PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowl.

Nate Davey
12-19-2011, 9:09 PM
I saw another member make a bowl of this shape and really liked it. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was. It is also inspired by these urns, which I want to make a closer copy of next......shape not size. This is the first time I can say "This is exactly the shape I was shooting for.
The bowl is part of the free curly maple haul I made some time ago. 9"x4" finish is two coats of Bullseye Zinser Clear Shellac and Minwax WOP. I left one pic a little under exposed to try and show the feather and curl. Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism appreciated.
216461216462 216463

Jim Burr
12-19-2011, 9:14 PM
That is beautiful wood Nate!!! IMHO, shape doesn't work for me. Technically, no flat spots, finished well, nice foot. Just not my favorite. I am glad you hit your mark!! It's is a great achievement to have a picture in your head and realize it...You did good!!

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 9:17 PM
Nate, I recall seeing that form, but I don't recall the source either. I actually think I recall the form from a couple of different sources - in any event, you did a great job with it. The wood is very nice - and FREE!

I love the form in the pic you posted of the iron planters, or whatever they are - lot of possibilities there!! I may have to borrow that one and experiment some on paper if you don't mind.

Nate Davey
12-19-2011, 9:21 PM
Only if you share the process John. The picture tag says "Dynastic Urns - Hue" Vietnamese I think. The Google has some great sources for inspiration.:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Probably not my most favorite form on a bowl but the wood sure is pretty! Looking forward to seeing where this 'urn' form takes you!

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I've got a Clewes DVD where he turns a form a bit like this that I think was a Belgian beer bowl. I like it, and I'd suggest you fill it with beer immediately!

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Really nice wood Nate but not my favorite form.