PDA

View Full Version : Old STANLEY trammel points?

Vince Sandy
04-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Hello All,

Short-time Pond lurker and I've been lurking here since Pond closed. I very much enjoy the topics and continue to learn from your input. I hope that I can add my .02 every now and then.

I hope that someone here can determine the manufacture date and value (if any) of a pair of trammel points (I think that is what these are). I bought several tool boxes at auction and in the bottom of one of the boxes I found these.

The trammel points appear to be old and different from what I have seen on various web sites. They are open sided which allows them to be clamped to different thicknesses of wood. On the body they are marked "Stanley No 4". On the shaft above the point they are marked "Stanley" in notched rectangle with "Made in USA" under that and "No 4" under that. They are about 3 3/8" in length not including clamping screw. One is made to hold a pencil. The bodies appear to be cast iron with some jappanning remaining. The shafts and screws are steel. Other than paint loss they appear to be complete and in fine undamaged condition.

I will attempt to post an image. Thanks in advance, Vince

Vince Sandy
04-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Attempting another image.

Greg Wease
04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Vince, according to the John Walter guide to Stanley tools these could have been made anywhere between 1898 and 1949. The average price (2001 edition) is listed at $20 to $60. It is hard to tell form the photos how much of the original nickel plating is still there which would affect their value. I attended an auction in January and it seemed like prices for trammel points and plumb bobs are increasing so maybe they're worth more now.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Vince Sandy
04-25-2003, 3:14 PM
Thanks Greg. I need to get the John Walter book. You are the second person in as many days to refer to it. $25 is more than I thought they would be worth (I paid $10 for the toolbox crammed full of tools). I had taken the "keeper" tools out of the toolbox after the auction and had put the box into my wife's yardsale pile. I decided to go back through the box and found the trammel points. I'll hang on to them since I don't have any others. Besides, I really like the looks of them. Thanks again

Greg Wease
04-25-2003, 9:30 PM
I bought my Walter book on ebay for over double its original cost. It's loaded with good info. I have been told that he plans to issue an updated version some time this year. I'm on his waiting list at toolmerchant@sprynet.com. John also has a web site: www.stanleytoolcollector.com.

Greg