PDA

View Full Version : How to shrink picture file size to post pics on here?

Tony Shea
12-20-2011, 7:33 PM
Am trying to post pics of my gf's first project but all the pictures are too big in size. What can i do to shrink these?

lowell holmes
12-20-2011, 7:39 PM
You can resize pictures with a picture editor, like Microsoft Office.

Mark Baldwin III
12-20-2011, 7:45 PM
I open them up in Paint, then use the stretch/skew.

Brett Robson
12-20-2011, 8:44 PM
I use Paint as well. It's easy and comes with windows. Just remember the numbers you enter into the stretch/skew field are a percentage of the current size. 50% x 50% will reduce your pictures by half whereas 150% x 150% will increase it by 50%.

Easy peasey

Steve Elliott
12-20-2011, 8:45 PM
There's a freeware program called IrfanView that does an excellent job of producing relatively large, clear images with small file sizes. Here's an example of a 37k image:

A search for IrfanView will bring up sites to download from. The home page for IrfanView is www.irfanview.com.

Tom Clifton
12-20-2011, 8:48 PM
If you are a windows user, ifranview is free and very easy to use. It has the ability to do cropping, resizing and simple image manipulation (color, contrast etc). You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.

An excellent program - free - but with a steep learning curve is gimp. Runs u'nder windows, MAC or Linuz. The capabilities of gimp come close to if not equal to Photoshop - but as I said, it has a steep learning curve

Jay Rasmussen
12-20-2011, 9:43 PM
If you are a windows user, ifranview is free and very easy to use. It has the ability to do cropping, resizing and simple image manipulation (color, contrast etc). You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.

An excellent program - free - but with a steep learning curve is gimp. Runs u'nder windows, MAC or Linuz. The capabilities of gimp come close to if not equal to Photoshop - but as I said, it has a steep learning curve

This is a great FREE program!
http://www.irfanview.com/

Open the photo
Click on Image then resize/sample. Pick the new size then file "save as" a new file if you want to keep the original.

Jack Curtis
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
If you are a Mac user, use Preview, free from Apple with every OS. It handles resizing, color changes, and type conversions (tiff to jpeg, etc.) with aplomb. There's really nothing to learn or study, just get to the Tools menu. It also does a lot of pdf stuff for you, too.

Jack

Jim Marshall
12-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I use IrfanView also and find it very easy to use.

Don Kondra
12-21-2011, 1:32 AM
I can recommend FastStone Image Viewer, it is also a free download :)

Cheers, Don

Stuart Tierney
12-21-2011, 3:27 AM
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Does one job and one job only. Runs through explorer, no need to even look at the picture, right click, select the re-sizer and tell it how big you want it.

I'm sure all the other programs mentioned work really well and all that (and I've got and use gimp), but for a simple re-size, nothing better.

Really helpful when you've got full sized pics out of an SLR, a few hundred of them, and only want to re-size them before fiddling with them and make life easier for a computer that's not bleeding edge.

But does just one picture just as nicely.

Thank me later. ;)

Stu.

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 8:59 AM
Guys, this really needs another forum other than "Neanderthal Haven".

glenn bradley
12-21-2011, 9:17 AM

By George, he's right. Forget using something simple like PixResizer, trim the size of your pic down with a rabbet plane :).

Jim Koepke
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
You could also upload to photobucket and use the on-line image editing tools.

One problem with photobucket is after a few years the pictures may get moved or removed. Then the links don't work. I have read through a lot of old threads with links that have died.

There is the tech support forum for questions like this.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-21-2011, 2:27 PM
If you're going to use photobucket, you can download the sized file, and then reupload it here - and please do - it's a hassle when the files disappear, as Jim has mentioned.

Are you using any software to get the images off your camera? More often than not, that software has some way to resize the pictures.

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 2:46 PM
There is the tech support forum for questions like this.

jtk

'Zactly! What Jim said.....

Jack Curtis
12-21-2011, 7:44 PM
'Zactly! What Jim said.....

Was your intent to shut off this thread or to extend it with a different topic?

Jack

Larry Frank
12-21-2011, 7:50 PM
If you are using windows, there is a resizer available to use. When you open open the file folder, you can select pictures to resize. It works pretty easy. If it is not an option, you can go to Microsoft to get it for free.

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 8:03 PM
Was your intent to shut off this thread or to extend it with a different topic?

Jack

No, Jack. My intent was to get the posters (all of them) to realize that there is a tech forum, and the Neanderthal Haven isn't it. Unless, of course, one is looking for tech help on Neander tools and techniques. Is there a problem?

Jack Curtis
12-21-2011, 8:53 PM
No, Jack. My intent was to get the posters (all of them) to realize that there is a tech forum, and the Neanderthal Haven isn't it. Unless, of course, one is looking for tech help on Neander tools and techniques. Is there a problem?

Not for me, I was perfectly content to try to help the poster. Whether he had tried the tech forum and gotten unsatisfactory response was not revealed, although this would have been unlikely for this problem. But then, I've had a pretty good day.

Jack

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 9:00 PM
Good. Help him find the tech forum.

Jack Curtis
12-21-2011, 9:20 PM
Good. Help him find the tech forum.

I think that's your responsibility now, Maurice. I haven't a clue as to where it is, never having needed it.

Jack

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 9:27 PM
Jack, since you are new around here, I'll help you out...for future reference. Who knows, you might need it in the future.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?7-Forum-Tech-Support