PDA

View Full Version : Whats On Your Neander Wish List This Holiday Season????

Chris Griggs
12-20-2011, 1:02 PM
Feeling materialistic? Then this will be fun! What are you wishing for this Holiday season (regardless of whether or not you'll actually get it)?? Every year I send a list of tools and other things to my family, MANY of which I have little to no expectation of actually getting. So what's on your wish list this year????

Here's my list this year, copied and pasted verbatim from the list I emailed my family a couple weeks ago (although everything listed in the email I sent was an active link). I'll add, and I think it goes without saying, that this list could go on and on.....

Books & DVDs

Wooden Planes and How to make them

Making Traditional Wooden Planes

Furniture in the Southern Style

The Book of Shaker Furniture OR How To Build Shaker Furniture

Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes (DVD)

Tools - most of which I don't realistically expect to get (or gift cards to any of the associated retailers, please coordinate so that all gift cards are to same store)

Gramercy Bow Saw

Gramercy Handle Makers Rasp

Gramercy 8" Modeller Rasp

Lee Valley Veritas Flat Spokeshave OR Low-angle Spokeshave

Somax Fine (Blue) Saw set

Lee Valley/Veritas Small Plow Plane

Lee Valley/Veritas Large Shoulder Plane

Lee Valley/Veritas Miniature Router Plane

Lee Valley Veritas Apron Plane or Lie-Nielsen No. 102 Low Angle Block Plane

Lee Valley Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane

Lie-Nielsen Iron Miter Plane

Lie-Nielsen No. 4 Smooth Plane

Lie-Nielsen No 5 1/2 Bench Plane

Lie-Nielsen Small No. 041 shoulder plane

David Weaver
12-20-2011, 1:09 PM
I'd love to have an assortment of really premium and large antique japanese hones mined 75+ years ago.

But that's not going to happen.

I'd also love to have a big filarmonica and a two-wheeled razor grinder (that'd be separate, not for use of the filly, of course)..

... but that's not going to happen for the same reason.

What I'd love to have above and beyond that is someone who would go through my tools and sell all of the ones that I don't use and would never miss, and desposit the proceeds in my bank account

..and clean up and organize my shop in a way that I'd do it if I actually did that (so that I could find my tools after they were organized).

:)

Chris Griggs
12-20-2011, 1:16 PM
Looking back at my list, I'd also add a bunch of quality saw files ahead of some of those premium tools.

Prashun Patel
12-20-2011, 1:18 PM
small BU smoother from LV. But I think it'll end up being a ne handbag for my wife, instead.

Michael Peet
12-20-2011, 1:47 PM
LN large router plane. I haven't asked for it, so I won't get it. However, I may treat myself after the holiday..

Mike

bob blakeborough
12-20-2011, 1:50 PM
I am pretty lucky... My wife lets me buy my own Christmas presents! lol!

Had a pretty successful winter season selling tires, so this year I was able to spoil myself. On order is a 14 inch Bad Axe crosscut saw, a Two Lawyers fine Joinery saw, and a Knew Concepts fret saw. I was torn between the Two Lawyers saw and an LN shooting plane, but the saw won out...

Chris Griggs
12-20-2011, 1:52 PM
I am pretty lucky... My wife lets me buy my own Christmas presents! lol!

Had a pretty successful winter season selling tires, so this year I was able to spoil myself. On order is a 14 inch Bad Axe crosscut saw, a Two Lawyers fine Joinery saw, and a Knew Concepts fret saw. I was torn between the Two Lawyers saw and an LN shooting plane, but the saw won out...

I think I speak for all of us when I say... You suck!;)

Those Two Lawyers saw look pretty nice, but the LN Shooting plane would have one out over the saw in a heartbeat for me....

Tom Lauder
12-20-2011, 1:53 PM
I have a request in for saws. An adria small carcass and/or a dovetail saw. I'm not sure I've been a good enough boy this year but we'll see.

Tom

Mike Holbrook
12-20-2011, 2:17 PM
Chris, you were being so helpful until you made this awful post........ohhh, ok, it just so happens I have a list I have been working on. I can't stop to update it right now and it is a week old but...

Tools For Working Wood

Gramercy hand cut Cabinet Rasps
5" long , 25 tpi
6 1/2" long, 18 tpi

Gramercy Full bow saw kit -
3 12" blades, a pair of pins and the two wooden knobs

Gramercy Tools 14" Sash Saw Kit

Dovetail Saw Kit with sharpened blade, back, screws, and instructions.

The Gramercy Tools Split Nut Driver

Gramercy Hand Cut Riffler Rasp Set

Lee Valley

VeritasŪ Surface Clamp,

Wonder DogŪ,

Bench Anchor,
1-1/4" Fastener, round head,

VeritasŪ Hold-Down

VeritasŪ Surface Vise

4-3/8" Bench Dogs,
Muzzles for Bench Dogs,

24" x 36" H.F. Rubber Sheet,

Tail-Vise Screw
Optional Handle,

Right/Left-Hand Plow Plane with all 5 Blades
(1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8")

Router Plane and Fence

Benchcrafted

MOXON VISE HARDWARE
BENCHCRAFTED SKRAPER

SPLIT TOP ROUBO PLANS

I want the Gramercy Handle Makers Rasp but it has been out of stock for several months. I called and understand that there is one maker who cycles through the list. I hear he should be getting to the Handle rasp soon. My current thoughts on hand saws are leaning toward Lie-Nielsen and Adria selections and there are several other Lie-Nielsen items I want too....

I removed the prices because I was afraid that might be a policy conflict and I know some sadistic person would try to add it all up. It turns out when one turns 62 one MUST take their first IRA distribution :-)

bob blakeborough
12-20-2011, 2:28 PM
I think I speak for all of us when I say... You suck!;)

Those Two Lawyers saw look pretty nice, but the LN Shooting plane would have one out over the saw in a heartbeat for me....

