PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Miter Gauge

Chris DiCiaccio
02-16-2003, 9:01 PM
Would appreciate any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of a 3rd party miter gauge like the EB-3 or Incra 3000se. I have a Dewalt 705 compound miter saw, a Jet Contractor Saw and have built a homemade tablesaw sled similar to Norm's. Other than being able to cut wider stock and to slide the fence closer to the blade is there good reason to have one of these? Charlotte Woodworking Show is coming up.

Howard Barlow
02-16-2003, 9:14 PM
I bought the Incra 2000. I didn't think it through before I bought it, any better that they did when they designed it. It's such a hassle to use. You have to remove, move, and replace parts to go from left to right. You can't just swap between grooves.

I find I use my Delta gauge for normal stuff. I would love the 1000 or 3000, though.

Bill Murphy
02-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Howard,

I have the Incra 1000 and find it very accurate and easy to use.

Bill
Reading, Pa.

Tony Sade
02-17-2003, 6:40 AM
I have the Incra 1000 and think its a great fence. Plastic washers on the bar allow you to tighten it to the slot with zero slop. I have the small medium and large (18. 24 & 36"? fences) that fit all types of cross-cutting jobs. A real fine product. HTH,

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-17-2003, 6:52 AM
I've got the Incra 2000, and thought it was a major pain to swap from side to side at first...but after doing it a few times it's not so bad. The 'fine adjustment' on the stop is very handy, and the machining of the gauge is dead on.

KC

Gary Hern
02-17-2003, 8:30 AM
I just picked it up at the show last weekend and used it yesterday for the first time. I really love it. Supported cuts all through the miter spectrum. Angles both way from the same side of the blade. Excellent stops, etc. I can't find any faults with it other than the price and I think that is worth every penny to help reducing gaps in miters without taking all the time for setup and sample cuts.

JayStPeter
02-17-2003, 1:37 PM
The Incra 1000 is nice. I got the SE version w/the flip fence. Very nice. I'll probably buy a longer fence for it from woodpeck someday.

Bruce Page
02-17-2003, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
I've got the Incra 2000, and thought it was a major pain to swap from side to side at first...but after doing it a few times it's not so bad. The 'fine adjustment' on the stop is very handy, and the machining of the gauge is dead on.

KC

Ditto What KC said. While I still find changing the 2000 from slot to slot a PIA, I really like the dead-on accuracy of the unit.

John Longwitz
02-17-2003, 5:57 PM
Incra 1000 is, IMHO, well worth the money. I got the Special Edition model with the dual flip-stop and extension fence. Got mine at Woodpecker's but I think Amazon/Tool Crib and others have it as well. Woodpecker's had better pricing, at the time, and I've always got good results buying there.

Rik Rickerson
02-17-2003, 9:37 PM
I've been very happy using woodhaven's deluxe miter gauge on a regular basis w/ an aluminum extrusion fence.

Rik

Kevin Graham
02-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Count me as another user of the Incra 2000. I haven't had the need to switch miter slots all that often, but on the few occasions I haven't had any trouble.