PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please ID this Freud dado set?

Timur Aydin
12-20-2011, 8:58 AM
Hi, I bought this Freud Safety Dado set from a local shop here. Actually, I was thinking that I am getting the SD608 with the fine adjustment, but instead got this. Knowing that dado sets are very hard to find in my country, I would like to collect information about this particular blade set. The Item number is specified as GL11M08A and it's an 8", 22 teeth dado set. I am attaching a picture showing the set and the label on it.

I really don't want to return this, because there isn't anything else I will be able to find. So I am hoping that people will tell me "oh, that's an ok dado set". I am planning to use this mostly on hardwood for cutting box joints and occasionally for cutting grooves on MDF.

Jerome Hanby
12-20-2011, 9:02 AM
Maybe I'm just naive, but my knee jerk reaction is that anything by Freud is at the very least "okay" and usually top notch! i can't see your picture from work (guessing you didn't upload it to the 'creek), but I'll email myself a reminder to look at it when I get home.

Joe Angrisani
12-20-2011, 9:07 AM
....I am attaching a picture.....

I see no picture when I open your post.

Timur Aydin
12-20-2011, 9:18 AM
Here are the pictures of the set:

http://www.taydin.org/web/freud_dado/IMG_2626.jpg http://www.taydin.org/web/freud_dado/IMG_2627.jpg http://www.taydin.org/web/freud_dado/IMG_2628.jpg http://www.taydin.org/web/freud_dado/IMG_2629.jpg

Timur Aydin
12-20-2011, 9:28 AM
Maybe I'm just naive, but my knee jerk reaction is that anything by Freud is at the very least "okay" and usually top notch! i can't see your picture from work (guessing you didn't upload it to the 'creek), but I'll email myself a reminder to look at it when I get home.

Hi Jerome, yes I did research Freud and know that they have a good reputation. What worries me is that a search of the item number GL11M908A returns absolutely no results on google. So I am worried whether I was given a chinese clone.

Jerome Hanby
12-20-2011, 9:33 AM
The guys at Freud have been pretty good at responding to my emails, I'd be tempted to to email them the pictures and ask them...

Roger Chandler
12-20-2011, 9:34 AM
I have the same set, only mine is an earlier version with a black coating on it.........it works good........I thought in some materials it had a little chip out, so I only use it for things like pine.........

I bought another set, it has a DeWalt label.......same set as the Delta had that was made to be like the Forrest dado King set......it has all the shims and is a better designed set...........Freud stuff is good, but the Forrest Dado King and the Delta set are better in my opinion.

Now that I take a closer look at the pics..............my black coated set does not have the skipped tooth that is on this set on the outer blades...............I wonder if it is a Knock off? I got mine from a local tool vendor and hardware specialty store....who carries main line brands.......tools being one of their biggest departments.........they cater to contractors and wood workers as a part of their business model.............

Jerome Hanby
12-20-2011, 9:36 AM
I found references to this model in Turkish and Portuguese documents....

Van Huskey
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
The brazing looks awefully nice and the carbide is unusually thick to be a knockoff...

scott spencer
12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Freud sells an SD300 series safety dado set, but it doesn't have that skip tooth. What are the chances that someone modified that blade?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TF6P3Q1GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Van Huskey
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
What are the chances that someone modified that blade?

I would say zero since it still has 22 teeth.

Kevin Presutti
12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
There are no laser cut expansion slots cut into his blade like the SD300 could be an earlier version, I mean it would be quite new old stock but since not expansion slots makes me think this is rather old, especially since a search shows nothing in english. Just an observation.

scott spencer
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I would say zero since it still has 22 teeth.

Great observation.

Timur Aydin
12-20-2011, 1:56 PM
The brazing looks awefully nice and the carbide is unusually thick to be a knockoff...

I just looked at the carbide tips in detail. Indeed, the edges are very crisp and sharp. I would have tried it on my saw right away, but first I need to replace the saw arbor with the dado capable one. My machine accepts at most 180mm dado blades, this one is 207mm, so I will loose some height. But I don't think I will need any deep dadoes anyway.

Van Huskey
12-20-2011, 2:00 PM
I think you have an authentic Frued set and imagine it is quite adequate. I further guess it is simply a set that was never marketed here which is the reason none of us are familiar with it.

Timur Aydin
12-20-2011, 2:01 PM
There are no laser cut expansion slots cut into his blade like the SD300 could be an earlier version, I mean it would be quite new old stock but since not expansion slots makes me think this is rather old, especially since a search shows nothing in english. Just an observation.

That makes sense. This was probably imported a long time ago and wasn't sold since then. I have called many vendors and nobody stocks dado blades anymore. Probably two reasons: Insufficient demant and European regulation considers dado blades too dangerous so it is outlawed. For example, when I look at Freud's UK web site, there is no dado set at all.

Rick Potter
12-20-2011, 3:48 PM
I would use it, as others have said it is probably an older model, but it has the safety bumps behind the teeth, so it is not THAT old. It says plainly on the label, and on the first picture of the blade that it is made in Italy, not China. I am sure it will work well for you.

The only drawback I see to the set is that there is no 3/32" chipper which is handy for metric ply which is now pretty standard. Shims easily solve that problem.

Rick Potter

Van Huskey
12-20-2011, 5:32 PM
I would use it, as others have said it is probably an older model, but it has the safety bumps behind the teeth, so it is not THAT old. It says plainly on the label, and on the first picture of the blade that it is made in Italy, not China. I am sure it will work well for you.

The only drawback I see to the set is that there is no 3/32" chipper which is handy for metric ply which is now pretty standard. Shims easily solve that problem.

Rick Potter

So you are saying the Rolex my friend bought for $23 on the streets of NYC is indeed made in Switzerland, man is he going to be excited. I think the fear was it was a counterfeit, at least that is how I read the posts, but knock off can be taken at least 2 ways.

Howard Acheson
12-20-2011, 7:20 PM
That dado is the Freud Safety dado. It's a quite old model. The US model number was SD300. It was replaced by the SD200 and the SD500 series. The teeth are a positive hook which makes for fast cutting but will leave a somewhat ragged, fuzzy top edge with chip-out when cross cutting veneered surfaces. Newer dados are mostly all negative hook angles which will cut much cleaner.

Rick Potter
12-21-2011, 3:34 AM
You can get a Rolex for $23?? Wow, haven't seen a deal like that since the Rollex I saw in Tijuana.

Rick

Jerome Hanby
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
My daughter and family are stationed in Germany and are close enough to make shopping trips to the Czech (or whatever they are called these days) economy. Many of the designer fashion companies have their wares made there and the factories keep cranking out product after they fulfill the orders. Those goods show up at incredible discounts...

So you are saying the Rolex my friend bought for $23 on the streets of NYC is indeed made in Switzerland, man is he going to be excited. I think the fear was it was a counterfeit, at least that is how I read the posts, but knock off can be taken at least 2 ways.