PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 80 scraper. Bought used, wish to refurbish. Need some info and sources.

Gene Davis
12-19-2011, 8:51 PM
I bought one on eBay in OK condition, but wish to improve things.

The blade binding strap is fixed to the casting with shouldered thumbscrews, and one was apparently lost, and replaced by the previous owner with a brass screw and nut. I would like to replace both with a large head fillister screw, knurled around the perimeter, and slotted. Pretty much like what is used to fix a cap to a plane iron.

The screws, both of the mismatched ones, measure to be 10-24 in size. I was thinking of boring out and rethreading to 1/4-28. Any thoughts on that?

Where is a good source for these screws, whether thumb-type, or the large-head fillister slotted?

How about replacement blades for the 80? Who has them?

Mark Baldwin III
12-19-2011, 9:07 PM
St James Bay tool co, lists a blade for the 80, but not the screws, if you call there, he may have a screw that will work, as he has a selection of Stanley reproduction parts. Hock tools also has a #80 blade. I've heard that the blade for the LV version will fit. The 80 is a nice tool.

Jim Belair
12-19-2011, 9:13 PM
I put the LV blade in my #80.

Jim B

Bob Jones
12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Hock sells a nice one. Also, Pop woodworking did an article by David Charlesworth that was excellent in the last year. good luck, i'm still trying to get mine to work right. :)

Bill Houghton
12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
It's possible, but not certain, that Stanley still sells them. The reference on their parts website implies the thumbscrew, but pictures just the strap: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12-080-1-05-b-32.html. You might contact Lori Goucher, their parts goddess (if she's still there). The last contact information I had for her was: phone 800-262-2161 ex 55839, e-mail lgoucher@stanleyworks.com.

Gene Davis
12-22-2011, 3:44 PM
Thanks for the tip about Lori. Yes, she is still there, and she is mailing me the screw I need, at no charge! What a dear!

Bill Houghton
12-22-2011, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the tip about Lori. Yes, she is still there, and she is mailing me the screw I need, at no charge! What a dear!

I'm pleased that Stanley permits that little corner of expertise and old parts still to exist. So many companies toss that kind of thing out as Not With the Times, particularly after mergers. I just hope the people in Black and Decker (also known as Blackened Drecker) who sign off on some of the junk that's sold under the B&D name never notice her operation.