PDA

View Full Version : Applewood Silverware Caddy

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2011, 1:10 PM
I just finished this silverware caddy using some Apple I picked up at my local WW store. This was my first experience with apple and I found it very interesting to work with very beautiful. Planing was problematic as it pitted very easily; in fact I left a few for "character". It was prone to cracking and chipping when cutting. And it wanted to burn easily when routing. However, it easily sanded as smooth as glass. I had planned on topcoating it with amber shellac after applying a coat of BLO, but after seeing the transformation the oil produced, I can't bring myself to do anything but leave it as it is. The finger joints are on a compound angle.

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2011, 1:17 PM
I forgot to load the picture of the bottom:

Todd Burch
12-21-2011, 2:10 PM
Looks good! I like the color.

Did you consider using thinner stock? How did you address the short grain situation where the partition meets the top handle?

Did you use a job for the compound box joints? Router? Tablesaw? What does it looks like?

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2011, 2:57 PM
Looks good! I like the color.

Did you consider using thinner stock? How did you address the short grain situation where the partition meets the top handle?

Did you use a job for the compound box joints? Router? Tablesaw? What does it looks like?

Thanks. I didn't use any coloring at all, just the BLO. I was very suprised at how the color and grain jumped right out at me.

For the handle, I used glue and a pin from each side on each end.

I made a jig for the box joints to use on the table saw. It's just likle a regular box joint jig except that it is angled top to bottom by 7 degrees. I based it on the plans in Woodsmith Issue #182 page 16.