PDA

View Full Version : Griz Bandsaw tracking stuff

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 4:27 PM
I just finished installing the 6" riser on my new Griz 14" and am using the blade (I know, only until I can get a "real" blade) that came with it.
Two questions...having read through the manual, the is no clear way that I can see to get the side rollers in closer to the blade. Second...the drift/tracking sucks. 3/8" 8tpi blade and unless I feed at 1" per minute, it drifts into Neverland!
This is an upgrade from a Crapsman 12" so I know there is a lot to learn...until now, my lathe (Jet 1642 EVS) is the only "real" stationary tool I owned, so go easy. I usually saw half logs into rounds and will be re-sawing stock for various stuff...almost all turning material. Thanks for any thoughts you folks may have and Merry Christmas!

Steve Braman
12-21-2011, 5:25 PM
The bearings on the side are cammed. Turn the Allen screw in the bearing and it will move in or out.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 6:53 PM
Totally wrong blade for making a bowl blank or resawing of ant kind..................you have to get the tension correct and need a blade with 3 tpi or less for resawing or blanks from logs............a fine tooth will not clear the chips and tension that is incorrect will allow the blade to follow the grain in the wood, and drift.

Curt Harms
12-22-2011, 6:10 AM
Blade quality can have a huge impact on how much bandsaw drift you have and OEM blades are often bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't do too much adjusting until I got a quality blade suitable for the task.

Keith E Byrd
12-22-2011, 6:49 AM
JIm,
I probably have the same band saw - I ended up buying the Carter upgrade for it and it tracks great!

Prashun Patel
12-22-2011, 7:11 AM
Try a better blade that is 3tpi. 3/8 or 1/2 inch on the grid 14 inch saws should be fine for green wood. I cut a lot of that also on my g0555 with riser.

As for the bearings not getting closer to the blade, you can rotate the entire upper assembly on the guide post if one is too close and the other is too far. If you just need to fix one then you can remove the individual bearing and rotate the nut that it turns on.

Michelle Rich
12-22-2011, 7:39 AM
I have the same saw with the riser..don't worry, once you get a good blade & get the guides aligned, it cuts very well.

Jim Burr
12-22-2011, 6:21 PM
Picked up a 1/2" 3tpi Timberwolf from the saw shop today...Oh heck yeah!!! Double triple stay away from that blade, but it cuts like I'd hoped the saw would! Thanks folks!!!