PDA

View Full Version : Profanity Reminder

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2005, 8:30 AM
The Terms of Service prohibits the use of profanity in posts:

3. Profanity
Messages that contain explicit, vulgar, or obscene language will be removed or edited at the discretion of the Forum Moderators.

Lately I have had to edit a considerable number of posts containing profanity acronyms. I consider them the same as the profane terms themselves. Please refrain from this practice which will make this high paying job :) a lot easier.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/bullbeg.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Jim Dunn
03-10-2005, 9:07 AM
Ken, understood and acknowleged!

On an off topic question, how do you come up with all those wonderful gif's for your threads?

Jim

Andy Henriksen
03-10-2005, 9:18 AM
I'm just playing Devil's advocate a bit, but most of the acronyms listed in the "acronym thread" (below) list them with a P.G. alternative. How can you be sure that people aren't saying "BFD - Big Flipping Deal," as the acronym list would have you believe it means...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14996&highlight=acronyms

not trying to start a big heated discussion, but was just curious how to know what's acceptable, and what's not, when there could be multiple meanings for the same acronym.

Darren Ford
03-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I would think that if an acronym has multiple meanings, don't use it. Spell it out if you mean the mild version.

Frank Pellow
03-10-2005, 10:09 AM
I would think that if an acronym has multiple meanings, don't use it. Spell it out if you mean the mild version.
Darren, that's just about what I was going to say.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm just playing Devil's advocate a bit, but most of the acronyms listed in the "acronym thread" (below) list them with a P.G. alternative. How can you be sure that people aren't saying "BFD - Big Flipping Deal," as the acronym list would have you believe it means...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14996&highlight=acronyms

not trying to start a big heated discussion, but was just curious how to know what's acceptable, and what's not, when there could be multiple meanings for the same acronym.

Take that thought even further. Last time this came up we were told that we couldn't even use all those special characters on the top row of keys to simulate swear words. Whats the difference between that and "flippin"? They are both substitutions for the same vulgar word.

I don't feel the need to use swear words here, but I really don't understand the uneven application of language filtering which goes on. Of course the last ten years I've been teaching at a college, probably one of the most liberal places you can find. Some of that liberal, left wing, rable rousing rhetoric must have finally gotten to me :D

Jim Fancher
03-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm assuming you'll be outlawing the following expletives as well:

Blamed
Blasted
Blimey
Blinking
Bloody Heck
Confound it
Confounded
Crap (including Bull Crap)
Crappola
Crapsman
Crikey
Cursed
Cussed
Dammit
Dang
Dang it
Danged
Darn
Darn it
Dashed
Dern
Durn
Fishcakes
Frig
Gee
Gol-danged
Gosh
Heck
Jehosophat
Jiminy Crickets
Poop
Rats
Fiddlesticks
Bother
Shiver me timbers
Dag nabbit

Larry D. Wagner
03-10-2005, 11:20 AM
One if the reasons I like this forum is because of the profanity restrictions as opposed to several other forums. I always told my children(4 of them) that when you need to use profanity to describe your feelings it shows something about your intelligence and integrity. I am happy to report, that none of my children use profanity as a substitute for good and proper language.

Larry:) :) :)

Steve Beadle
03-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Ken, for keeping on top of this issue. I appreciate your efforts, because I don't at all appreciate either profanity itself or acronyms or other obvious substitutes for profanity.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Larry, great kids. Sounds like you are doing a good job of raising them. I get too many in my classes that have a very (and I mean very) limited vocabulary and have to resort to vulgarities to express themselves.

Steve, I agree with you 100 percent. However, you can use some substitutes, but not others. Why?

David Wilson
03-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Ken

I apreciate the job you do. As an old sailer and a frequenter of bars I have heard it all.
When I hear someone using bad language I sometimes will ask if they don't know any other descriptive adjectives. Seems like all I get back is a blank look.

Ray Bersch
03-10-2005, 11:56 AM
As a Marine, I have not only heard them all but I must admit to knowing them all and to using most of them with far too great an ease (ok, using all of them.) Having said that, I really appreciate not seeing such language in writing (my double standard) and I appreciate the attempts to keep this site clean. There are several things I like about this site; clean language, courtsey to others AND the use of real names - oh, yes, good solid info.

Now, if there are any Marines out there that disagree with the concept of my opening three words, we can duke it out in private messages - but I know that won't happen.;)

Chris Padilla
03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
This is simple, Folks. Just don't use it here. There are many ways to say things and all we are asking is that you keep it nice and clean here in this printed world of ours. :)

Greg Mann
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
While not personally offended by colorful language, I respect other members feelings. Refraining from a rather lazy way of expressing ourselves forces us to be more thoughtful and deliberate. There have been several occasions when I was tempted to use an acronym to sum up my feelings, only to resist that temptation, taking the time and effort to explain my position or opinion in a manner that was entirely different. Invariably, I have been more satisfied with the results.

While it may not offend me, whomever I may offend will be less likely to hear what I have to say as time goes by.

