PDA

View Full Version : Pin stripes n' black hat

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I was able to orient the grain on this piece of maple to achieve what I wanted in this little piece. I also wanted to break the rules of form by combining some curves, hard angles and a foot!!! I think curves combined with some sharp angles give some visual interest a bit above what simple "round & brown" does at times.

Stands about 7.75 inches with the finial and is about 4.75 inches wide at the shoulder. Comments welcome!

Still have a little finishing to do........a little sanding and another coat of WOP.

Dennis Ford
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Breaking the rules is often fun. The convex curve of the bottom section and the concave curve of the top work together well. The foot bothered me at first but it is growing on me. I like the way this came out. My only quibble is that the curve could continue through the finial base a little better.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Breaking the rules is often fun. The convex curve of the bottom section and the concave curve of the top work together well. The foot bothered me at first but it is growing on me. I like the way this came out. My only quibble is that the curve could continue through the finial base a little better.

Dennis,

I had to turn these two pieces totally separate, and just make an educated guess on the curve up the finial..........I had no way of putting the two together on the lathe with my setup............what I would like to have done is put the finial on the piece and refine the curve to match.............

For having to make a guess at it, I don't think it is too much off the mark.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 3:37 PM
I forgot to mention..............the finial is Appalachian Ebony! :rolleyes:

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 3:47 PM
Ok....I'll bite...what's Appalachian Ebony?
I'll second what Dennis brought up on the finial transition, and I like the stripe effect being vertical like that.
Curious why you didn't have ability to have placed finial up to the piece for final blending?
Typically, if I do this, I get everything done with my hollowing, then before parting, I will bring up any finial feature. Sometimes, if the form is really delicate at the opening/collar, I'll do the finial after establishing the top collar/opening and before hollowing, so enough meat there to push against with whatever my finial is being made from.

Jamie Donaldson
12-20-2011, 3:49 PM
Ok, as I said, I'll play your game- just what is Appalachian Ebony, and does it come in a can? I do like some angular effects in appropriate designs, and the obsession with tiny feet makes some work appear to be in danger of tipping in a breeze. These proportion are just right!

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 3:54 PM
Ok....I'll bite...what's Appalachian Ebony?
I'll second what Dennis brought up on the finial transition, and I like the stripe effect being vertical like that.
Curious why you didn't have ability to have placed finial up to the piece for final blending?
Typically, if I do this, I get everything done with my hollowing, then before parting, I will bring up any finial feature. Sometimes, if the form is really delicate at the opening/collar, I'll do the finial after establishing the top collar/opening and before hollowing, so enough meat there to push against with whatever my finial is being made from.

Tim,

In this case..........maple with alcohol based dye. I had the opening pretty thin...........not enough left to do the finial with pressure against it...........and to top it off, it developed two cracks at the opening just as I was finishing up the finial cuts on the inside to smooth things out with a round carbide cutter tip.

I had taken this off the lathe with the chuck still attached, and used another chuck for the finial, and when I saw the cracks opening up around the HF, then I quickly got the glue bottle and a clamp and went to work trying to save it from cracking down the top of the form and down the sides............thankfully, I averted that happening, but could not take the chance of putting the two pieces together and really had no way to put tail stock pressure on that point on the finial to boot........

At the moment I could not think of a practical way to accomplish it, so it is what it is..........thanks!

John Keeton
12-20-2011, 5:18 PM
Roger, I like this one! Nice contrast and good form and proportions. On the finial base (or, on the next one) you might try doing the finial in two pieces. That way, you can hold the finial base against the lid with the tailstock to shape it. I do that on many of my finials.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 5:20 PM
Roger, I like this one! Nice contrast and good form and proportions. On the finial base (or, on the next one) you might try doing the finial in two pieces. That way, you can hold the finial base against the lid with the tailstock to shape it. I do that on many of my finials.

That is a good idea John...........wish I had thought of that, however with the cracks, etc. on this it might not have worked anyway............thanks!

Baxter Smith
12-21-2011, 9:47 AM
Roger, your title reminds me too much of the New York Yankees uniform to be an unbiased judge.;):)
Member of Red Sox Nation.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice looking piece Roger. Breaking the rules at times can be a lot of fun.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Roger, your title reminds me too much of the New York Yankees uniform to be an unbiased judge.;):)
Member of Red Sox Nation.

Now Baxter,..........I will put up with a lot of things......being called a Yankees fan is another matter.:eek::D......but I am not a New York Yankees fan! :eek: My mind was thinking about a pin striped suit/tuxedo and a top hat, .... baseball, Yankees nor any other sports never entered my mind! :D:D:D

Ken Hill
12-21-2011, 1:13 PM
Looks good from the "rebel" side of things!

steven carter
12-21-2011, 2:17 PM
RULES, we don't need no stinkin RULES.... at least not when you break them and the result looks lilke this one!

Roger Chandler
12-21-2011, 9:17 PM
RULES, we don't need no stinkin RULES.... at least not when you break them and the result looks lilke this one!

That was a very kind comment..........thanks Steven!

Roland Martin
12-22-2011, 6:28 AM
Very nice Roger. Rules are meant to be broken, as long as nobody gets hurt:). I like the form on this turning and the grain orientation seems to fit it well. Nice job!

Steve Vaughan
12-22-2011, 6:56 AM
Roger, that's a really neat looking piece, the hard angles and curves all work well I think. Very well done!

Roger Chandler
12-22-2011, 7:39 AM
Thanks Roland, Steve ,Bernie and Baxter..........much appreciated!