PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple HF

Rob Cunningham
12-19-2011, 1:15 PM
I got some Crabapple form a tree taken down at work. I was amazed at the figure in this wood. I hope the rest of it looks this good.
The HF is 6" diameter and 4-1/2" tall. I finished it with Antique Oil and buffed it. Comments and critiques always welcome

Marty Eargle
12-19-2011, 1:17 PM
That is indeed some beautiful wood! And a great piece to show it off.

I think the form would have looked a bit better without a foot, or at least one quite a bit smaller. But this one certainly doesn't distract from what you've made.

Jim Burr
12-19-2011, 2:06 PM
Beautiful!! Maybe a little smaller/shorter foot...maybe 1/8"? I like the finish...the first two look a little glossy...the 3rd is very nice!

John Spitters
12-19-2011, 2:15 PM
Beautiful piece of wood, I would also agree that it would look better perhaps with no foot, just a slight hollow recess.

John

Richard Jones
12-19-2011, 2:18 PM
Gorgeous wood, looks like a map of the world!!!

I'm OK with the foot, maybe just a bit shorter.

Thanks for sharing. Crabapple brings back some memories of the fruit squishing between my toes!! And that, my friend, wasn't yesterday.........

Baxter Smith
12-19-2011, 2:27 PM
Great wood, great shape, great finish! I bet you are happy you have more!

Ken Hill
12-19-2011, 2:38 PM
Looks perfect to me wow!!!!

steven carter
12-19-2011, 2:46 PM
Spalted crabapple at that! Nice form, I'm ok with the foot as it is. Did you do multiple coats of the oil, and if so how many? Seems like a lot of shine for just oil and buffing, I may have to rethink my home brew oil, I don't think I could ever get that much shine just from it.

Steve Vaughan
12-19-2011, 2:50 PM
Man, that is purdy! And the finish is awesome. I don't care for the foot either, but really, that thing is really nice and it's gonna look great no matter where you put it.

Sparky Paessler
12-19-2011, 3:17 PM
Beautiful Wood and a great finish! I would also have turned off the foot but it is still great with it!

John Keeton
12-19-2011, 3:22 PM
Rob, looks like you have stirred the "foot - no foot" crowd!!:D I like feet on bowls, and on some forms. I think this one would do fine without the foot, but it certainly is a nice looking form and the wood is super.

Prashun Patel
12-19-2011, 3:24 PM
I like the foot, I really like the wood. I really, really like the finish.

David E Keller
12-19-2011, 3:43 PM
Gorgeous! Unbelievable finish! Nicely done!

Rob Cunningham
12-20-2011, 1:01 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I couldn't decide whether to leave the foot or not. If the rest of the log looks like this, I'll do another one without a foot.
Steven- I think I put on 8 coats of Antique Oil. There were a few spots that just kept drinking it up. I sanded lightly between coats with 2000 grit Abralon just to smooth out any rough spots in the coat. After it cured, I sanded with 2000 and 4000 Abralon, then buffed with Menzerna 2L and 16 compounds.
I took this to the holiday fair at work with intentions of selling it, then decided that I couldn't part with it so I put it on the table for a display piece. Two people inquired about buying it but I just couldn't do it.

Michelle Rich
12-20-2011, 1:05 PM
lovely crabapple wood. didn't know it could be so gorgeous. I like it in the 3rd pic best..

steven carter
12-20-2011, 2:58 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the update on the finish protocol, I appreciate it.

Steve