PDA

View Full Version : Took a little break tonight

Kathy Marshall
12-20-2011, 1:52 AM
For the last 2 weeks or so, I've been turning like a mad woman trying to get some things finished up (the tree trimmers bowls, lots of pens, etc), and even though I still need to find time to turn 3 salt and peppermill sets, a few more pens and a bowl or 2 before Sunday, I decided to take a break tonight and just turn something for fun.I turned the ornament globe a few weeks ago, and finally got around to turning the top and the icicle. I went by Woodcraft on Saturday on the way to our club meeting and picked up the one and only 5 pack of Holly pen blanks they had. I haven't turned Holly before, but I've been wanting to try it after seeing the nice finials others have turned from it. Glad I tried it! I think it's my new favorite finial material.The globe is maple dyed red and finished with spray lacquer, the finial an top are holly just sanded to 800 with a coat of Ren wax.
Then I remembered some little christmas lights someone had posted (sorry, can't remember who posted them), and decided tonight would be good time to give them a try. They're only about 1" long, but the were quick and easy. I used a sharpie to color them and some gold rub n buff on the ends.
Back to the grindstone tomorrow, only 5 days left :eek:!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques welcome.

Roland Martin
12-20-2011, 6:29 AM
Very nice ornament Kathy and the holly goes well with the dyed form. The bulbs are also great, they look like they would light up! Nice work.

Donny Lawson
12-20-2011, 6:38 AM
Nice work Kathy. Sounds like you still have alot more to turn.

Greg Just
12-20-2011, 7:04 AM
Nice job on everything. The light bulbs would make a great addition to a wrapped gift. Happy Holidays!

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2011, 7:24 AM
That sure is a sign that you are deep into the vortex... when you take a break from turning by turning something else!!!:D

Very nice work on everything! Really like the bulbs! You have the form down on those and like Roland said - they look like they could light up!

Have fun with the rest of your gift turning!!

Bill Embrey
12-20-2011, 9:00 AM
Oh man... see what you did now Kathy!!! My wife saw the Christmas lights and wants a string... "How long of a string dear?".... "You know... like the ones on the house... that long".... we'll see. Love the ornaments and the lights... looks like I'll be doing some during the holiday days off.

steven carter
12-20-2011, 9:15 AM
Very nice ornaments! I too bought a pack of the holly pen blanks to use for finials, and love the way it turns also. I did a vew light bulbs last year and used brass for the part where you have threads, I think I like yours better, the brass is nice and shiny, but the threads it look more like a real bulb. I am amazed at the amount all of stuff you complete, good luck finishing your list.

Hayes Rutherford
12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I like that "took a little break". Those lights remind me of the good old fashioned lights my grandfather put on the spruce in his front yard. Thanks for posting them.

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Kathy the ornament is really nice and like the holly contrasting with the bulb. I do like those light blubs.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
For the last 2 weeks or so, I've been turning like a mad woman ........
Comments and critiques welcome.
I do believe its been a good bit longer than that Kathy!;):) Nice ornaments by the way.

Craig Matheny
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
very nice might try the lights next year

Dick Wilson
12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Kathy, I know of what you mean by taking a break (not from turning), but doing something different. Too many of the same thing and you get to feeling like a production turner. Beautiful turnings.