PDA

View Full Version : turning HF with green wood

Martin Rock
12-21-2011, 3:42 PM
Hi All

So far my HF (vases) have been done using green wood, allowing the drying process to distort the shape.

I am thinking of first turn the HF about one inch thick , and re-turn once dry.

I know it is a common practice with bowls but I am curious if it is a common practice with HF

thanks

Martin

Baxter Smith
12-21-2011, 4:07 PM
Turning to 10% of the diameter is pretty much of a necessity if you are going to try and fit other pieces of wood to your HF or you want to end up with something perfectly round.

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 4:35 PM
Dunno...can't see it!

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2011, 4:38 PM
Martin - I turn all my hollow forms to 10%, let dry and then return. Baxter is right... if you plan on fitting other pieces of wood to it; pedestal, collar, lid, finial, etc... then the wood has to be dry first to insure everything will fit. If you are turning a HF and do not plan on adding anything to it... you can turn to an even thickness and let it warp while drying. Lots of options.

robert baccus
12-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Roger that steve. a dry vase is almost necessary if you are planning on sanding and finishing to a gloss film finish. almost as fast is to endseal the outside and leave the inside to dry the piece. i swear the wood pulls together rather than apart if the outside is bare. i do double wax the lip and bottom. just chicken.----------old forester

robert baccus
12-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Roger that Steve. also it is almost necessary to have dry wood if sanding and film finish are desired. i also endseal the outside of vases and double wax the bottom and lip. it dries almost as fast and i swear the wood pulls together rather than apart as is the case when drying from the outside.--------------old forester