PDA

View Full Version : Acacia HF Vase

Scott Hackler
12-21-2011, 3:38 PM
Here is the last of my surprise package from Kathy Marshall. I was able to finish this one before my carpal tunnel surgery and it is a Christmas gift for a neighbor. I was fortunate that this HF was large enough to use my Carter Hollow Roller. Yeah for a laser! Thinned to 1/8" walls with about 3/4" on the bottom for ballast, this one is about 7" tall and 3 3/4" wide. Turned green to final thickness and finished with a heavy soak in BLO, 5 coats of WOP, Beal buffed and Ren wax.

I can't wait to get healed up and back on the lathe! Thanks for looking.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 3:59 PM
Great form Scott...like those tall ones! I see you did this before surgery...good man! Finish looks just right too!

Nate Davey
12-21-2011, 4:00 PM
Spectacular wood and a flawless finish, Scott. Very nicely done. Looks like you've sorted out the WOP finishing

Steve Vaughan
12-21-2011, 4:06 PM
That's a fantastic piece right there. The finish just sets that thing off! They're sure gonna enjoy it.

Donny Lawson
12-21-2011, 4:13 PM
Scott, that is a beautiful piece. I too have a piece of that from Kathy. It is waiting its turn on the lathe.

Baxter Smith
12-21-2011, 4:16 PM
Beautiful wood and finish Scott! The curve looks really good. It seems a little tall relative to the width but I'm sure thats just because of the shapes I have done lately. I can see why you would want to preserve every inch of that wood!

Tim Rinehart
12-21-2011, 5:25 PM
Scott, Its a wonderful piece, I like it and the finish is spectacular. Hope you heal quick!

Ken Hill
12-21-2011, 5:30 PM
That sure is purty! For some reason I cant open the image larger

David E Keller
12-21-2011, 6:25 PM
That's sweet! Nice of you to turn a few things before surgery to tide us over until you're back up and running again!

Bill Hensley
12-21-2011, 6:41 PM
Your finish is excellent, form and wood not too shabby either.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 6:48 PM
That one is a beauty Scott.........love the figure in the Acacia wood.............[I need to find some of that!???] Great form you put on it and a luster-y finish! I'm liking it!

Roland Martin
12-21-2011, 7:10 PM
That is sweeeeeet, gorgeous wood, form and finish. Wish you the best on your recovery.

Russell Eaton
12-21-2011, 7:33 PM
That is a smokin' piece of wood that you did justice to. Hope your recovery goes well and you get back to the lathe soon. How are you liking the Carter hollowing tool?

Scott Hackler
12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I just gave it to the neighbors and they loved it. The hand is healing nicely but a little sore, tender and stiff around the incision area. I am not taking pain pills anymore though. (although I don't like taking them anyway so I wasn't likely to take them for very long anyway). Can't wait to get back on the lathe, but I am not going to "push it" either. Just a little turning vacation... or it that a vacation from turning??

Thomas Heck
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
That is a nice one. We pray that you have a quick recovery.

Alan Trout
12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Scott,

I really like the form. I would have liked to see the opening a little more pronounced but that is just nit picking a little.

Alan

Hayes Rutherford
12-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Nice form and you really brought out the figure in that wood. I bet that Carter tool is fun to use.

robert baccus
12-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Really nice form and wood. when you say acasia i assume this is mimosa?-----------old forester

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Scott that is a really nice HF. I do like the form and the wood looks great.

Kathy Marshall
12-22-2011, 1:45 AM
Wow Scott! That piece turned out Great! The finish is excellent and I like the form as it is, turned out to be a nice chunk of wood!

Really nice form and wood. when you say acasia i assume this is mimosa?-----------old forester
Robert, if I remember correctly, it was Acacia salicena or Willow Acacia, not related to mimosa. It's planted pretty widely in the Phoenix area as a landscape tree.

John Keeton
12-22-2011, 5:09 AM
Scott, well done! I love the wood, and while the form is a bit tall for my tastes, you obviously did an excellent job on it. I hope you end up with a successful result from the surgery and get good relief. Truth be known, many of us have symptoms of carpal tunnel, but seems likes yours really manifested at an early age. Mine flare up every now and then, but they don't seem to worsen.

Michelle Rich
12-22-2011, 7:48 AM
pretty, pretty