PDA

View Full Version : Oh, oh

Jerry Marcantel
12-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I was turning a piece of that Palo Verde stump I posted under "Wet Turning" several days back this morning, and it was gorgeous. It was rounded to about 11" od, and had about 1/2 of the inside turned when it exploded into 3 pieces. I only found 2 so far, but one hit me pretty hard in the head. I felt the same type of shock that I felt when I broke my neck last year..... Now, my nose is draining a yellow liquid, and I'm headed for the houspital after I post this. Fortunately, I was not in the direct line of fire when this thing exploded. What got me was a ricochet.... The piece bounced of the wall, aimed directly at my head, and I saw stars........ When I get back, I'll post pictures. The worst part is, they, the docs and nurses, are going to cut my hair to get to the gash to stitch it. ... ....... Turn safely...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Alan Zenreich
12-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad that you managed to avoid heavier damage.

It also just underscores how it's difficult or impossible to predict where 'out of the line of fire' will be.

So, this is yet another datapoint that confirms the practice around our home shop: my wife and I wear full helmet forced air respirators/ faceshields whenever a lathe is turned on.

If you're spinning chunks of wood at hundreds or thousands of revolutions per minute, it's not a surprise that pieces get launched from time to time.

Although personal protective equipment won't stop all injuries, they very often turn a surprise occurrance into an non-event... instead of a trip to the hospital.

Thanks for your post, and I hope you heal quickly and fully.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear about this event, Jerry...........heartfelt concern sent your way, and a prayer sent to God on your behalf! Thanks for posting this.............although waiting till after the trip to the emergency room would have been fine!

Roland Martin
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
There just really any absolute way to be totally protected, as much as we try. I hope and pray everything turns out well for you.

Rob Cunningham
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Hopefully it's just a few stitches or staples. I agree with Roger, you could have waited till you got home from the ER to post.

John Beaver
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Interesting that someone would stop to post here before going to the hospital. Tells you something about this group doesn't it?

Jerry I hope you are o:k.

Everyone else: Please wear head protection when turning.

Dan Forman
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Jerry, sorry about your mishap, hope it's nothing serious and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dan

Russell Neyman
12-21-2011, 1:54 PM
I've actually had a "missile bowl" shatter and stick into the roof of my shop. I left it there to remind me of the potential for accidents. Hope you mend well. And send us photos of your new hairdoo.

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2011, 2:25 PM
Jerry... you have our attention! I do hope all is well. Anxiously awaiting news from you after your ER visit!

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 2:31 PM
50/50 you didn't have you're face covered! Hope you are ok and you did cover up. I have no problem driving to Tucson for a safety chat...but I do have a skin stapler in my first-aid kit!!

Steve Vaughan
12-21-2011, 3:46 PM
WOW! So sorry to hear that. Hope nothing serious is going on with you.

Donny Lawson
12-21-2011, 3:54 PM
I know turning on a lathe can be alot of fun but on the other hand it can be deadly also. I hope its not too bad and hope for a quick recovery. Let us know how how you are doing. God speed.

Baxter Smith
12-21-2011, 4:04 PM
Hope you are doing well Jerry! I will save the other comments until you post again.:)

Dick Wilson
12-21-2011, 4:38 PM
Jerry, I truely hope that you will be OK. Having had two face shields crack upon impact I sit here with a sick feeling in my stomach. You didn't mention wearing a face shield at the time so................ I have read any number of comments on various forums like "I have never worn a face shield because they mess up my vision" or "Nothing has ever happened". Time for a gut check guys. Like Russell said missiles stick into what ever they hit. A shield can be replaced.

curtis rosche
12-21-2011, 4:46 PM
takes a true creeker to postpone medical attention just to post about his injurys :p hope all goes well.

Allan Ferguson
12-21-2011, 4:58 PM
Get repaired. Hope that all ends well.

David E Keller
12-21-2011, 5:38 PM
I hope it's nothing serious! Turn safely, or at some point, you may not be able to turn! Get well soon!

Ed Morgano
12-21-2011, 6:26 PM
Hope it's not too serious but serious enough that you never turn again without your face shield on.

ray hampton
12-21-2011, 7:11 PM
the knights of the roundtable wore suits of mail for protected in the battle, it may not be any reason to go that far but as least buy the biker leather coat and helmet, GET BETTER SOON

Alan Trout
12-21-2011, 7:16 PM
Jerry,

Keep us up to date. I hope you are doing well.

Alan

Bill Wyko
12-21-2011, 7:20 PM
Jerry, I'm in Tucson too. Give me a call at 624-2000 when you get home. Hope you're going to be alright. Take care of yourself.

Russell Eaton
12-21-2011, 7:24 PM
I had a face shield break while it was stored. I bought a new one ASAP. Please be careful, and have a Merry Christmas.

Harry Robinette
12-21-2011, 8:50 PM
Hope all comes out OK,and PLEASE get a GOOD face shield. We all have pieces fly off the lathe a face shield is a cheap life saver.
My prayers are with you.