PDA

View Full Version : Owners of Grizzly G0715P saw

Dave Aronson
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I just purchased one and am waiting for delivery. I saw multiple good reviews of the saw here so I’m pretty confident with my decision. For owners of the saw, do you have any setup or operation tips for the saw? I’m coming from the world of contractor saws.

-Dave

craig greene
12-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I have had mine for about 6 months now. My last saw was a contractor’s style as well. Others have said that they have had trouble with setting the fence up but mine took very little adjustment. As for the other set up items, miter slot, blade 90 & 45 degree stops, they were square and aligned right out of the box. If you plan to run it on 110, make sure you get #T23999 circuit breaker. The saw comes set up for 220 but can run on 110 as well.

Dave Aronson
12-20-2011, 12:11 AM
thanks, I'm looking forward to it. It should get here in 2 more days, I was shocked when I saw the estimated delivery date.

I have 220 in the shop, I need to run another outlet for it. One more question, how long is the power cord on the saw?

craig greene
12-20-2011, 6:05 AM
The power cord is about 6' long. I was going to lengthen mine as one reviewer had done but I decided to make a 220 extension cord instead. My saw is on a mobile base and I push it out of the way when not in use. (My shop is a small area in the basement) Go to one of the box stores and get the largest flexible cable they cut to length. The one I got is rate a lot higher than anything the saw will ever pull. Then get a male and female end for it, and you have it. A 10' length was all I need to reach to the center of my shop area.

One other thing, if you have not purchased a zero clearance insert, there are no aftermarket ones available at this time that I'm aware of. The opening is larger than any I have found so you will either have to make one or buy the one from grizzly.

Dave Aronson
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info. bummer it is only 6' long.... I will probably have to make an extension cable in addition to pulling some wire for the extra 220 outlet I was going to add to the circuit so both my bandsaw and table saw were on the same circuit.

I have 2 of these http://www.ptreeusa.com/zero_clearance.htm which says that it will fit Grizzly, if not, they claim they will exchange it for the correct size.

Curt Harms
12-21-2011, 6:37 AM
It's shouldn't be that hard to replace the existing 6' cord. I made a 240 v. extension cord because I may want to use it with 2 machines but my cab saw has a replacement cord long enough for any likely need. Same with the Jointer/Planer. The biggest problem I've had is getting the plastic strain relief gadget apart & back together. My solution has been to replace the plastic one with a metal box connector.

Dave Aronson
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
cool, I'm gonna swing by the borg to pick up stuff to either replace the cord or make and extension cord.

Dave Aronson
12-24-2011, 7:20 PM
The saw arrived and I finished assembling it today. after a small amount of adjustments I was able to get it dialed in.

I did have a few questions:
1) the riving knife is the width for a full kerf blade, do they make one for thin kerf blades?
2) the measuring tape is only for the right side of the blade and hangs off the edge of the rail. Seems like they should have made a tape that covers both sides of the blade.
3) What is the best matched blade for this saw?

craig greene
12-24-2011, 9:57 PM
Dave,

I'm using thin kerf blades on my saw without any trouble. The blades I have been using are Woodworker II, Freud Diablo 60 tooth from borg, (very nice low cost blade!) and a Ridged, all thin kerf. I was worried that the knife would not work but it does just fine.

The measuring tape is only for the right side and shipped a little long. You are to cut the end off before mounting the tape. Mine is just over 33 1/2 in. showing. One thing to think about and I may do to mine, if you mount the rails one hole to the right from norm, you can increase the right side rip capacity about 5-6". Then the tape will not need to be cut. You will probably find like I did, you rarely use the fence on the left side of the blade and therefore really don't need a tape on that side of the rail. That is why I'm thinking to remount my rails one hole to the right.

You should be able to use any blade you would like. I have thin kerf as that is what I had from my last lower powered saw and they have plenty of life left in them. I also use an Oshlun 8" dado set with no trouble. (without riving knife of course) The saw has plenty of power and the blade change is easy with the wide opening and shaft lock.

Congratulations on the new saw and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Dave Aronson
12-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Dave,

I'm using thin kerf blades on my saw without any trouble. The blades I have been using are Woodworker II, Freud Diablo 60 tooth from borg, (very nice low cost blade!) and a Ridged, all thin kerf. I was worried that the knife would not work but it does just fine.

The measuring tape is only for the right side and shipped a little long. You are to cut the end off before mounting the tape. Mine is just over 33 1/2 in. showing. One thing to think about and I may do to mine, if you mount the rails one hole to the right from norm, you can increase the right side rip capacity about 5-6". Then the tape will not need to be cut. You will probably find like I did, you rarely use the fence on the left side of the blade and therefore really don't need a tape on that side of the rail. That is why I'm thinking to remount my rails one hole to the right.

You should be able to use any blade you would like. I have thin kerf as that is what I had from my last lower powered saw and they have plenty of life left in them. I also use an Oshlun 8" dado set with no trouble. (without riving knife of course) The saw has plenty of power and the blade change is easy with the wide opening and shaft lock.

Congratulations on the new saw and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks, and Merry Xmas to you as well.

I think my thin kerf blade is slightly thinned than the knife, so I'll need to swap out my blades for full kerf ones or make a new riving knife that is thinner.

I do like the blade changing mechanism and the splitter easy on/off. Maybe I'll use the splitter now rather than keep it in my box like on my contractor saw which was a major pain to swap out.

Jarod Michaels
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I am thinking about getting this saw. Where does one find the T23999 circuit breaker? I searched Grizzly and they do not have it listed. Thanks!

craig greene
02-08-2012, 11:12 PM
It is not listed in their catalog or on the web but if you call and place your order, tell them you want to operate the saw on 110 and you need the breaker. They will know what you are talking about and send it. I can't remember how much it cost but it was not very much. My plan was to use 110 as well but it will need a dedicated circuit anyway and the electrician installed a 220 for about the same price so I went with that.

Jarod Michaels
02-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks! I have a bit more saving to do. I want to upgrade it to the 7 ft rails. Is that an easy conversion?

Dave Aronson
02-09-2012, 1:24 PM
The way the rails bolt on I don't think it would be a hard conversion but you may want to make a support to keep the saw from tipping.