PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island Pine HF

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
This piece was completed a few weeks ago, and again, just getting around to pics. The knots were right in the middle of the blank, so I had to settle for a squattier profile than I wanted to capture the flame effect I love with NIP. This piece is about 8 1/2" across and 4 1/2" high, finish is AO, hand rubbed, no machine polish. I like the AO (antique oil), it drys fast and leaves the kind of finish I like for most my pieces. And...I can always choose to buff it to shiny if needed. Comments welcome. 216623216622

John Keeton
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Another nice one, Tim!!! I have really considered trying to get some NIP - it is such neat wood. I like the squat form.

steven carter
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Really nice, I like the flame feature from the knots. I'm going to have to get my hands on some NIP one of these days.

charlie knighton
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
very nice, Tim

The knots were right in the middle of the blank,

the cut does not leave you much room , but i like your form

John Beaver
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Tim, the form works perfectly with the wood. Nice job.

Dick Wilson
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Tim, it is almost impossible to get NIP here so this sort of looks like an exotic wood to me. I have always loved the knot configuration of this wood. I like that you didn't hollow to "read the newspaper through it". The bottom tells it all. Excellent centering. Beautiful grain, form and finish. I always grab the spray lacquer which I admit is probably a mistake in some cases.

Scott Hackler
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Another very nice piece. I also haven't gotten a piece of that to turn, but it sure is cool with those red "eyes".

Baxter Smith
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Very nice shape and it looks great with the wood. I have never even held a piece of the stuff. Does it turn anything like any of the east coast woods?

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the positive comments, I was pleased with how this turned out, and glad others like it too.

Very nice shape and it looks great with the wood. I have never even held a piece of the stuff. Does it turn anything like any of the east coast woods?
Baxter, all I can say is that it doesn't turn like anything else...except perhaps ....well, pine. It is prone to tearout and will frustrate you with the amount of tool sharpening required to tame it. Only second piece of this that I've turned, and you have to scratch your head to make sure you are getting the directions of the flames correct. The orientation of this piece is that the 'top' of the tree is facing down, which optimizes the angle the branches take in the trunk.
There's a little 'nib' on one side of the knot that has to face up to be sure orientation is correct when turning like this.
Some folks will turn these very thin and then soak in BLO or other oil to help provide translucency, but I've not tried. I like them like this, but will probably try sometime.
Hard to come by unless you run into people from south Florida or Hawaii...about only two states I think that have this.
This stuff is pretty pricey to buy off internet...so I don't buy online, only in person, i.e someone coming up with haul from Fla.
Ironically, when I was at the NC symposium this past November, someone was hauling a couple sections of this wood for someone who must have a BIG lathe, as the sections were every bit of 24" across and at least 20" tall in the back of pickup truck. I just stared in disbelief at those pieces....but too much for me!

Jim Burr
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Beautiful HF Tim!! I'm in the same boat as never having tried it before...just another thing to add to the ever growing list!

Bob Rotche
12-20-2011, 2:11 PM
Another nice one, Tim! I'm not usually a fan of the squat forms but I think this one works well and really optimizes the "eyes". Haven't had the opportunity to try NIP but it is definitely on my list. I saw that pick up truck at the NC convention as well- someone must have a very serious lathe to handle those!

Michelle Rich
12-21-2011, 7:28 AM
ooohhhh I like, very much. I think the squatty shape is fine, you got the shoulder curve just right & the opening perfect size.

Eric Gourieux
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
This looks great, Tim. You caught the angle of the limbs/knots just right. I just purchased some Norfolk Pine from a guy in Bradenton, FL. today. Can't wait to get back to Indiana to start turning it. Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
The grain is amazing on this one! You did a great job on capturing the flame effect!

Jesse Goodwin
12-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I have turned quite a bit of NIP, it grows all over the place down here. If turned centered on the pith while wet to finished shape, it is a dream and has very little deformation while drying. You can cut long flowing ribbons, but once it is dried, it is good fire wood, it tears out, abuses tools and is miserable to work with. At least that has been my experience. Next time the tree cutters call me with some, I will post and see who wants some. All I will ask will be shipping and packing charges.

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2011, 1:02 AM
That's really nice Tim! I like your form, nice curves and the neck looks to be just the right size. Very cool piece of wood too! Love the "eyes".

Rich Aldrich
12-24-2011, 1:48 PM
Interesting wood. I like the grain and the apparent flame. The form is really nice as well.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-24-2011, 4:39 PM
Stunning piece of work there, as Dick said above, well centred - I marvel at such grain patterns in wood...

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2011, 5:31 PM
That is a beauty. When I can get it I love turning NIP. Really well done and the form is really nice.