PDA

View Full Version : shenhui and laserworkv5

Marc Pod
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
HI,

I got my new Sgh350-60w connected everything installed laserworkv5 which came with machine. Send
jobe to laser and laser does not fire. Otherwise if I press Laser on control fire it works. Help needed. Thanx.

Marc

Rich Harman
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Check Min and Max power settings. Should be at least 15%, maybe more. Make sure that you have the layer set to "on".

Do you have the water pump running?

Marc Pod
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Ok. I'll check that later one. Few other things like auto focus, focus how does that one set up. Thanx. btw water pump is running.

Rich Harman
12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
In the newer software you have to change the autofocus setting using the computer. You will need the password to alter the value for the Z axis. Best bet is to contact one of the techs at Shenhui and they will remotely take control of your computer to show you where the setting is.

In the older version you can change the autofocus via the LCD.

Khalid Nazim
12-20-2011, 3:02 PM
Do you know if your laser is connected to the PC? Click the check com icon to see if your laser is actually connected to the computer.

Marc Pod
12-20-2011, 3:05 PM
Yep it is connected. Job goes to laser but laser does not fire.How to set up focus??
otherwise I use Epilog lasers.

Khalid Nazim
12-20-2011, 3:43 PM
Do you have autofocus on your machine? If you do then place the piece that you are working on on the laser bed. Move your laser head to the area above your piece using the keypad on the LCD. Then press Z/U button on the LCD. Select Axis Reset and then select Z Axis to reset. The table will then move up/down to the correct height.

If you don't have autofocus but you have motorized table, then you will need to use your focus sticks. Place the correct focus stick for your lens that came with your machine between your work piece and lens holder and then use the LCD panel keys - Z/U and then left/right keys to move the table up or down or you can move the lens holder up and down.

On the other issue that you are facing of the laser not running when after you have sent the job to laser. Are you DOWNLOADING the job to laser or running (PROCESS) the job from Laserworks? If you are DOWNLOADING the job to laser then you have to run the job from the LCD panel - click on FILE on the LCD panel and then MEMORY FILE and there you will see your file. You will need to select the file there and run it.

Alternately you can just select PROCESS in LaserWorks and the laser will work directly from there.

Marc Pod
12-20-2011, 3:53 PM
Hmm. I did not get any focus sticks. How do they look. So I hope auto focus works.

Khalid Nazim
12-20-2011, 4:14 PM
Focus sticks are acrylic sticks which are cut to have one dimension equal the size that you need to maintain between the nozzle and your workpiece. You can cut one yourself. Make a rectangle in laser works with one side equal to 9.3mm and the other side for 100m. Cut this out of 3mm acrylic/plex. When you are focusing you will need to stand this stick on the 100mm side so that its 9.3mm tall and place it between the nozzle and the work piece, You should then move the table up/down or the nozzle up/down so that the nozzle just touches the stick. This is how you will manually focus the laser.

Khalid Nazim
12-21-2011, 9:42 AM
Marc,

Were you able to resolve your issue with the machine?

Regards
Khalid

Marc Pod
12-21-2011, 1:24 PM
Yes machine startedt to work, still don't know why. But I can only cut things if I import picture(jpg,bmp, ....) I got following error on LCD

Frame sloop
work paused
enter for continue
esc for cancel

does any of you guys have a guide book " how to for shenhui lasers"

I'm getting an idea why are my Epilog Helix lasers costs 5 times more money than chinese one.

Rich Harman
12-21-2011, 2:34 PM
I think if you try to raster too close to the edges of the frame you will get that error. There needs to be some space either side for accelerating and decelerating.

Marc Pod
12-21-2011, 3:03 PM
Hmm. I would expect that if picture for rstering is in middle of page that laser starts at middle of page(at least Epilog does) but it looks like shenhui does not. and the manual is completely enigmatic, abtruse, obscure, impossible to understand ..... .)

