PDA

View Full Version : Question on long, slim pedestals, finials, etc.

Bill Hensley
12-19-2011, 7:58 PM
Are you folks using some form of fixed support or steady rest while turning the long skinny stuff? Or do you support it with your hand as you shape it?

I was taking light cuts but getting a lot of chatter so I fabricated a mini steady rest. It's better but I still get some chatter and have to keep adjusting the support.

Is the 220 grit gouge the answer?

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 8:02 PM
I use a finger from time to time, but I generally use light cuts without support. Although it's 'against the rules', I find cutting against the grain toward the chuck gives me a chance to be more aggressive with finials. The string steady looks like an interesting stabilizer, but I've never used one.

Jamie Donaldson
12-19-2011, 8:08 PM
For turning finials I most often use my L hand fingers on the back side for support. That counters and stabilizes the light pressure of cutting with the tool, and I'm almost always wearing a thin leather golf glove on my L hand as well.

Scott Hackler
12-19-2011, 8:33 PM
Once the finial thickness is close to 1/8" I start supporting the back side with my left index finger. I do a lot of "wrong" cuts when I go thin. I use a pull cut technique with the gouge turned over quite a bit and that is including thinning to 1/16" or thinner. I dunno, works for me. I also break the cardinal rule for sanding the finials and don't do it as I go, but after ALL the shaping is done. I start with 400 grit. I do support the finial with a finger during sanding as well.

Harry Robinette
12-19-2011, 8:33 PM
I use a string steady and sometimes 2 string steadies. I seen JF Escolon in Cincinnati a couple years ago and started using his string steady then, remember to use WAXED dental floss.Then it's easy cuts with a very sharp tool.

Bill Hensley
12-19-2011, 9:44 PM
Thanks all. I'll keep playing with it. I also want to check on the string steady.