PDA

View Full Version : What format do you export your cdr files to????

Bruce Dorworth
12-21-2011, 12:18 AM
I know most of you have laser that use print drivers, but for the ones that don't. What file format do you export your cdr files to, when you send them to your laser? Why do you use that format?

This will help more people than just myself.

Thank you,
Bruce

Rodne Gold
12-21-2011, 1:49 AM
Adobe illustrator ver 8 is what works best with laserworks , depends on your software.

Bruce Dorworth
12-21-2011, 3:01 AM
I am using lasercut 5.3

Jiten Patel
12-21-2011, 6:47 AM
We have to export to PLT for our galvo - such a long process. We work with Illustrator - so save the .ai file to .eps, then open with Corel Draw and export as .plt! The resize in Weldmark software - wish there was an easier way!

Khalid Nazim
12-21-2011, 9:09 AM
I export to DXF from Corel Draw and then import in RDCAM/LaserWorks which is the software that Shenhuis use. Exporting to DXF just happened by accident as I started using the format right from day one that I received my laser and it has stuck on. However, one issue that happens with a DXF export is that if I have a Corel Draw file which has both vector and bitmaps, the DXF export splits them into multiple files - one file for the vectors and the one file for the bitmap. I have to then import both the files in LaserWorks and align them to ensure that they are rastering and vectoring at the right locations on my work piece.

Rodne:
If your AI v8 exported file contains both vector lines and bitmap images, do you get the complete both vector lines and bitmaps imported in LaserWorks at the same time or do you have to load the vector lines and images separately?

Regards
Khalid

Vicki Rivrud
12-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I am using lasercut 5.3
Hi Bruce,
I have been using Lasercut 5.3 for over 6 years now.

Andrew at Leetro tells me the very best file export for dxf is no higher than AutoCad 2000, the selections in Corel go higher.
Andrew also says that although Lasercut 5.3 can work with Corel X5 it performs best up to X4. He also said that
although we have the feature to export directly from Corel to Lasercut it works better if you export as a dxf and then import into Lasercut.

Which controller do you have? MPC 6515 or 6535 . . . .

Hope that helps,
Vicki

George M. Perzel
12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Khalid;
I use AI ver 8 for the vectors and save the raster info as a bitmap-import them both to Laserworks. Haven't yet found a file format for both rasters and vectors that Laserworks will support.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

matthew knott
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Jit you can export from Illustrator in DXF & DWG format, not need to import into Corel, we use Illustrator direct, one thing of note DXF (and PLT) are always made up of straight lines, so a circle is broken into lots straight lines, illustrator can export bzier curves and we get better results, the difference is slight but there, it depends what the laser does with the info, ours takes curves, some just break it up it straight lines anyway so no advantage. Also as someone has noted the smaller the curve resolution the more lines the circle is made up from, i have attached a screen dump of an imported ai and plt file the red is the ai, you can see the difference.

Jiten Patel
12-22-2011, 4:49 AM
Hi Matthew - I have tried all the formats from Illustrator, but not are as smooth as .plt for the laser. The others as you say are straight lines which for our designs just don't cut it - pun intended!!! Also .plt run quicker. There is a lag from hitting go to the laser firing. If we want to test something then we export to .wmf direct from illustrator which works, but the process time in Weldmark takes an age (15-60 seconds!). For production, the same file exported as .plt from Corel takes 5-10 seconds to process before the laser fires. Now lasering 200 invites, this saves quite a bit of time hence the long winded process for initial set up. Wish I could print direct but no such luck. Also Weldmark is pretty rubbish when it comes to options - would love an option to optimise the vector.