PDA

View Full Version : Antique Pine Finish

Aaron Conway
12-20-2011, 7:52 PM
Hi all, I'm working on a small end table made of pine. I'm going to distress the pine and I want to put a finish on it that will make it look like it's 100 years old...kind of a dark honey color with very dark/black in the dented portions of the table similar to the attached picture. I didn't do this table and it's not mine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Harold Burrell
12-20-2011, 8:52 PM
My wife and I have been doing the same sort of finish on some stuff that I am making for her. However, we're just learning ourselves so I will be watching this thread closely.

What we have been doing up to this point is...we distress it by (basically) beating it up in spots. Then we stain it. Next, we seal it with a coat of Sanding Sealer. Then we wipe on a quick coat of really dark stain (we like Minwax Jacobean) and then wipe it off almost immediately. The darker stain then stays in the distressed nooks and crannies.

Todd Burch
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I think you are going to have to use a dye stain. A pigment stain is out of the question - it will reverse the grain.

I've found that unfinished pine takes about 6 years to develop a nice patina, wherein a typical varnish, once applied, will give that look. Not sure how to get that look immediately.

Scott Holmes
12-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Garnet shellac will impart a nice color and not reverse the grain.

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm sure this is not a sophisticated suggestion, but seems like I recall some episode of the NYWS where Norm was talking about the finish they settled on after a lot of trial and error to give them that antique pine look...

Aaron Conway
12-21-2011, 7:09 PM
Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting. I'm also going to try Briwax. I'll post a pic when I'm finished. Thanks.

Scott Holmes
12-22-2011, 1:25 AM
Briwax is not a durable finish. No wax finish is very durable; regardless of what's claimed on the label.

Aaron Conway
12-22-2011, 8:32 AM
Briwax is not a durable finish. No wax finish is very durable; regardless of what's claimed on the label.

Yes, if I decide to go with the wax I may end up putting a glass top of the table. Thanks.