Khalid Nazim
12-21-2011, 3:35 PM
Marc,

The laser starts from where the head is from the graphics perspective. Go to Config/System Settings. There you will see Laser Head settings. There are nine positions of the laser head with respect to the GRAPHIC that you can select. This allows you to set your piece under the laser head where ever it is on the bed and start your processing. If you put your work piece on the bed and the laser head is in the upper left corner of the piece then go to the Config/System settings and select the upper left corner for laser head settings.

I think you need to forget how an Epilog works to understand how the Shenhui works. I had the advantage of never using a Laser before in my life and I am able to use my machine on the same day I powered it up.

If you need to get more help you can reach me on skype at maknazim.

Regards
Khalid

Marc Pod
12-26-2011, 6:32 AM
Thanx. Can you explain following vendor settings

Rich Harman
12-26-2011, 1:47 PM
Hmm. I would expect that if picture for rstering is in middle of page that laser starts at middle of page(at least Epilog does) but it looks like shenhui does not. and the manual is completely enigmatic, abtruse, obscure, impossible to understand ..... .)
By "frame" I meant the machine's frame. If you place your work on the far left side of the work table and then try to raster something, there will be no room to the left of the image for the laser head to accelerate and decelerate. The faster you have set the rastering speed, the more room is needed.

Most of those vendor settings should be left alone. Only the "Step Length(um)" should be adjusted when calibrating. My machine's X axis step length is something close to 5.995, a huge difference from what yours is.

Through testing I have found that I can raster at 800mm/sec, so I have changed the max speed to a conservative 650mm/sec.

The one other setting that I have changed is the "Max Power(%)" I have mine set to 95%.

I think you best bet is to Skype one of the Shenhui Techs.

Marc Pod
12-28-2011, 4:01 AM
ok. thanx. question regarding cooling water. Do you use normal/tap water or distilled water. what is right temperature of cooling water for laser to run best. Mine is usually 19-20 degree Celsius. One more q. How to set laser head origin to 0,0(upper left corner). Thanky you.

Khalid Nazim
12-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I use distilled water and the temp for my chiller is also 19-21 deg C. The machine's hard coded origin - the origin where the laser head goes to when it starts - is set based on the limit switches installed on the machine. On my machine the limit switches are installed on the upper right corner of the machine and that's where the machine goes to when I start. So the start up/hard coded origin position cannot be changed - unless you move the limit switches.

You can disable the machine's movement to the hard coded origin position by changing couple of parameters in the vendor settings.

On the vendor settings list that you posted, I am compiling some explanations that I am working with Shenhui tech and will post soon. However, as Rich pointed out the parameter that you are most likely to change is the step length to adjust calibration on x and y axis.

Regards

Regards

However, after the initial start up positioning, the machine then goes to the "origin" that the user had selected when processing the last job before switching off.

Marc Pod
01-10-2012, 4:03 PM
I'm doing an optical path adjustment but laser hits mirror #1 in upper middle part not in center . How can I lower laser tube. Rotating it does not help. Thanx.

Khalid Nazim
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Can you take a picture of your laser tube holders and put here? On my laser, the tube holders allow me to raise or lower the tube or even raise one end and the lower the other. See the pictures attached:

Marc Pod
01-11-2012, 3:20 PM
Thanx. SH-G350D tube has different mount from yours. Instead of lowering tube I raised mirror and everything is ok now. One more Q. Led display on machine has max speed set to 66%. What does that mean. Does setting speed to 90% in Laserwork software overide that 66% or does it mean 90% of 66. Thank you.

Khalid Nazim
01-11-2012, 4:17 PM
The max speed on the LCD is the speed used by the controller when you move the head manually using the arrow keys on the LCD. The setting on the LCD is overridden by the Laserwork software parameters when the laser is controlled by the program.

Furthermore, the speed units are in mm/sec and power is in %. In both cases, the max/min settings on the LCD panel are only used when you are controller the laser from the LCD.

