PDA

View Full Version : Stool for my daughter

Richard Allen
12-21-2011, 9:04 AM
Nearly done with the stool for my daughter. Needs glue and finish in places you can't see.

The stool is 19 1/4" high which is the measured height of the adjustable chair she is currently using. The seat is 13 3/4" across which is ever so slightly smaller than her current chair. The seat is on a lazy susan bearing so she can spin if she likes. I had made a spinning stool for her best friend several years ago and her friend started using that stool this year. One of the features her friend likes best is the spin. While the legs look straight that are actually splayed out 4 1/2 degrees. The wood is maple with the accent strips being purpleheart. The seat depicts three girls holding an enchanter frog in the Anime style as my daughter is fond of Miyazaki's films. The coloring is done by burning outlines and coloring inside the lines with dye (the silver is paint). C&C welcomed

Brian Kent
12-21-2011, 9:13 AM
I really like this. The painting is especially intriguing. It preserves the beauty of the maple and the anime. Well done.

Greg Just
12-21-2011, 9:18 AM
Beautiful job Richard. You put a lot of work into this one and I'm sure your daughter will love it.

Baxter Smith
12-21-2011, 9:25 AM
Nice work on the turning and all the burning and coloring that went with it. She will love having a one of a kind piece!

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
That's impressive work! Great job on the anime! Your daughter is going to love this!

John Keeton
12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Great work all around, but I particularly like the dye work - excellent!

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Really nice stool and turning. The dye work really sets it off. She is going to love it.

Reed Gray
12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice job. I have wanted to incorporate some of the Miazaki stuff in some of my work for my daughter. Those films are a must for all young girls and women. Is that pic from any of his movies? I don't recall it specifically.

robo hippy

Richard Allen
12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
The dye work is not from any Miyazaki film I am aware of.

I was first introduced to Miyazaki with "Howl's Moving Castle" with subtitles (came out a couple of months before Disney added English voice actors to the movie). I am not much of a fan for cartoons, and reading subtitles is like the worst way to watch a movie. I was blown away. The richness of the animation was something I had never experienced. I forgot I was watching a cartoon, instead I was watching a wonderful and magical story. The subtitles enhanced what I was watching and what I was listening to. That movie is one of the top 10 movies I have ever seen. A year latter TMC did a feature showing all of Miyazaki's films on Thursday evenings for a month. We watched those movies together and I became a convert to Miyazaki animation and story telling.

The artwork, three friends entering a magic world, the eyes, the hair, are typical of Anime.

Michelle Rich
12-21-2011, 1:00 PM
so nice to see a useful item posted. I'll bet she'll be ever so happy with it!

Ken Hill
12-21-2011, 1:13 PM
Very nicely done, love it!

Donny Lawson
12-21-2011, 5:07 PM
Alot of work was put in this piece and I think it will be well taken care of. Great work.

Richard Allen
12-21-2011, 6:34 PM
Yea, a lot of work. I have been working on it for a week and a half. It's a labor of love and I enjoyed making the stool. My daughter is usually careful about her things. If the stool comes to harm the experience I had making the stool will stay with me. The stool will find a place in my daughter's memory so that the stool will live on as long as she does.

mike ash
12-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Nice work Richard. You are displaying a bunch of talent with this stool. That's one heck of a lot of "precise" turning on the legs and foot rests, and then the painting on the seat is also great. Your daughter will love it!!!

Reed Gray
12-22-2011, 2:03 AM
Richard,
My first Miazaki film was The Princess Mononoke. I would guess that my favorite is Naussica of the Valley of the Wind. I flew a Hang Glider for about 10 years. There is a big script difference between the English voiced in movies and the sub titles. My daughter is almost 16, and still likes to pull them out from time to time. I want that Cat Bus from My Neighbor Totoro soooo bad!

robo hippy