PDA

View Full Version : What machine would you want from Santa.

Van Huskey
12-20-2011, 9:51 PM
OK, Santa is coming with his semi dropping off machines to all the good (and maybe even a little naughty) woodworkers. He has a budget of $10,000 for each one of us, so we can go a little crazy but not stupid crazy. He is limiting us to one machine each, period. Don't complain to me! So what machine would be listed in your letter to Santa?

For me it would be a Felder AD741 Power Drive Jointer/Planer, I would have gotten seperates but Ole St Nick limited me to one crate... :D I maxed out my budget so I will have to add the Byrd head.

Matt Meiser
12-20-2011, 9:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCoOcBv01aA

I would be happy with a Sawstop PCS. Yep, starting to think I want one despite the fact I despise Gass's tactics.

ray hampton
12-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Van, you can keep my machine if santa will deliver it to your location

Jeff Duncan
12-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Hmmmm, does Santa ever deliver used goods??? I'd guess not, ruling out most of the machines I'd want:(

I think Dodds offers a Dovetail machine for under $10k....I'd probably go with that:D

JeffD

Victor Robinson
12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Definitely would be a jointer/planer combo, but I haven't done enough research to know which one. I'll just go with your choice, Van. Hopefully Santa does liftgate service.

John A langley
12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Norfab Piping for my dust collection system for a lot of reasons

Brian Kent
12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I am happy with what I have. I don't need anything.

OK, a Powermatic lathe. With all needed tools.

OK, and a floor-standing planer with a spiral head thingie.

But that's all.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
so we can go a little crazy but not stupid crazy

So what would be stupid crazy - a single $100K machine??? ;)

I don't have the room for a slider, so maybe big jointer, or a j/p combo?

mickey cassiba
12-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Big boy's lathe...I'm not picky...Santa knows what's best. He knows everything!

ed vitanovec
12-20-2011, 11:31 PM
I would consider a lazer engraver and maybe a 4 post car lift.

Todd Burch
12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
A sliding table, tilting arbor shaper with all the tooling and power feeder. Definitely a shaper.

Larry Edgerton
12-21-2011, 5:53 AM
For me it would be a Felder AD741 Power Drive Jointer/Planer, I would have gotten seperates but Ole St Nick limited me to one crate... :D I maxed out my budget so I will have to add the Byrd head.

I already have a SCM S520, so I want a used F410 Tersa head to go with it. I'd like new, but Santa has us on a budget.

Larry

Peter Quinn
12-21-2011, 6:12 AM
Big jointer planer combo, maybe 16"-20"' I'm willing to kick in with old Saint Nick to make up any cost over run his elves incur. Or if those are out a slider- shaper combo with an extra big shaper motor and power drive, not picky about the brand as long it's a Felder.

But honestly, I haven't been a very good boy this year, and the shop is cold right now, so even a big lump of coal is looking pretty attractive presently.

Dan Hintz
12-21-2011, 6:44 AM
A Robust American Beauty lathe with bed extension, outboard kit, and hydraulic tailstock. Comes in around $8k shipped, give or take, so I'd be happy to let someone else have the surplus. :)

Brian Tymchak
12-21-2011, 7:38 AM
.... 1 machine ... $10K budget .... not stupid crazy ....:eek:

... I am in the wrong league... I got to find the $3K and under forum...

Paul McGaha
12-21-2011, 8:11 AM
I dont know that Mrs. Claus would sign off on the $10K.

Next tool purchase for me will probably be a lathe. I was thinking of a JET 1642-2. And begining to think about LN planes, scrapers, chisels.

I'm pretty sure that Santa actually is actually bringing me a Biesmeyer Over Arm Blade Guard for my Unisaw.

While I'm thinking of it Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you eat, drink, be merry, watch football, get in some shop time, be safe, and have a super holiday.

PHM

Dan Bowman
12-21-2011, 8:28 AM
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. Or a multi-router.

Kevin Presutti
12-21-2011, 9:40 AM
Does a shell of a new shop qualify? I believe that is a very important aspect of wood or metal working, it's that whole ...what came first the chicken or the egg thing. Personally I would like a 40' x 60' with 14' eaves, 16' would be fine as well. If you are a good shopper you can find one for around 9 - 10K delivered, right in Santas budget. I would gladly do the rest :p

Rod Sheridan
12-21-2011, 9:57 AM
OK, Santa is coming with his semi dropping off machines to all the good (and maybe even a little naughty) woodworkers. He has a budget of $10,000 for each one of us, so we can go a little crazy but not stupid crazy. He is limiting us to one machine each, period. Don't complain to me! So what machine would be listed in your letter to Santa?

