PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Addition to Lie-Nielsen's Site

David Keller NC
12-20-2011, 9:49 AM
Not sure how long it's been up, but L-N is now offerring a wooden-bodied spokeshave. It doesn't come up in the "new" items list, and since it notes that Christmas delivery cannot be guaranteed, my guess is that it's a very recent addition.

Depending on the actual design, I'd think this would be of significant interest. It's not easy to find a bevel-up wooden-bodied spokeshave that has much life left in it. Most have been used to the point of having a very wide mouth.

Jason Coen
12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I was able to play with one of these a couple of months ago. Like all LN tools, it was VERY well made and worked exactly as you would hope.

Chris Griggs
12-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I think I noticed up there about a month ago. Not sure when it popped up. Sorta odd that they haven't advertised it. Craftsman studio has it listed as "arriving soon". Perhaps LN is still working out kinks in the manufacturing process or just trying to build up some inventory before they fully market it.

Eric Brown
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Lie Nielsen has never been quick to market. Consider the chamfer plane, the chute board, the miter box. Where are they?
Their stuff is good, but not always the only choice. Consider the wooden spokeshave that was introduced
at the WIA show in Oct. An alternative (I think is better) is made by WoodJoy. Check them out.

Eric

Mike Holbrook
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I just recently bought the New Woodjoy #85. The only thing a buyer needs to know is like most of these semi custom tools it can take a while to get the item as they may have to be made after the order. The LN spokeshave has some similarities to the Woodjoy products. The LN says it is modeled after the Stanley # 81, Woodjoy's offering says it is modeled on the Stanley #85, which I think is a larger model of this spokeshave. My Woodjoy adjusts with a small allen wrench vs a single slot screw/bolt.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-20-2011, 6:44 PM
I'd have to see if I still have in my mail folder to be sure, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned this in their email newsletter when it was first added.

Jason Coen
12-20-2011, 7:18 PM
And for those that like to "roll their own": http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=49710&cat=1,50230&ap=1

I made the large spokeshave out of a scrap of QS yellow heart, and it worked great - until I sucked up both screw posts into my dust collector and ruined them. Really fun project that resulted in a fantastic tool (at least while I still had all the parts :o).

Chuck Nickerson
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I've been using the LN Razor Shave for three weeks, and really enjoy it.
By emailing customer support, you can order additional brass fences for shaping to various radii.
That should allow me to do concave work as well. That's next week's project.

Mike Brady
12-21-2011, 1:54 PM
It's a very nice shave to use. Only a very light touch is required to get clean cuts. I suggest making the wood sharpening jig to aid in honing the cutter. I'm also glad to hear about the shapeable bottom plates. It is mysterious that they slipped this new item in without fanfare. Perhaps production is still limited.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/finefettle/shave001.jpg

James Taglienti
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Stanley #84 razor shave.

James Owen
12-22-2011, 12:46 AM
It is mysterious that they slipped this new item in without fanfare. Perhaps production is still limited.

This is not the first tool that LN has stealthily slipped into their catalogue....they've done it a couple of times before, but at the moment I can't remember what the tools were.....

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-25-2011, 3:35 PM
Just got the LN email newsletter, they've added another new item, some carving chisels by Auriou and Chris Pye.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=559

Again, not mentioned in the "what's new" section of the site - although these at least have their own section on the left hand menu. Seems like if you want to know what gets added, the email newsletter is the best way to know . . .

Ken Shepard
12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I am certain the L-N shave is as good as all their other tools - I have many of them. However, as an alternative you might want to consider the line of shaves offered by Dave's Shaves - http://www.ncworkshops.com. I have no connection with Dave other than being a satisfied shave owner.

Ken