Rodne Gold
01-12-2012, 12:53 AM
You need to check in the machine vendor specs what you set max speed as , it will override EVERYTHING , the password to see vendor settings is rd8888 , you need to do a read , then correct values and then a write , you can save the existing values as a configuration file
The power percentage is absolute - IE its relative to the total output the tube can deliver . If you have set max power at 95% in the "firmware" , then using a power percent of 50% in softwre is not 50% of 95% , its 50% of 100%. for maximum tube life , set your max power at 95% or so , using 100% will shorten tube life.

Abe Levinson
01-15-2012, 3:06 PM
Hi,
Sorry, I don't have a shenhui laser. I'm working with a spirit GX, but based on the error message you're receiving, it sounds like the graphics you're sending, or the laser itself, is set up up for engraving rather than cutting. Make sure the lines you want to cut are set at hairline in the software. Also make sure that your page layout size is the same size in hight and width as the working area of your laser bed and that all of your graphics are within that page when you send it to the laser. If your printer drivers for the laser give you the option for setting controls for different colors, make sure whatever color your cut lines are in the graphics software that the same color in the printer driver contol panel is set for cutting and not engraving. Hope this helps.

Marc Pod
02-02-2012, 4:58 AM
Hm. If I change step lenght machine starts to hit the frame. Can anyone explain(with exapmle) please what exactly is meant by following instructions.

Step length: Or the pulse equivalent of the motor, it means the absolute distance covered by the
corresponding axis when a pulse is sent to the motor. Before correct setting of this value, you can
make the machine to cut a large rectangle (the larger figure, the less error) and the motor pace
length can be calculated automatically with the length of the figure and the measured length. Thanx

Dan Hintz
02-02-2012, 5:50 AM
Hm. If I change step lenght machine starts to hit the frame. Can anyone explain(with exapmle) please what exactly is meant by following instructions.

Step length: Or the pulse equivalent of the motor, it means the absolute distance covered by the
corresponding axis when a pulse is sent to the motor. Before correct setting of this value, you can
make the machine to cut a large rectangle (the larger figure, the less error) and the motor pace
length can be calculated automatically with the length of the figure and the measured length. Thanx

This is a really small value, like 0.001" or 0.01mm... this will vary based upon your machine.

Glen Monaghan
02-02-2012, 10:38 AM
length can be calculated automatically with the length of the figure and the measured length.

The idea is the head can only move in small increments called "step length." A step length, as Dan said, is usually a pretty small number like 0.001" or 0.01 mm but, because of mechanical errors and general vagaries of the real world, the machine's actual step length probably will be ever so slightly different than this nominal value. For small shapes, the difference won't be noticeable. However, with large shapes, the cumulative error may become visible.

So, the instructions say to cut a large rectangle (so that you can more easily detect any error). For example, cut a side that is supposed to be 10 inches long. If the step length is currently set to 0.001 inches, then the motors will be pulsed 10/0.001=10,000 times to cut that 10" edge. Then measure the actual length of the cut side, for example it may come out to be 10.1 inches or 9.9 inches. Whatever it is, the ratio between the intended length and the actual length (e.g., 10/10.1 or 10/9.9) is the correction factor that must be applied to the step length so that the machine most accurately cuts the shapes you specify. In this case, if the step length is set to 0.001 and you measured 9.9", correct the step length to 0.001*(10/9.9)=0.00101"

-Glen

Rich Harman
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
On my larger machine the stepper drivers are set to 5000 steps per revolution. The sprockets on the motors are 20 tooth which connect to a 40 tooth sprocket which drives a 20 tooth sprocket for an overall 2:1 ratio. The belts are 3mm pitch.

One revolution of the motor is 30mm of travel.

30mm/5000 steps equals a step length of .006mm or 6.000um.

Oddly enough, in order to make a perfect 400mm square I need to have the X axis set to 6.006 and the Y axis to 5.985. It is impossible to set a step length that is perfect for both small and large shapes. For small shapes it is the backlash that has the greatest effect and on large shapes it is the step length. My current setting are a compromise.