I am absolutely going to make the LN 51 my next "way out there" purchase... I am literally saving my pennies for that one. I have a change can where all my metal money from my pocket at the end of every day goes. Being in Canada, when have $1 and 2$ coins (bills only begin at $5) so it can build up pretty quick. Hopefully will be there in a couple months!

Bob Warfield
12-20-2011, 5:11 PM
You must have been a REALLY good boy this year!
Happy Holidays...Bob

Mark Baldwin III
12-20-2011, 6:44 PM
About the only tools that I want that I don't have plans on making is a metal jointer plane, and a molder to use for the trim in my kitchen. Since all of these antiques started following me home, there's not a lot of tools that I want or need now.

Stuart Tierney
12-20-2011, 7:02 PM
Being materialistic, and strictly so, a nice new plane with a powder metal blade in it.

(Sitting on my desk now. Tax write off. Needed in the next week or so for something in particular, and then I don't know if I'll be able to afford to keep it or not. :( )

I could ask for a bunch of things, but there's no chance I'll get any of them so I've never really thought about it at all.

I'll settle for everyone I know and everyone who's important to them, folks I'll make acquaintance with in the future and generally everyone to have at least one thing that puts a smile on their face over the season. The way things are in on this rock at the moment, hoping for much more than that is pointless.

I have 2 small children. I get that smile every day. :)

Especially when your 4 year old daughter decides to go to the toilet in the same way her 5 year old brother does. :D

(And she didn't miss!)

Stu.

Jim Neeley
12-20-2011, 7:13 PM
Mine's for Wicktor Kuc to make an early delivery on a drill and some braces he's restoring for me.

Since they're not scheduled for 3-4 more months I know it's a fantasy, but it's a wish!!

Jim

Dave Anderson NH
12-20-2011, 7:33 PM
For me it's not more tools, but rather more time to use them. Of course the are a few things I wouldn't mind........

Bruce Haugen
12-20-2011, 8:27 PM
There are a few things I could ask for, very few if any that I need.

EXCEPT:
Time and a heated shop.

Larry Fox
12-20-2011, 9:18 PM
I would not turn away a LN small chisel plane if one were to show up under the tree. :)

Joe A Faulkner
12-20-2011, 9:24 PM
I've been led to expect the fine tooth saw set, #5 Hock Plane Iron, and 8" inch mill file that I ordered from Tool for Working Wood, as well as the vintage #8 Stanley Jointer that I picked up at a Southern Indiana Antique Mall a few weeks ago. Now, if I can only find the time to tune up that old plane, and try my hand at sharpening a few old backsaws.

JohnPeter Lee
12-20-2011, 9:43 PM
Mine already arrived - a Wenzloff #77 in Black Walnut.
Oh, and peace on earth.
JP

Chris Griggs
12-20-2011, 10:30 PM
As of today, I have it on good authority that I am getting two of the books on my list. Hopefully, one of them is one of the planemaking books, then I can cross half the other stuff off my list and just make my own.

Brian Kent
12-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Like I said on the thread on woodworking machines from Santa, I am completely satisfied and don't need anything. I just get high on life and America.

Except for a medium shoulder plane from Lee Valley.

And Lee Valley dovetail saws to go with my new LV Carcass Saws.

And a perfect block plane.

or whatever that's new and shiny.

James Owen
12-21-2011, 1:40 AM
The tool set is in pretty good shape, but.....
A travisher from Ray Iles,

A plow plane or a pair of snipes-bill planes from Old Street Tools, or

A class (or two) from Peter Follansbee and/or St. Roy....

would be pretty hard to turn down......

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2011, 8:57 AM
All I want for Christmas is a bag of money.

Trevor Walsh
12-21-2011, 9:45 AM
Chris, I hope one of the planemaking books/DVD's is in your kit as well. I've loved reading through Whelan's stuff and Larry's DVD is great.

On my list is a LV left hand skew rabbet plane, Veritas hold down, bench dogs, right hand skew block, a set of tapered irons from LN, carving DVDs, etc.

I think I've finally finished my chisel collection with a small english set I got on the Bay, though I have to wait and see if they are more carving tools or not. Now I have what I'd consider the perfect set for dovetailing (still working on an 1/8") and an assortment for regular work. I might want two or so butt chisels for hinge and lock installs, but they are not critical like the aforementioned stuff.

john brenton
12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
A good knife. I used to see these little swedish knives all the time on the bay...but as soon as I decided to buy one I never saw it again. I'm not sure if they are made for luthiers or leather workers, but they are awesome. They are flexible and don't have any scales.

Chuck Nickerson
12-21-2011, 12:40 PM
A set of Iles pig stickers would complete the season.

Jim Neeley
12-21-2011, 4:13 PM
For everyone but the pig, Chuck! Actually, for him too!! :D

Moses Yoder
12-21-2011, 4:33 PM
I am hoping my dad lives to see us all for Christmas this year. That would be a great present!

Jay Maiers
12-21-2011, 5:51 PM
A good knife. I used to see these little swedish knives all the time on the bay...but as soon as I decided to buy one I never saw it again. I'm not sure if they are made for luthiers or leather workers, but they are awesome. They are flexible and don't have any scales.If you're looking for a Mora and you dont receive one as a gift, check out swedishknives.com. I'm in the market for a few Schwarz books and a couple of DVD's by David Charlesworth. Other than that, most of the tools I want are too expensive. I did get a tail vice screw for my birthday last week, so I can finally finish off the legs and leg vise for my new bench:cool:

I am hoping my dad lives to see us all for Christmas this year. That would be a great present!
Family. One of the greatest gifts of all.
I hope your wish comes true.