PDA

View Full Version : A Kreg Jig question

dennis thompson
12-21-2011, 1:17 PM
I use my Kreg pocket hole jig for some joints. I am never quite sure what size screw to use. The Kreg guide recommends a certain size screw based on the thickness of the wood you are joining. My problem arises when , say I'm joining a 1" thick piece of wood into a 3/4" piece of wood. Do I use the guide for 1" thick or 3/4" thick wood?
Thanks
Dennis

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 1:21 PM
I always go for the shorter of the two, drill one pocket hole, then put in the screw and see how it looks. If there was room for the longer screw, I change the setup for the rest of the holes. Just remember to reset all the settings. I burned myself on a shop cabinet like that a few weeks ago. Ended up having to grind off the screw points that poked through!

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2011, 1:26 PM
My understanding is that you are always supposed to use the set-up and screw size for the smaller of the two sizes.

Matthew N. Masail
12-21-2011, 1:43 PM
I think if you use glue as well, the shorter will no doubt be enough.

michael veach
12-25-2011, 11:09 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/kkaG0viVHkNd-SfGSpTRmBlgsvBZqmEnccRShdqRBBSBc7CLSC7tlARJkc*jg*5 YtR5bjw1U4mJZ6N5bMGBfmudw0kAcTqSr/ScrewSettings.pdf

This is a chart from the Kreg users sight.

Peter J Lee
12-25-2011, 11:56 PM
If you poke around on Youtube or the Kreg site, there is a video about screw selection and it talks about the question you ask.

Besides width, the other dimensions of the pieces you are joining as well as consideration of where you want the holes have to be taken into account.