PDA

View Full Version : A Couple More Commissioned Pens

James Combs
12-20-2011, 8:51 PM
A lady ordered these two pens for her two sons. They were fired at the boys' Grandmother's funeral. Both the Grandmother and Grandfather were carreer military folks during WWII and Korea. The sons apparently were mostly raised by the grandparents. The boys were given 3 of the fired cartridges at the funeral and their mother had ended up with them and had kept them for many years. She saw some of the bullet pens I had made and asked if I could make two of the cases into pens for her sons. Obviously I said yes.:rolleyes:

Stats:
Cartridges = 3006 Blanks
Cartridge Finish = Sanded to 800, Brasso polished and two coats of Deft RC lacquer
Wood 1st one = Asian Walnut 10 coats CA finished polished to 12000mm
Wood 2nd one = Old Hickory tobacco stick 10 coats CA finished polished to 12000mm
Center Band = African Black wood CA finished and polished to 12000mm
Hardware = Gun Metal Cigar pen styling
Refill = Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 M

C&C apreciated

Dan Hintz
12-21-2011, 6:42 AM
Wait, I'm a bit confused... you used the actual cases she gave to you, not just kits? Did you have FMJ slugs on hand, along with the press for sealing it to the cartridge? How did you drill the slug?

James Combs
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Wait, I'm a bit confused... you used the actual cases she gave to you, not just kits? Did you have FMJ slugs on hand, along with the press for sealing it to the cartridge? How did you drill the slug?

Hi Dan, yes I used the cases she gave me, no kits involved. They are commonly refereed to as "kit-less" pens. I have made probably 12-48 of these and only the first one was a kit pen and even in it I replaced the faux cartridge with another ladies 3006 blank funeral cartridge.

About a year ago a purchased a box of fifty 155 grain FMJ match grade slugs, a box of 50 165 grain FMJ match grade slugs, and a box of 277s. I also purchased 3006 and 277mag cartridges and have been given 308, 8mm, 7mm-mag and a variety of others. I also purchased the resizing equipment(and press) for 30cal and 8mm cases. Any more questions?:rolleyes::D

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Excellent work James! I am sure the recipients will appreciate the gift!

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Excellent pens James. They are going to love those.

Jim Burr
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
What a cool gesture JD! You should be proud!! Pens aren't to bad either!

Dan Hintz
12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Any more questions?:rolleyes::D
Can I borrow your press? :D

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
James.........these are just superb...........the story behind these particular cartridges is special and the pens will be cherished for many years to come..........just fine work!

Greg Just
12-21-2011, 1:15 PM
Beautiful pens and they will carry the memories of their grandparents with them.

James Combs
12-21-2011, 8:31 PM
Excellent work James! I am sure the recipients will appreciate the gift!
Thanks Steve, I had delivered the first one last week. I delivered other today(she had ordered them on separate dates) but they both went over extremely well. This lady works as the receptionist for our local ambulance service and I got another order from from one of the EMTs while I was delivering.

Excellent pens James. They are going to love those.
Thanks Bernie. She did like them in deed. She mentioned that she sure hopes her boys like them. I would have to say that her boys(men now) were hard cases if they don't like them.:o

What a cool gesture JD! You should be proud!! Pens aren't to bad either!
Thanks Jim, as you know you have to please the customer and pleasing the customer to me is a pleasure for me.

Can I borrow your press? :D
Hi Dan, sure come by anytime and you are welcome to borrow it.:D;)

James.........these are just superb...........the story behind these particular cartridges is special and the pens will be cherished for many years to come..........just fine work!
Thanks Roger, I always try to do my best for my customers especially in these kinds of circumstances.:)

Beautiful pens and they will carry the memories of their grandparents with them.
Thanks Greg, exactly what the customer and I are hoping for.