PDA

View Full Version : NICE wood Gloat "IF" I..........

Donny Lawson
12-20-2011, 8:52 PM
I think this is a kind of Cherry. It looks like it,smells like it, and purdy like it. Anyway,your gonna hate me but I let it go to the mulch pile. There is some 16" pieces in there too. If I brought home all the wood I see on a daily basis I would need a dump truck to drive to work. Should I try and dig some of it back out???? I would like to but I do NOT need it. I need therapy for my wood addiction. I'm getting better, I let a nice load of Maple go last week. Am I getting better??
Donny

David E Keller
12-20-2011, 9:00 PM
You can't turn it all, Donny, but you can sure try! It looks like cherry to me, and it's a pleasure to turn. As much wood as you come across, I'd be hard pressed to recommend you go digging for anything. If you haven't already started to do so, I'd consider cutting some of your stash into spindle blanks for things like ornaments and peppermills, so that they can dry... Since it takes a number of years to dry 3x3 stock, it wouldn't hurt to start putting some aside for the future.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2011, 10:09 PM
With the amount of wood you see, there is no way you could turn it all. I agree with David though about cutting some up for sometime down the road. I like to leave my wood in log form until I rough it out. If I can't, or don't think I am going to get to something before it starts cracking badly though, I will cut it up into smaller sections that might be able to dry with limited checking.

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Donny I agree with the others you can't turn it all. You see more wood lying around than we have trees at least around here in our part of Kansas.

charlie knighton
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
sometimes if i get just one section of log i feel better, enough to know what i let go

Steve Busey
12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I'd love to get a hold of some of those big pieces - would love to visit "Donny's Wood Emporium" someday. Are you "open" over the holidays?

Steve Kubien
12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
That looks a lots like yellow birch to me and if I am correct, grab every piece you can. Seriously, there is no better turning wood in my opinion.

Donny Lawson
12-21-2011, 4:08 PM
I'd love to get a hold of some of those big pieces - would love to visit "Donny's Wood Emporium" someday. Are you "open" over the holidays?

Steve, I am around most of the time. I did manage to bring home one piece of that to try. I set aside 3-4 more pieces to pick up later. I will get it maybe next week.

Steve Busey
12-21-2011, 4:31 PM
Thanks Donny - I'll try and PM you once I find out what the holiday schedule looks like.