PDA

View Full Version : A commissioned project

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Okay, I was approached by a lady who had seen the two Christmas Ornaments I made about 3 weeks ago...........

her daughter in law wants some ...............my question.........what do you guys normally charge for this type of ornament? I do not normally sell things..........I usually give them away, but this is different because someone is wanting me to especially make an order for them.

Tony De Masi
12-20-2011, 4:31 PM
Congrats Roger. Though I can't answer your cost question as I've not made any of these. Yet.

Richard Allen
12-20-2011, 4:47 PM
Price them such that you would be okay with making 100 of them at that price.

I have seen price tags of $65 for wood ornaments. Those ornaments were made of highly figured wood and finials were much longer with more detail. I would think these ornaments would have a fair market value between $10 and $20 each.

James Combs
12-20-2011, 5:08 PM
Roger I placed three segmented (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175942-A-Trio-of-Ornaments&highlight=) style ones in my local craft gallery at $25 about 3-4 weeks ago. The two larger ones have sold along with several of my ornamental birdhouses at similar pricing. I would think that 15-20 for unsegmented styles would be reasonable but YMMV.

Edit: However way back when I was looking to price mine I found them online for as high as $80. A lot will depend on the local market. An $80 ornament in my neck of the woods would be a dust collector. LOL