PDA

View Full Version : I dont think newbie turners should watch this video......

Jack Gaskins
12-19-2011, 9:33 PM
Check out part 2 on using an AXE :eek:. How about those GLOVES :eek::eek: and part 3 do you think he is using a big enough drill bit.

I just dont have the words.........:eek:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qTp1_MLQQ&feature=related

Craig Matheny
12-19-2011, 9:55 PM
That's the video I watch before I turned my first pen I thought the ax worked very nicely

David Dobbs
12-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I wonder how many beers he had before the 1st time he tried the garden tools?

Jon McElwain
12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I think I'm going to check the Glaser site to see if they have a folding survival roughing shovel gouge...

Nope, no luck, I guess they are behind the times. Maybe Doug Thompson will beat them to it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Man... I would love to spend a week taking lessons from that guy! May be a little unorthodox but imagine the fun!!

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Where am I supposed to find a cryogenically treated, powdered metal axe with sufficiently high vanadium content? Sheesh!

Although it's a little hokey, he's basically just using a giant skew.

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I guess whatever works.

John Keeton
12-20-2011, 8:05 AM
Once you get past the wide array of tools he uses, he actually has very good tool control and his verbal instructions are very good. I suspect the guy has been turning for a long time and probably very good at it. The edge he had on the railroad spike was impressive!

Not sure about the gloves, though - that one bothers me.

Bill Embrey
12-20-2011, 8:57 AM
I love the "make do or do without" generation. My wifes grandfather was just like this guy and was truly amazing to work in the shop with. I grew up in construction, but I learned more about shop work and furniture making from him than anyone I had ever worked with. He was a master at "repurposing" tools to do what you needed done... and was always very safe about it.

John, I agree, the gloves scare me to death... I kept thinking that the loose finger tip was going to get snagged an yanked in between the wood and tool rest a couple of times when he was patting the spinning wood while talking...

Steve Kubien
12-20-2011, 5:27 PM
An axe is just a skew chisel. I didn't watch much of the video but I see no reason you couldn't sharpen a garden spade and have at it. The baggy gloves are another issue all together.