Part of the problem is that my main board does not support the latest software and therefore does not support backlash compensation. This despite having specifically ordered the new style main board. I have contacted Shenhui and they have offered to ship me the new style main board.

In the mean time when I have the need to cut with absolute precision, such as perfect circles or gears, I will measure with a digital caliper and make the necessary adjustments in the file.

Jay Khan
02-03-2012, 2:01 PM
Hello Khalid,

I saw the pictures you posted on the discussion board. I'm interested in finding out what the sensor/wires going into the first mirror holder.

Thanks,
Jay

Rich Harman
02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Those wires are for a red dot laser. It is the kind that combines the red dot laser with the CO2 laser.

Khalid Nazim
02-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Rich is right. These sensors/wires are for the red dot pointer that is coincident with the laser beam.

Marc Pod
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Another q. On my Epilog I can run job with lid open(laser does not fire). How can I do that on Sehnhui laser. I only found option for tracing frame, but not the whole job.
Thanx

Rich Harman
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
The larger Shenhuis have a separate power button for the laser. You can run the job normally but with the laser power turned off.

Marc Pod
02-07-2012, 2:35 PM
I also have power button. With laser off I still can not run job with lid open to adjust cut path. Again only track frame works. Any ideas.

Marc Pod
02-07-2012, 2:36 PM
I have problem on far right side of my laser. See attached picture. . Any ideas what is causing this double line. Thanx

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 2:40 PM
I have problem on far right side of my laser. See attached picture. . Any ideas what is causing this double line. Thanx
Likely poor alignment...

George M. Perzel
02-07-2012, 2:40 PM
Marc;
Need a little more info-what are wew looking at?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Rich Harman
02-07-2012, 4:54 PM
If it won't run the job with the lid open that means that it has a mechanism for detecting that the lid is open. Find that mechanism and trick it into thinking that the lid is closed.

Khalid Nazim
02-07-2012, 9:43 PM
As Dan points out, this is an alignment issue. I had the exact issue a few weeks back and it went away when did a full alignment process.

Marc Pod
02-09-2012, 3:52 PM
As Dan points out, this is an alignment issue. I had the exact issue a few weeks back and it went away when did a full alignment process.
Yes, it was slightly miss aligned. :(. Where can I set DPI for rastering. Thanx

Marc Pod
02-09-2012, 3:53 PM
If it won't run the job with the lid open that means that it has a mechanism for detecting that the lid is open. Find that mechanism and trick it into thinking that the lid is closed.
Found it and tircked it..). thanx

Khalid Nazim
02-09-2012, 5:00 PM
DPI is shown as scan gap on the laserworks dialog box when you open the raster details. DPI to Scan Gap = 25.4/DPI

Marc Pod
02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Few q about that s..... sw called LaserworkV5. How can one rotate BMP image in laserwork. Tried everything but images does not rotate. How can one engrave text using laserwork.
If I wrote some text only cut option is available so I have to import text as bmp image from coreldraw. But I need better quality as imported bmp image.
I have some very delicate cut jobs to do which I can do it on Epilog without a prob. I align them using Epilogs red dot pointer. Here on Shenhui is some kind of red diode which is not
much help when trying to cut. If there is only slightest difference in height of material it goes out of sync with laser beam and it is not possible to align anything.??

john banks
02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm only a n00b hope this is all correct:

I haven't tried to rotate BMP in Laserwork, best do it in CorelDraw or Photopaint?

Text can be engraved by changing from cut to scan in the layer properties.

If you need high quality engraving of text, export the bitmap from CorelDraw at 1000 DPI at the correct size and don't resize again in Laserworks.

My red dot is through the mirrors and could be aligned by the adjustments where it is mounted. When set correctly it is aligned with the beam all over the table and with various lenses at various table heights. You can do this with a piece of tape like when aligning the main laser beam, make a mark with the correctly aligned main laser, and then align the red dot to it at both ends of the x and y travel.

If your red dot is at the head then I think since it is not coincident with the main laser then it will only be correct at one height?

