contact adhesive in a convenient aerosol container
Bonds to laminates, papers, plastics, metals, foams and fabrics
Low VOCs
Methylene chloride free
Available size(s): 14.2 oz. Aerosol Can

Dan Hintz
12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't spray it indoors unless I wanted an immediate high, I'll put it that way...

Andrew Joiner
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Interesting stuff. The coverage is about 1/2 of roll on stuff. I keep a roller in a can of lacquer thinner ready to go, so that makes it fast and easy.

I may try it on edge strips as they're harder to roll and do bigger panels with the roller.

Larry Edgerton
12-22-2011, 7:22 PM
I'm not sure about the rattle cans, but the 20# cylinders are cheaper.

With the 20# cylinders there is almost no fumes at all, and it dries almost instantly. The adhesion is better, and more consistant. I can spray both pieces of a 2x8 panel in less than a minute so the labor saving is incredible.

I was once a skeptic of the spray glue, but after needing to speed up a big job [1174 pieces of formica!] I am a convert, and if you are doing just a few jobs a year you owe it to yourself to buy one.

Larry

David Hostetler
12-23-2011, 3:55 PM
I don't use contact cement all that often anyway, but when I do, it's 3M Super 77. I have used it since the mid 1980s when I was in high school building a Bass Box for a friend's 1984 Toyota pickup truck. It works great for upholstering wood applications...

My last use for the stuff was a washer toss game board I built for a coworkers house party about 6 months or so ago... And prior to that was like 3 years ago when I built the cat condo...

The can I am presently on is something like 8 years old or so...

David Hostetler
12-23-2011, 3:57 PM

The stuff IS nasty. Particles get everywhere. Unless you want to glue your lungs together, take the job outside, and wear a respirator. Even then I can feel the adhesive gluing down the hairs on my arms if I wear a short sleeve shirt working with the stuff. Creepy feeling. I'd imagine that whatever solvent they use to be able to vaporize that stuff has got to be bad for brain cells to boot...

Larry Browning
12-29-2011, 9:19 AM
I wanted to report back on my experience with this stuff. As you may recall I bought some spray can contact cement to use on my router table build. I used it yesterday and am happy to report that it worked great! I was worried that it would produce an airborne mist so I wore dust mask. I opened the shop to make sure there was a good airflow and at the same time I also raised the temp in the shop to about 70. When I started spraying it on I realized that the was no spray mist because the came out of the can sort of like silly string, but less stringy, which layed down on the surface evenly and there were hardly any fumes that I could smell. It dried to the touch in about a minute or two, then it worked like any other contact cement bonding. I have since machined the edges and everything is holding very well. I pretty much used the whole can on the top (26 x 36) and 3 small pieces for the fence. I don't think it would be too cost effective on anything much bigger. The one can cost me about $10. But for this job, the convenience out weighed the cost.For small jobs like this I would recommend it to anyone who asks.

Mike Cruz
12-29-2011, 1:49 PM
I've used it plenty, (spraying it indoors and out...but mostly while indoors), and it works great. I use the heavy duty 3M...