PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Root Burl Vase

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
This was completed several weeks ago, but just now getting around to some pics to share. I got a nice chunk of this wood from the root of one seriously burled up box elder tree. Surprisingly solid sections without huge voids. The colorations in this piece and much of the other wood from this root burl have a color that reminds me of buckeye burl, especially the contrast of greyish blue to creamy color. Anyway...here it is. I have played around with this hard break feature on a couple items after seeing a show-n-tell at a recent club meeting, and really liked the effect. The collar on this kinda reminds me of count dracula's collar. 10" tall x 6" across. Finish is AO, hand buff, no machine buff. Comments welcome as always.

John Keeton
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Tim, the wood is awesome!! The void and continuation of that void really add to the piece. I like the "hard break" because you carried enough of the curvature into the top of the form and into the underside of the neck. It all works very well.

Nice piece!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Tim that is a fine looking HF and the wood is just beautiful. Really a pleasing form.

David Reed
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Tim
I have been interested in turning some roots and this lively piece gives me more encouragement to make it happen. Love the wood and I am a fan of the hard and high shoulder. Did not know why here, but John's comment sounds like a great explanation to me. I always love voids, or nearly so and this is a great one.

steven carter
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Tim, very nice form and finish. Kind of reminds me of an Eqyptian vessel.

charlie knighton
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
very nice, large piece 10" deep

Bob Bergstrom
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
That is one of the prettiest pieces of box elder I've seen. Great job bring all the elements together. Wonderful execution!

Baxter Smith
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Great shape and great wood Tim! Well done!

Jim Burr
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey! There's a hole in your vase!!!
I really like the top section, shoulder, opening...well thought out shape!

Michelle Rich
12-20-2011, 1:11 PM
I like picture one. Shows off the color & shape very well. super vase

Jamie Donaldson
12-20-2011, 1:21 PM
I like this form very much Tim, but the color balance error in the image doesn't
do the wood justice. It appears that you are using a tungsten light source with the camera set for daylight, so I 've made a quick Photoshop correction.

Bob Rotche
12-20-2011, 1:32 PM
I really like this one, Tim! I am a fan of the hard high shoulder and am actually working on one right now. They don't always work but you pulled it off very well. The wood is gorgeous and it is very interesting the way the void carries over to the neck. Jamie's color correction makes it look even better. Well done!

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 1:35 PM
I like this form very much Tim, but the color balance error in the image doesn't
do the wood justice. It appears that you are using a tungsten light source with the camera set for daylight, so I 've made a quick Photoshop correction.
Jamie, again you've brought out the best in a terribly editted photo.
You are correct, it's a tungsten light source and I have User settings on my camera set to 3200K. Perhaps I erred when I did an 'auto-correct' on Olympus software. I will see how the same pic comes out using Photoshop on work computer.
Thanks again!

Jamie Donaldson
12-20-2011, 1:47 PM
Tim- I'm still using antique Photoshop Elements 3, but almost any software will allow basic color corrections. I suspect that your camera defaulted back to daylight before you shot the image, but play with the settings to see the results. Have you ever tried to color correct your monitor?

Nate Davey
12-20-2011, 3:18 PM
Tim, all of the forms you posted today are first class, but this one I love over the rest. Beautiful job. As to Photo editing, I use Photoshop Elements 9 and always leave a white card in the corner to white balance before cropping. If you have some free time after Christmas I'd love to come down and meet you and you can try it out.

Nate

Tim Rinehart
12-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Tim, all of the forms you posted today are first class, but this one I love over the rest. Beautiful job. As to Photo editing, I use Photoshop Elements 9 and always leave a white card in the corner to white balance before cropping. If you have some free time after Christmas I'd love to come down and meet you and you can try it out.

Nate

Thanks Nate, sounds like a good plan to me! PM me and we can iron out a date!