PDA

View Full Version : This is a cool video....

Jack Gaskins
12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
The possibilities are endless with this technique. I dont think I have ever seen anyone do this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WCz_zBgZko&feature=related

Dick Wilson
12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Jack, it is an interesting video. There are a couple of videos they posted. I found it particularily interesting because I have been mulling over doing a branch/epoxy pour to eventually do a HF. I just have to figure out what epoxy to use. I want to do the whole thing in a plastic bucket and I am afraid the bucket will melt.

Jack Gaskins
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Dick, the guy who supplies the resin to the turner in the video Part 2 says that epoxy resing will not melt anything and is completely safe to use. The turner use simple plastic bowls as moldes and a large plastic mixing bowl to mix the resin in. From what I watched this is a safe way to use some very cool pieces of junk wood. I think I definately going to give this a try in the spring time. The possibilities with using this technique are just endless. I sent the turner an email asking if he has colored his resin to contrast with the wood insteas of just using clear. This looks really fun...........

Scott Hackler
12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for posting that link. I found it very interesting and am now curious as to where I could buy a big ole can of resin!

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
That was pretty cool. Reminds me of some of the work Alan Trout does.

curtis rosche
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
i bought the cheapest epoxy i could find a year or two ago for stuff like this, even the cheapest wasnt quiet cheap enough to justify making a peice to sell, moreless a peice with no return. cool idea though

Alan Trout
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Hey folks,

The kind of work that I do is all pressure cast. Having seen epoxy casting for a long time It was one of the inspirations for my casting along with the desire to do it better and different. In most maybe not all of the epoxy castings you can find some air bubble no mater how small. Placing epoxy under vacuum would probably cure that. In my pieces you will never see any bubbles. Now with that being said my process is a bit more complicated and expensive to do as the equipment investment can be significant. I also build all my forms so I am not limited on shapes. For the guy looking to do one or two pieces, epoxy is probably the best alternative.

Alan

joel nucifore
12-20-2011, 1:27 PM
west systems is pretty good about $150 for both parts about a gallon,with the pumps it's about a $1.00 a pump.......

curtis rosche
12-20-2011, 1:42 PM
i found a source awhile back and got a gallon for $50 but i cant find the source anymore

Bill Wyko
12-20-2011, 5:03 PM
|I use epoxy's on Carbon fiber regularly. There's a product called Envirotex lite. It's about 80.00 bucks for a 2, 1/2 gallon kit. if you let it sit after mixing it up for a few minutes you can pass a torch over it to pop all the air bubbles that rise to the surface before pouring it.

Russell Eaton
12-20-2011, 8:47 PM
Cool video Jack thanks for posting.

Steve Harder
12-20-2011, 9:24 PM
PBS Crafts in America episode that featured Moulthrop family - I think Philip did some resin casting that differentiated his work from his dad.

David E Keller
12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Interesting videos! I see lots of possibilities with this type of material!