Suspiciously, Felder have it on sale for $9,995 in the USA, which means you can afford a coffee to go with it..............LOL........Merry Christmas...............Rod.

P.S. What would I want? A mortiser to stick on the side of my jointer, way less than the $10K cap.

Todd Bin
12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Santa could drop off one of his elves for a years service. The little guy could keep all my chisels and planes sharp, dust collector empty, tools maintained and waxed, shop vacuumed and cleaned up and any other of the time sucking crap work we have to do that is not directly related to making something nice.

Oh yeah, he could do all the sanding on my projects in his spare time.

~Todd

Jeff Monson
12-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Thats on the top of my list too, at $9995.00 I'd have enough left over for part of a lunch.

David Hostetler
12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
That's a tough call. I am a hobby woodworker, and am plenty happy even with my cheap equipment... So do I upgrade say for example my Ryobi BT3100 table saw to a SawStop 3HP PCS, or maybe my Central Machinery 12x36 lathe in favor of a big Mustard colored monster? OR would I be better of adding a piece of equipment I don't have one of yet, like a nice Wide drum / thickness sander?

I think for me, a good thickness sander would to the trick, maybe one of those Jet 16/32 sanders...

Kirk Poore
12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. Or a multi-router.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

I don't need any more machines. I would like his elves to put up my Oneida dust collector and run all the ductwork. Then take away the boxes.

Kirk

David Hawxhurst
12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
when i first read the title the felder KF 700 S Professional Saw/Shaper jumped to mind, then i read the limit so i guess i'll go with the hammer saw shaper.

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Old iron aircraft carrier like jointer and an old Delta Unisaw looking shaper.

Neil Brooks
12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I feel very fortunate ... and ... maybe this is the right time of year to realize that ... because I have the vast majority of the tools to match my skill level, ambitions, and the sort of work that I do.

They're largely "low-end" machines, but ... as I say ... that fits, for now.

The notable exception is the oft-mentioned (can't help it; I'm excited !) 5HP, 220V 1ph SawStop ICS that sits in the garage, crated, until we move.

So ... what would I like ? A big-boy, ducted DC system -- maybe Oneida or Clear-Vue ... but probably a beefy 5hp motor that will just suck the paint off the walls, and align the strands in the OSB beneath it ;)

Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays to all the Creekers ! May you all get what you wish for, but ... still have OTHER things TO wish for !

John M. Cioffi
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Well... $10,000? I don't want to be too greedy, so I'd ask for the new Delta Unisaw, a Powermatic 16-32 Sanding machine and a Powermatic 15" planer.
Merry Christmas to all...
PS.
That would mean I would need a bigger shop...

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I must admit as I was falling off to sleep last night I felt bad that my post may have seemed materialistic and it certainly is, but I did want to say this is just for a little fun, maybe take us back to childhood when hopefully for all of us Christmas morning was a time of pure joy, whether "our Santa" had a $10 budget or a 10,000 budget.

Matt, remember Santa's elves will build this machine and so it is the perfect time to get what you desire without worry of supporting a company that you have reservations about patronizing, plus just get the ICS if you have a little extra room!

I know the budget may seem rediculous to some and confining to others (mainly those that covet Euro machines) and the budget was totally arbitrary but a nice round number. Rod, it truely was arbitrary and after deciding on a number I just went to the Felder site to see which J/P fit my budget, if it hadn't been arbitrary the budget would be just enough to get the Digidriver version... with a Byrd head...and extension wings. :D

Have some fun with it an know if I were the real Santa after I finished with all the kids and truely needy of the world I would make all the "kids' in this threads Christmas morning wishes come true. I would likely contract out the delivery since a sleigh with a liftgate on the back just wouldn't look right, Santa has to keep the lines on his whip tight don't you know!

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I dont know that Mrs. Claus would sign off on the $10K.

No need to be concerned, Santa's budget for this comes from a up to know unknown slush fund that Mrs. Claus has no idea exists.

Matt Meiser
12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Matt, remember Santa's elves will build this machine and so it is the perfect time to get what you desire without worry of supporting a company that you have reservations about patronizing

I've heard Santa and Sawstop broke off talks on licensing the technology. Sawstop accused Santa of not caring about anything about profits (how does Santa profit?--1 word: "Volume"), Santa says Sawstop wants too much money. Sawstop is appealing to the NPCPSC (North Pole Consumer Product Safety Commission) to force Santa to comply. Sad really. :D

Ole Anderson
12-21-2011, 1:06 PM
I would be happy just to get a nice 6" jointer. Ok, a small CNC router would be nice too...and a 16" open end sander... and a small edge sander. Can't come up with just one $10K toy that I need that would fit in my shop.