Greg

Silas Smith
03-10-2005, 2:00 PM
I happen to be one of those who try and refrain from using profanity in my vocabulary. Unfortunately, I was a teenager not to long ago and I was well acquainted with those words. Whenever someone does an acronym, my mind automatically says the words so that when I read LOML, I actually say in my mind, love of my life. Now that particular acronym, when I explained it to my wife, got a very positive response from her and actually got her to be more supportive of my hobby.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I really would prefer if others "freedom of expression" would also respect my "freedom to not hear it". It is all about respecting each others beliefs. That being said, I think 99% of the people in this forum are incredible role models and I appreciate all the help. Let's keep this forum the best one on the internet.

Aaron Koehl
03-10-2005, 2:07 PM
In response to the questions in this thread:

I'm sure that nobody here needs to have their hands "held" in figuring out what's appropriate and what's not. Please be decent. No semantic discussion necessary.

John Bailey
03-10-2005, 2:31 PM
I understand how difficult it is to make decisions about things like this. I will gladly live with "double standards" if it means this site will keep it's good natured comments intelligent and clean. That's one of the most attractive aspects of this site. I will gladly change any language habit I have, no matter how mundane it seems to me, if it offends anyone.

John

Bob Noles
03-10-2005, 3:53 PM
I really would prefer if others "freedom of expression" would also respect my "freedom to not hear it". It is all about respecting each others beliefs. That being said, I think 99% of the people in this forum are incredible role models and I appreciate all the help. Let's keep this forum the best one on the internet.
Silas,

I don't think it could be said any better than you have put it above. I am going to memorize the "freedom" phrase for future use if I may borrow it.

Thanks

Dan Gill
03-10-2005, 3:56 PM
Way to go, Ken!

Tom Thomas
03-10-2005, 4:18 PM
Ken,

Right on! I agree with your rules (as I did when I signed up!) and am delighted to see them enforced. Another popular woodworking forum I frequent has similar rules, but seems lax in enforcing them. I believe this difference is readily apparent when you compare the two forums. SMC is much more civilized in terms of how people treat other posters, and in their use of language. The information transfer and exchange are similar, but your forum is considerably more relaxing to read. It's my first choice when I want so spend some time surfing and learning.

Second, and perhaps, more important, this is a no-cost forum for me to peruse, so, in my opinion, you get to make and enforce whatever rules you deem appropriate. If I don't like 'em I can go elsewhere....

Thanks.

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2005, 5:47 PM
Take that thought even further. Last time this came up we were told that we couldn't even use all those special characters on the top row of keys to simulate swear words.

True - and you still can't use those "special characters" in place of profanity. I edit them out whenever they appear.

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2005, 5:52 PM

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck". I use basic common sense to decide what to edit and what not to.

Warren White
03-10-2005, 7:51 PM
Just a note to say that I totally, completely, and absolutely support the Forum's rules on profanity. The lack of profanity (or any of its disguises) leads this forum into a much kinder and gentler world. I really think people treat each other with a lot of care on this forum, and I appreciate it.

There is another forum out there that I look at, but have hesitated to post to because of the degree of heat I have seen exhibited there. It just isn't the friendly place this is.

Well Done...to all moderators and the the forum itself for the kind of place this is.

Warren

David Tucker
03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Although I have visited this site frequently over the past few months, I've finally decided to get involved in the discussions. One thing I really like about here is the friendly discussions, written by people with an intelligence that gets the point across without needing to use profanity. I have been known to use a word or two verbally, but when in the written form, it just doesn't come out in a way to make it worthwhile. While a certain adjective might emphasize a point verbally, when written, I find it unnecessary. There are far better ways to carry the message. Keep up the great discussions, and I hope to jump in occaisionally with a view, tip, insight or question.

Keith Outten
03-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Welcome David,

Rustic language is in fact counterproductive and tends to alienate people and our goal is to bring together woodworkers and to share our experience. We tend to believe that good citizens will attract good citizens and it's working :)

Thanks for joining us here at the Creek.

Bill Arnold
03-11-2005, 12:26 AM
I've been debating with myself whether to respond to this post or not based on an experience I had many years ago. I do not use vulgar language, although as a young person I did so as many did to impress my peers.

During my career as an Enginering Manager, I had the dubious privilege to work under a VP who literally could not complete a sentence without some form of the infamous 'f' word. He was an EE from West Point and served his required four years in the Army. No doubt, his 'military' career 'required' him to speak in 'colorful' language. Because of his extremely poor management capabilities, he ultimately came under fire from his boss, the Division President. At the end of a staff meeting one day (meetings which were always a total waste of time because of the way he mismanaged them), he made a point of asking everyone if they noticed a change. Nobody answered him. He then made a point of explaining the reason for his question was that he went through the entire meeting without ever uttering the 'f' word. Everyone just kinda shrugged and kept quiet.

The point is: so many people justify their use of profanity in one way or another -- usually boiling down to "that's just the way I am". And, yet, when called on the carpet, they can turn it on and off like a faucet. Those who think it's 'cute' or 'normal' or 'acceptable' to use profanity should consider not so much their 'freedom of speech' as how stupid they sound when they can find no other way to express themselves.

Best Regards,

Ken Salisbury
03-11-2005, 5:24 AM
On an off topic question, how do you come up with all those wonderful gif's for your threads?
Jim

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/goofybeatsme.gif