PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Hickory

Ken Hill
12-19-2011, 5:46 PM
I had heard about it, never seen it here until today, turned into the 1st blank I cut this morning and kabow, there they were. I turned 4 bowls and wont be messing with anymore of it, I do not like glueing stuff haha. If anyone wants some, it will fit in a Medium flatrate sized box. I am going to cut more tomorrow and try to capture the side they seem to be more attracted to.

Nate Davey
12-19-2011, 6:37 PM
Ken, I never saw a poopy piece of wood I didn't like. PM sent!

Ken Hill
12-19-2011, 6:52 PM
No worries Nate, cant stand this stuff haha

Jon McElwain
12-19-2011, 7:07 PM
This guy's big brother ended up all over my faceshield...

Wormy silver maple.

Steve Vaughan
12-19-2011, 7:40 PM
Hickory is beautiful turning wood and the wormholes make it even nicer!

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 7:56 PM
Looks like fun! I like the worm holes and defective stuff! If you're serious about parting with some of it, I'm interested.

Fred Belknap
12-19-2011, 8:00 PM
Wormy persimmon, ain't worth it.

Ken Hill
12-19-2011, 8:05 PM
Fred, have some of that as well, too much work haha

I will cut some more tomorrow and if anyone wants it, you are more then welcome to it. If not, it will become friends with my woodstove after a season of hanging out in the woodpile

Jamie Donaldson
12-19-2011, 8:11 PM
Protein! I hope you had your faceshield on!!

Ken Hill
12-19-2011, 8:18 PM
If the lathe is on ...so is the faceshield

The pictured rough out is finished, but I did not glue anything. The worm holes and soft areas do not go through far enough to affect the inner bowl. After a few days in DNA, I will pick out the soft areas and when finished, the voids will be part of it all.

robert baccus
12-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I charge extra for holes.------------old forester

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2011, 7:27 AM
Yup... been through that a few times! The trick is to grab them while they are still dizzy from all that spinning! That way they are gone before they decide to attack!! They sure do make a mess on your faceshield!!

Dan Hintz
12-20-2011, 9:29 AM
Yup... been through that a few times! The trick is to grab them while they are still dizzy from all that spinning! That way they are gone before they decide to attack!! They sure do make a mess on your faceshield!!
Try getting the buggers to stand still long enough to mark 'em with the laser!

Ken, if you see some interesting pieces that are wormy, I'll take them off of your hands. I like the look of filled voids (brass, turquoise, etc.), and it's a pretty wood either way.

Baxter Smith
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Looks like character to me Ken! I think they would be preferrable to the big black ants that get slung out and crawl over your arms and under your collar.

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 5:53 AM
Ok, with the oak burl out of the way, I will be working on this tree over the weekend. This isnt a big tree as far as diameter but will yield bowls from 8 inches or so down. If anyone wants a longer piece to cut into blanks other then bowls please tell me soon, once the Sthil gets busy things happen fast. I cant garuntee worms in every piece but the price is right.

We get them here as well Baxter, the chickens LOVE them haha! I usually fill the bucket up with worm filled bark and nasty pieces and take them to the chickens for some free protien.

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 5:55 AM
As far as shipping, Fed Ex was usually cheaper when I shipped the oak burl. Most prices were under $15 and I think I can get atleast 2 blanks in a box

Johnny England
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd still like a box if you have any left.

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Johnny no problem. If it would stop raining I would be out there right now cutting into it! I dont mind cutting in the rain, but a slick hillside and my John Deere arent always a great mix LOL! There is another 2 or 3 Hickorys laying there with this one but I have not cut into it to see if it has been visited by the worms. Those trees are a bit bigger but I will check their insides out to see what we have going on in there.

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 2:44 PM

Well, here is some that is now sealed and ready!

Ken Hill
12-27-2011, 3:57 PM
Ok, I will be boxing up 2 pieces per box, shipping will be less then $14 to the west coast and averaged around $12 for the burl I sent out.

I just oiled this one so you could see the color. For those that sent me a message & address, I will get you rates this evening