Rich Engelhardt
12-21-2011, 2:06 PM
Somebody here mentioned at one time they had or wanted a shop elf that looked like Jessica Alba.

Put me down for one of those :D

Chris Tsutsui
12-21-2011, 2:24 PM
I will just ask Santa for a hand tool.

I'd like a mallet with a hickory handle and 6 ounce 24K solid gold malleable head.

David Kumm
12-21-2011, 2:45 PM

I'd like a mallet with a hickory handle and 6 ounce 24K solid gold malleable head.

Chris, I thought it would be a more quiet slider. Dave

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 2:51 PM

Creative but you may have a hard time convincin' Santa it is a machine... He is a stickler for definitions as I understand it.

Jim Rimmer
12-21-2011, 2:59 PM
.... 1 machine ... $10K budget .... not stupid crazy ....:eek:

... I am in the wrong league... I got to find the $3K and under forum...
+1 on that. I was thinking how nice a good dust collector would be, especially if the elves could hang around and rewire my garage shop. If I could have more than one machine in the $10K budget, a drum sander would be nice. Beyond those two, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. However, with $10K and no limit on the number of machines, one could outfit a really nice hobby shop with all new machines.

Merry Christmas to all.

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 3:15 PM
+1 on that. I was thinking how nice a good dust collector would be, especially if the elves could hang around and rewire my garage shop. If I could have more than one machine in the $10K budget, a drum sander would be nice. Beyond those two, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. However, with $10K and no limit on the number of machines, one could outfit a really nice hobby shop with all new machines.

Merry Christmas to all.

But Santa says 1, don't blame me, blame the fat man!

Matt Meiser
12-21-2011, 3:27 PM
You guys better be careful--he might be reading. Santa got himself an iPhone!

http://youtu.be/5qcmCUsw4EQ

Mike Wilkins
12-21-2011, 4:12 PM
Don't think $10K would be enough to get the Martin jointer/planer machine they just came out with. 20 inches of width, Martin quality. Long, wide tables. Guess I will have to settle for the Felder 16" machine.

Brian Matzke
12-21-2011, 5:12 PM
Don't think $10K would be enough to get the Martin jointer/planer machine they just came out with. 20 inches of width, Martin quality. Long, wide tables. Guess I will have to settle for the Felder 16" machine.

I didn't know that we could use the words settle and Felder in the same sentence!!!!! I'd settle for a Felder combo saw/shaper any day.

Van Huskey
12-21-2011, 6:10 PM
I didn't know that we could use the words settle and Felder in the same sentence!!!!! I'd settle for a Felder combo saw/shaper any day.

Yep, words like Martin and Altendorf and Format 4 in a sentence make "settle for" appropriate preceeding Felder.

keith ouellette
12-21-2011, 6:15 PM
Which ever tool is the most expensive in the world. Then I could sell it and buy an all new shop with moderately priced tools (yet better than what I have) and maybe have money left over.

Timothy Wolf
12-21-2011, 8:52 PM
I would have to take a shop addition with $10k because I wouldn't know what to do with any one machine that cost over $1,500 new nor would it be a worthwhile investment for me. A laser engraver or CNC would probably be on my list if it had to be a tool. Merry Christmas everyone.

P.S. Santa already brought me a decent Radial Arm Saw, a quality Drill Press, and a whole bunch of Clamps, and some handheld sanders this month. So I'm good for now (this month).

Steve Kohn
12-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd take a 5 HP shaper with 1 HP power feeder (that's all one tool right?) and tooling until I get up to the $10K.

Ray Newman
12-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Since we are fantasizing, Santa could drop me off a time machine.

Would like to go back in time and work with my paternal grandfather (1876-1960) and my paternal great-grandfather (1838-1917). Both enjoyed a good reputation as fine builders and bee keepers. I would also like to talk with some of the builders that they knew, particularly the masons who built stone arch bridges, especially the double arch bridges.

Brian Myers
12-22-2011, 9:29 AM
Powermatic 3520b or an old 12-16" jointer (shorter is better here for space) . Could really use both.

Carl Babel
12-22-2011, 7:19 PM
Bridge City Tool Work Joint Maker Pro, maxed out with new Precision Fence. I know that there is no motor, but I can't see how you wouldn't call this a machine.

Thom Porterfield
12-22-2011, 7:28 PM
Thickness planer.

That's after my first request from Santa: time to get something done.

Jim Becker
12-23-2011, 3:59 PM
I would like "Santa" to bring me a "time machine"...one that would provide more time for the shop and my other avocation.