Rich Harman
02-14-2012, 2:56 PM
When alignment really matters I fire the laser momentarily to make a mark on the material, then adjust the red dot to match.

Marc Pod
03-05-2012, 5:49 AM
My control board just went dead. Only red led D1 on cb is on.

Steven Cox
03-05-2012, 7:44 AM
My control board just went dead. Only red led D1 on cb is on.

When I first got my laser the control board also went dead after only a few weeks, Check the plugs on both the board and the motherboard that they aren't loose, that's all it was with mine.

Marc Pod
03-05-2012, 9:33 AM
First thing to check were cables. LCD display was full of strange chinese signs just before it went dead but laser was still working.

john banks
03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
You can still operate the laser from the PC in the meantime I expect?

Marc Pod
03-06-2012, 6:11 AM
You can still operate the laser from the PC in the meantime I expect?

yes, laser still works and I can control it from PC.

Marc Pod
03-16-2012, 6:02 AM
New c-panel is already on it's way from China.
Is is possible to fit 80W RECI tube on SH-G350D?

john banks
03-16-2012, 6:07 AM
Option to fit a box to cover the high voltage end if it is too long? I think the RECI tubes are a bit shorter, Rodney has the "normal" 60W and the RECI 80W so may be able to advise the diameter and length differences if you cannot find them readily in documents?

Rodne Gold
03-16-2012, 8:28 AM
Length is ok , its thicker so you may have issues , you might have to redo the tube mounts so the output is in line with the optics system.

Marc Pod
03-16-2012, 9:10 AM
Length is ok , its thicker so you may have issues , you might have to redo the tube mounts so the output is in line with the optics system.

Ok. thanx. Redoing mounts is not a problem. I proly also need a new power supply?

Rodne Gold
03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes , you do need a matching PS .. just be careful with the mounts , you need to lower them , check you actually have enough clearance to lower so that the output optic of both tubes are in the same place - the 80w reci is actually shorter (as far as I remember) and about 1.5x thicker , I'm not at work right now so cant give exact dimensions. We had/have plans to swap out our 60w in the 600 x 900 machine to an 80w reci.

Rich Harman
03-16-2012, 4:45 PM
The 80 watt Reci is about 1150mm long.

Marc Pod
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Received new control panel. works like charm.:)
Lenght of 80W reci is ok. What is diameter of tube? Thanx

Marc Pod
03-21-2012, 9:36 AM
Got lenght and diameter from Shenhui 1200mm, 80mm. With modification of tube holder I can fit it in my laser machine.

Nick Foley
08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Forgive me if this is obvious.... but...

How do I make Laserworks cut my graphic at the location I place it on the laserworks page, instead of at whatever location the laser head currently is sitting? Example: My machine has a 900x600 cutting area, so my page is setup to those dimensions. If I place text at 200, 200 (Zero point being upper right), the text doesn't cut at 200,200... it cuts with the green square of my text bounding box directly underneath the current laser position.

My first assumption was that the "Position:" drop down options (Current Position, Anchor Point, Machine Zero) were what controlled this behavior... but after testing all of them repeatedly, I see that this is not the case.

Any help?

Rodne Gold
08-03-2012, 2:17 PM
Go to "user" in the tabs above the object/layer list , "read" (the buttons below) - go to the other parameters section , click on "return position" , select "origin" , then "write" (buttons below)
Use the preview to see what the laser is doing...

Kees Soeters
08-03-2012, 6:37 PM
I'm not familiar to your machine but i suspect something like this:
For engraving a picture you set a certain speed, let's say 1000mm/sec.
To reach this speed, the head needs to accelerate from zero to this speed.
If your acceleration is set quite low or your speed is high, you need quite a long way to travel on the left and right side of your picture.
If this distance stretches over the (software)boundaries of the bed, your machine will start to argue with similar protests..

First try to engrave a small picture with, let's say, 200mm/sec max.
Inspect your acceleration-settings and startspeed

Kees